Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
6-7 shims? Are you sure you got the bearings pushed all the way in? i'm only using 2 shims, and the black bits i'm not using
Yeah, it was a good bit.. I actually just found another short silver spacer from the Ofna shim kit, and shimmed up my second CB. This time I put three small bearings in up front and it shimmed MUCH easier.. Just one thin shim and the big kyosho washer-shim for the Fioroni clutch behind the bigger bearing.

This new CB had a slight deformity on the front edge-lip, so I had to kind of hammer the three front bearings in. Hope it's OK. Doesn't look like I'll be getting those front three bearings out either..

While I'm at it - what's the deal with a standard servo tray? I do not like the lay down style, for several reasons.. One, pain to change. Two, too many parts - one of which is missing from both my 1/7 kits.. Three, the servo is at more risk in a crash.. Etc.. Don't like the design.. Can you just throw in any old Jammin or Ofna servo tray? If so, which ones exactly?...
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
i was thinking & looking at the king headz 2 peice motor mount to easlily switch motors from open to spec class ...has anyone tried that idea yet ?
I have been using the King Headz for years in offroad and now in my GT8. Very good solution for swapping motors on the fly. Remember to buy extra blocks for the second motor.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Yeah, it was a good bit.. I actually just found another short silver spacer from the Ofna shim kit, and shimmed up my second CB. This time I put three small bearings in up front and it shimmed MUCH easier.. Just one thin shim and the big kyosho washer-shim for the Fioroni clutch behind the bigger bearing.

This new CB had a slight deformity on the front edge-lip, so I had to kind of hammer the three front bearings in. Hope it's OK. Doesn't look like I'll be getting those front three bearings out either..

While I'm at it - what's the deal with a standard servo tray? I do not like the lay down style, for several reasons.. One, pain to change. Two, too many parts - one of which is missing from both my 1/7 kits.. Three, the servo is at more risk in a crash.. Etc.. Don't like the design.. Can you just throw in any old Jammin or Ofna servo tray? If so, which ones exactly?...
Check these guys out. I think they make the stand-up servo
radio tray that you are looking for. Here is a link to their site.
http://maxvelocityracing.com/default.aspx
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I've seen that. But was just wondering, could I pick up a normal RTR part off a buggy or truggy for it? I'm in Germany and don't want to have to order from abroad...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Either buy the one you know will work or
get your hands on every Jammin radio tray
made and see which one will work the best
with the least modifications to install.
You may have to drill and counter-sink
one or more new holes in the chassis.
If you're not able to do that, just buy
the one that works.

On another note, let me look back in this thread
to see if I can figure out just what plastic part
you are missing. I may seem a little rash and short
tempered with some people on this site and to
show you I'm not all bad. I will dig through my
extra parts and if I have it and I will mail it to you.
PM me your complete address and any other info
needed to get the part to you.
It's going to warm up here today, so i'm going out
to burn some nitro, I'll get back to you tonight.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

I use the maxvelocityracing radio tray and it is very good. Exactly what part are you missing?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
I have been using the King Headz for years in offroad and now in my GT8. Very good solution for swapping motors on the fly. Remember to buy extra blocks for the second motor.
thanks for the info i'll be ordering one
Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, wouldn't the servo still be in danger of side impact regardless if it were in a vertical or horizontal position being so close to the edge
Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Many racers change the DM1 spec front shocks to vertical to achieve
better handling. The same with the DM1, some racers have achieved better handling
by changing both Front and Rear shocks to vertical mount configuration.
thanks for the info.
I'm thinking to do the shock conversion on my 1/7 pro.... what do I need for the conversion? shock tower and .....? can I use the same shocks?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Huh? No PM from Herrsavage.
Oh well, it's all good, the offer still stands.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal
Hmm, wouldn't the servo still be in danger of side impact regardless if it were in a vertical or horizontal position being so close to the edge
The risk of servo damage is significantly less when orienting the servos vertically due to no servo components overhanging the chassis. On the original design the servo horns and top of the servos were overhanging the chassis and were the first point of impact of a side hit. With the servos oriented vertically your points of impact are first the chassis and secondly the servo tray. Even in the event of a direct servo tray impact you are displacing the servo tray and servos and not directly impacting the servos themselves.
Attached Thumbnails new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1262.jpg   new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1257.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jneg
I use the maxvelocityracing radio tray and it is very good. Exactly what part are you missing?
I snapped up two 1/7 "Sport" kits - sold here with the Porsche body - basically the RTR 1/7, but as a kit.. I.e. minus the Pro special bits..

Both kits were missing the little three point servo arm thingy that is the crux of the throttle servo linkage. The bit that fits on the bearing and connexts the servo arm to the lingage that goes to the throttle and brakes..

Rageworks, thanks for the offer.. PM coming.

Btw, I would expect the normal Jammin servo trays to mount up. The bat/receiver box is the same, etc.. But Idk, maybe the holes are different? Don't guess anybody out there with a DM-1 also has a Jammin or Ofna buggy or truggy.. I just think stand-up servos would make more sense...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

I just went through all of my Jammin servo trays
to see if any would match up with the one on
my 1/7 DM-1 Pro. The tray from the X1-CR buggy is
very close and may work with little modification.
The X-2, X2T, X-1 CRT and Ofna Picco buggy
servo trays don't even come close to working.

Last edited by rageworks; 02-19-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Ok, thanks anyway...

Ya-hoo!... Just put two tanks through my DM-1 at a local public track(in a park, no fees, nothing..), this time with the Porsche body and some onroad tires.. VERY fun car to drive.. And that old re-pinched Mach - runs like a dream... Amazing really.. I raced that in two different truggeis and a buggy, and had it in my Muggy briefly.. Must be over three years old with a good ten gallons on it.. No cut-outs, and performance was good.. The Spektrum/Savox Servo was MUCH better too than the old one I had in there. All-around very fun car to drive.. There were two 1/5 gasser onroaders there too... C YA!!... I actually felt kind of bad.. Bigger ain't always better.. Well, faster anyway...

Was interesting to have to adjust to my normal offroad driving style, of throwing the turns full-tilt back and forth.. Can well imagine this car is good training for 1/8 offroad...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, thanks anyway...

Ya-hoo!... Just put two tanks through my DM-1 at a local public track(in a park, no fees, nothing..), this time with the Porsche body and some onroad tires.. VERY fun car to drive.. And that old re-pinched Mach - runs like a dream... Amazing really.. I raced that in two different truggeis and a buggy, and had it in my Muggy briefly.. Must be over three years old with a good ten gallons on it.. No cut-outs, and performance was good.. The Spektrum/Savox Servo was MUCH better too than the old one I had in there. All-around very fun car to drive.. There were two 1/5 gasser onroaders there too... C YA!!... I actually felt kind of bad.. Bigger ain't always better.. Well, faster anyway...

Was interesting to have to adjust to my normal offroad driving style, of throwing the turns full-tilt back and forth.. Can well imagine this car is good training for 1/8 offroad...
Pics and videos are always appreciated. Be sure to grab some next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.