Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs. Electric

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
It is actualy best to heat the nitro motor before you start it. As long as it is tuned properly then you are set to go. Most people will tell you, a small break after running for an hour straight would do them some good. If it is getting too hot then it probly isn't geared properly.
When the heat guns come out during the winter time at the local dirt track to heat those nitro motors so they will just crank, it usually pops all the breakers due to the overload!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by barnettgs
With Nitro kit, I can put receiver and receiver battery box inside balloons for water-proofing. Servo is fine as its electronic is inside sealed box. Nitro motor is not a problem and can cope with raining providing its air filter has good cover.

But on electric, you can't put ESC in balloon as it runs hot! Electric motor is not sealed either, it's well exposed to water.

Yea they do not run electronics in boats? You can seal electronics if you need. Personally running any servo in the rain you are shortening the life of the servo. You are grasping on no electrics in the rain. It can be done. It is not advisable for any of them. Infact some of the speedos say they are water resistanct\waterproof.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
stop watch temp gun bluh you must be a hard core racer lol

but Seriously if i saw one electric guy with one battery pack id lagh you guys are nuts gotta have the latest packs out and trust me not just one pac now dont get me started on the brushes and esc yous gotta have to be up front

Well start laughing at me. I ran a single pack for about 1.5 years in 2 vehicles every weekend. 1 pack. With a brushless it is like a nitro. More power than I can hope to ever put on the average track.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
20 min main's thats nothing hour mains is worth braging about thats right electric cant handle that
Actually I have a full race truggy that can probably about finish an hour race if you consider that I would be several laps up on you when my battery finally dumps with about 5 minutes to go.... and while you are trying to make up those laps I could take a minute and pop in another battery to run the last couple minutes while you flame out trying to go without that last fuel stop so you can catch me....

Seriously... I have only run it about 45 minutes at one time but it is good for more like an hour on some tracks.

I also have a nitro truggy... and I do well with it too. I like both. But I gotta say.... that it can be pretty funny to sit back and watch all the carnage and scrambling that happens with the nitro guys during a typical race day.

The frantic running around to refire and refuel when it flames out just as a race is about to start... or a guy who has to run back to the pit and change a plug in two seconds cause it's died and it's better to be safe than sorry... so throw another $8 plug at it. That will fix it. Happens every day to several guys...

Again... I have fun running nitro too but good grief it can be a pita sometimes...... so that's why we enjoy the tranquility and superiority of bl/lipo
Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh, btw... length of the race has nothing to do with it being real racing or not. How soon people forget... Brian Kinwald, Masami, Matt Francis, Joel Johnson,.... and guess what Jammin Jay himself ran in his racing days???? 1/10 electric.... 5 minute racing... like most of the great r/c racers.

And Steve Erkle-like engine noise and smoke don't make it "real" racing either.

Nitro r/c noise is more embarassing to motorsports than it is a macho cool thing. "braaaap"... Um yeah.. that really makes me think of 5000hp fire breathing ground shaking race cars.

Think: moped vs. ducatti
minibike vs. harley
yugo vs. viper

"electric" guys just don't try to fool themselves that it's something it's not. nitro radio control toy cars don't make you Earnhart
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Steve Erkle-like engine noise
I about spit DR.Pepper on my keyboard Perfect.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

I also have a nitro truggy... and I do well with it too. I like both. But I gotta say.... that it can be pretty funny to sit back and watch all the carnage and scrambling that happens with the nitro guys during a typical race day.

The frantic running around to refire and refuel when it flames out just as a race is about to start... or a guy who has to run back to the pit and change a plug in two seconds cause it's died and it's better to be safe than sorry... so throw another $8 plug at it. That will fix it. Happens every day to several guys...

Again... I have fun running nitro too but good grief it can be a pita sometimes...... so that's why we enjoy the tranquility and superiority of bl/lipo
Way too funny!!!!! I enjoy the comedy watching them panic asking for everybody to wait, but if the race director waited about the time one got running again another one would die starting it over again....what a waste of racing time. Start the race!!!

Last edited by Craps; 05-08-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Oh, btw... length of the race has nothing to do with it being real racing or not. How soon people forget... Brian Kinwald, Masami, Matt Francis, Joel Johnson,.... and guess what Jammin Jay himself ran in his racing days???? 1/10 electric.... 5 minute racing... like most of the great r/c racers.

And Steve Erkle-like engine noise and smoke don't make it "real" racing either.

Nitro r/c noise is more embarassing to motorsports than it is a macho cool thing. "braaaap"... Um yeah.. that really makes me think of 5000hp fire breathing ground shaking race cars.

Think: moped vs. ducatti
minibike vs. harley
yugo vs. viper

"electric" guys just don't try to fool themselves that it's something it's not. nitro radio control toy cars don't make you Earnhart
Even funnier! Go Erkle racers!!!!