Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 09:50 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Here is a picture of how the rear one should be. The front rear will be just the opposite and face out away from the car.
Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-offset-ballstud.jpg  
Old 10-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
Well I ran the new R3 tonight. Car was fast all night long. In the main I was taken out on the 1st corner and batted back to 3rd in A but did run the fastest lap of day. I can't believe how fast Iw as and I even ran a one and have never ran one before at this track. Car was smooth and easy to drive all night. I very impressed with it.

Only real problem I have I think I read about before is their is just not enough steering throw on the R3 steering rack. The steering blocks are far from turning as far as they did on my R2. It would have really helped me to have more throw.

Speedtech don't have the Speedway ones in stock at this time and I'm going to a big race in 2 weeks and need to have this fixed before that. I will run the car next week and want to have a solution for it by then.

Ca I use the steering setup off my R2 and just change the center link between the steering links and the links going to the hubs? If I find a Speedway Pal steering rack how much more throw will I get? I'm looking for a blue one or would like to use the stock steering from my R2?
If you aren't able to get parts in time then you'll have to resort to adding 1deg toe in in the front. This will give you extra mid corner steering because this forces the outter wheel to turn tighter (don't forget- the weight transfer while turning goes to your outter wheel while the inner wheel unloads). It's almost like turning up the dual rate on the outside only tire. Likewise, running .5 to 1 degree toe out really helps to settle an oversteering car at mid corner because the outter wheel isn't able to turn or steer as much.
Usually this principle works best when the hubs are the things that lock out at full steering throw so hopefully having the steering rack lock your steering throw doesn't mess up this little tip....
Old 10-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Guys,

I'm also thinking of swaping in the R3 for a new ride, so if you know ne1 looking to be hooked up with a rather sweet R3 with ALL the options already on it.......... all the alloy bits including PAL hubs and Xenon ones

Loads of spares including diff, oneways short and long wishbones etc. etc.

Would consider swap for similarly hoped-up Pro4

Anyone wanting pics etc. just drop me a mail or ask on the forums
Old 10-03-2004, 07:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Merciless sent you a PM. I might be intersted in all you parts. Should post a few pics on the thread.

Dave any ideas on my steering problems? I know you know if the R2 setup would fit with a little modification. MikeR gave me something to try until I either get a Speedway Pal rack or modify my R2 steering setup onto my R3.

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Nice Paint

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Look Who has some nice paint on the New ALEX M6 Bodies at the Tokyo Hobby Show .. I wonder who painted them ..

I tried a few new colors of some same patterns
-Dave
very nice Dave
The purple works well

Merciless you have PM
Old 10-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Right guys a few pic's of my loverly car that might get sold if i can get the right sort a cash for it..................

They are huge so don't bother to look if your not interested or on a modem ....... no moaning plz

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rod/Complete.JPG

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rod/Front.JPG

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rod/FrontSideOn.JPG

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rod/RearSideOn.JPG

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rod/Bottom.JPG

Thanks for looking and it really is as good as it looks
Old 10-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

You've cut the top deck up
not sure I like that idea, must be sacrificing a fair amount of rigidity.

I'd like the PAL hubs, the spare diffs and the mid span arms but other that I'll stick with my trusty Xenon R2
Old 10-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Nice Paint

Originally posted by Herminator
very nice Dave
The purple works well

Thanks Pete. ... I'm also working on some new stuff now too ..

-Dave
Old 10-03-2004, 04:19 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Default Re: Re: Re: Nice Paint

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Thanks Pete. ... I'm also working on some new stuff now too ..

-Dave
That paint work is very nice. I like that green one.

Any ideas on the steering rack setup on the R3? I think I will try to fit the R2 bell crank steering because I need more steering throw and I can't find a SPeedway Pal aluminum one to buy in blue. Speedtech is out of them.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Herminator
You've cut the top deck up
not sure I like that idea, must be sacrificing a fair amount of rigidity.

I'd like the PAL hubs, the spare diffs and the mid span arms but other that I'll stick with my trusty Xenon R2
You've cut the top deck up NOT REALLY WEIRD as it allows me to have much better angles on the top links

As for stiffness/rigidity i got the alloy center shaft holders/bulkhead braces, So with the 4 screws holding them down you tell me how it going to be less rigid think about it !!! the cuda isn't designed like other cars that was the only reason i could do it !!! (it's a mod i can't believe someone else hasn't tried before, but without the alloy braces it simiply wouldn't be possible because of flex which my car does not !!!!)

Sorry but i'll mention this one last time for everyone i AIN'T splitting up my car.....IF someone wants it great, if not GREAT too i said i was THINKING about swapping it in and that exactly what i meant. If i'm offered something sensible for it i'll let her go, if not i'll happily race it still or simply buy another car.....
Old 10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally posted by Merciless
You've cut the top deck up NOT REALLY WEIRD as it allows me to have much better angles on the top links

As for stiffness/rigidity i got the alloy center shaft holders/bulkhead braces, So with the 4 screws holding them down you tell me how it going to be less rigid think about it !!! the cuda isn't designed like other cars that was the only reason i could do it !!! (it's a mod i can't believe someone else hasn't tried before, but without the alloy braces it simiply wouldn't be possible because of flex which my car does not !!!!)

Sorry but i'll mention this one last time for everyone i AIN'T splitting up my car.....IF someone wants it great, if not GREAT too i said i was THINKING about swapping it in and that exactly what i meant. If i'm offered something sensible for it i'll let her go, if not i'll happily race it still or simply buy another car.....
Merciless,
On the photo (bottom) you shown, I saw you mount your A-arms on the outer screw hole instead the inner hole (as the manuel show), Can you tell me the benfit of doing this??

also, the A-arm that you mount on the outer screw hole, is it the original A-arm (stock one from the kit )?? if so, do you need to modify or replace any tunbucles to make it works??

I am new to my R3, so hopefully you dont mind explain this to me!?
Old 10-03-2004, 05:44 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

I would say he is using the Midspan arms so you use the outer holes I would think or at least I do on my car.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

New Collectors edition R3 Barracuda pic's... .... hmmmm I wonder who had there bulkheads done like this before Alex Racing ....
-Dave
Old 10-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Chappi,

He, like most of us, is using the mid-span arms. The wheels will still sit the same distance from the chassis, but the mid-span arms change the physics of the pivot point and the roll center. From the Xray website:

Andvantage on short suspension arms

Q: What is the andvantage on short suspension arms?
A: The short arms change the way the car reacts when cornering. Since the pick-up points have moved over a cm to the outside the chassis roll when cornering is reduced. This makes the car more direct, increasing steering response. In addition, if the top links are unchanged, the roll center is lowered slightly, increasing grip. All this contributes to better lap times as the car is able to carry more speed through the corners.

Having said all that, this advantage is less when running on large flowing tracks, especially if grip is low. However, the 2003 Euros result with the Factory Kit prototypes finishing 2nd and 3rd on a large flowing track shows that even there the short arms were certainly not a disadvantage.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mmmmm, tasty!

How much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.