Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which lipo charger is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default which lipo charger is best?

I heard that orion is not the best for lipo because it is not balanced....
I wish to play 1/10 touring with 4800mah 7.4v lipo!
thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

get the orion flight chager, they would not sell it if it was no good
Old 10-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I say get the ICE. Most people who get it just for their LiPo, soon find themselves using it in place of their more expensive chargers. The thing works, and it works well.

It also keeps you from being tempted to do anything stupid like charge at 10amps or something crazy like some people are trying.

The Duratrax ICE isn't just the best LiPo charger, its one of the best around period.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gtimax
thanks
Team Orion's Advantage Charging System and the Advanced Flight Charger or both great chargers. The choice of which one to get depends on what it's primary use is. if you are charging mostly NiMh packs and LiPo occasionally, I would go with the Advantage Charging System.

If you are charging mostly LiPo and need to charge several different types of LiPo, the Advanced Flight Charger is a better choice. However it will still charge your NiMh receiver, transmitter, and main 7.2 volt packs plus any of your LiPo packs. It sells for under $80.00
Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtimax
thanks
Both Orion chargers are very good and they also offer an inexpensive balancer as well. The ICE mentioned doesn't have a balance function either. It appears you are using the Orion 4800 pack? If so why not there charger
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

The Orion Advantage Line of chargers does not come with a balancing function on purpose. This was done because most people who own quality Li-po's such as those made by Kokam® will rarely if ever need to balance there cells and adding this feature will drive up the cost and serve as a function that may rarely if ever be used. We do sell a balancer seperate:

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System

Which can be used inline with either charger to allow those that feel the need to balance there batteries during charging or on there own without a charger. Just a note, we have been running several of our own batteries for over a year now in testing and have yet to have any go out of balance.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Count me as another vote for the Advanced Flight Charger. It's tiny for one, inexpensive, and does a great job. It's got a backlight on the screen too, which is awfully nice when you're in dimly lit pits. I've been using it to charge my LiPo and NiMH transmitter batteries. Before that, I'd use it to peak my NiMH race packs while my dedicated NiMH charger was working on another pack. No problems with any of it.

If you're going to do pure LiPo, I can't suggest enough that you check out Much More's Power Master Mini. It's tiny, and solid, and it's all you need to power your LiPo charger. And at $55, the price is right.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have and like the ICE. It charges my IB3800's, AA's, and 6000 mah Lipo like a champ. I like the motor run feature for breaking in motors. For $120 I don't know if I could have beat it.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the question is literally which lipo charger is best, the answers are:

at $200, the Thunder Power 1010C
at $300-500, the Schulze isl6 636 and Orbit V6 and Pro

Those chargers are all serious overkill for any battery used in an R/C car, though. The Ice and Hyperion chargers are a good combination of lipo charging algorithm quality, multichemistry ability, and price.

-Adam
Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Why hasnt anyone mentioned the GFX? I see they are going down in price these days on RCtech
Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has a LiPo mod become availible for the GFX. Last I checked, it didn't do LiPo.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Team Orion's Advantage Charging System and the Advanced Flight Charger or both great chargers. The choice of which one to get depends on what it's primary use is. if you are charging mostly NiMh packs and LiPo occasionally, I would go with the Advantage Charging System.

If you are charging mostly LiPo and need to charge several different types of LiPo, the Advanced Flight Charger is a better choice. However it will still charge your NiMh receiver, transmitter, and main 7.2 volt packs plus any of your LiPo packs. It sells for under $80.00
This really sums it up. Stick with Orion - they are at the leading edge of quality Lipo batteries and chargers.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lol @ Tsquare.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone over here looking for a LiPo charger, take a look at the Pro Peak Prodigi 2, its got all the functions you need for under £60. I think its rebranded and sold as a Hyperion (or something else) in other countries, I can't remember.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Count me as another vote for the Advanced Flight Charger. It's tiny for one, inexpensive, and does a great job. It's got a backlight on the screen too, which is awfully nice when you're in dimly lit pits. I've been using it to charge my LiPo and NiMH transmitter batteries. Before that, I'd use it to peak my NiMH race packs while my dedicated NiMH charger was working on another pack. No problems with any of it.

If you're going to do pure LiPo, I can't suggest enough that you check out Much More's Power Master Mini. It's tiny, and solid, and it's all you need to power your LiPo charger. And at $55, the price is right.
+1 for the Advantage. It's small and relatively inexpensive for the features it carries.