Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Man, I'll bet AE's long standing deal with Yokomo must be in dire straits seeing as the majority of their team members have been running BJ4s for the last couple years.
Exactly - that's why I picked my words carefully - 'had' a long standing deal. Basically, the goal posts have moved considerably. Infact, everything has changed. Mini's have taken off, brushless, Li Pos, MT's, Truggies, RTR Nitros - all these competition oriented companies have had to broaden their range of products just to stay in business.

I want to see the likes of Losi, AE, Schumacher etc stay in the mix for a long time to come.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think Losi or Associated will be going anywhere.

If the big companies (Losi, for example) released all of their classified information, you guys wouldn't have anything to discuss on the internet!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I don't think Losi or Associated will be going anywhere.

If the big companies (Losi, for example) released all of their classified information, you guys wouldn't have anything to discuss on the internet!
You may have a point there!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

There is a TON of stuff involved behind the scenes of what goes on at the major manufacturers that a lot of hobbyists take for granted and don't take the time to understand..partially because you're not exposed to it, and partially because you don't need to know.

Production costs, R&D required, intended audience, current competition, direction of the industry, etc...there's a TON of stuff involved is releasing new projects, especially new cars. Personally, I didn't really know how involved this whole thing was until recently with the 8IGHT, and I'm sure I've only seen the surface of what needs to happen for a company that big, to make an investment that big.

Discussion is fine..I don't think anyone will say that you guys are in the wrong by talking about stuff like this, just PLEASE keep it under control.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Well engineering industry is engineering industry, whether you're in the business of making 'toy' cars or wings for commercial jet liners. At the end of the day, we're all consumers. However, some consumers are more 'equal' than others.....

In relation to the subject of RC Racing, racing model cars etc, I feel the term 'hobbyist' is rather inappropriate. I'm certain that many others feel the same way, but I look at what we do as a sport, rather than a hobby. I'm quite convinced that by promoting our RC Racing as a sport, we'll one day receive the same kind of backing and recognition from the various authorities that other more 'mainstream' sports currently enjoy at present.

I certainly hope this discussion is fine - kinda negates the whole purpose of this thread, or indeed the whole forum, otherwise. If anyone did feel that there was a gross wrong doing in discussing 'will there be a losi truggy', than hopefully they'ld quickly explain what we were all wrong about!

Regardless of what Losi is prepared to announce, or what the 'insiders' are prepared to tell us here on RCTech, there's a whole bunch of people betting that they will release a Truggy before we get much older.

What is it they say about 'on the drawing boards'?..........
Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

One thing nice about the Losi Truggy/Buggy ventures (some more ready than others) is that they are fresh and not copies or Chinese dupes of existing designs.

That said I have my reservations about the changes Losi is adding to the Buggy, but I'll wait to see a NORMAL sportsman level driver actually gain lap times with the chassis change, not what the Pro's can do. Think of Tiger Woods and me golfing. We both use ball X, then swap to a radical new design Ball Y, his results are better, mine are average gains at best. Pros are different than joes....granted there are joes that are coming up to the Pros so that skews things. We had a local 1/8th scaler start with a Hyper 7 PBS and Hyper 8 port, threw in a RB WS7II and lap times went down 2 seconds. He then swapped the stuff to a Pro-Spec, another 2 seconds...thats the gains that matter more.

AE is now owned by TTR and its no secret. I'm shocked they would make a Buggy or Truggy since TTR has some great existing offerings. So long as they are good, the more the merrier!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

binaryterror - Just my own speculation, but I think the Associated name carries much more clout, especially in the U.S., than the TTR moniker does. Even if TTR does the production of an AE-badged buggy, having it "designed" by AE and carrying the name will probably help boost sales, especially after any sour taste previous TTR offerings may have left in anyone's mouths.

I've stated my opinion on the Pro vs. Joe argument several times...if a Pro guy is consistently faster on the track with a car, then there is ZERO doubt in my mind that a Joe will be the same. Have you ever seen a car that was good in the hands of a Pro, but not in the hands of a Joe? I can't think of any.

No one is arguing that Tiger Woods could whack a ball with a wooden stick further and straighter than I could with a state-of-the-art driver. He will also whack the ball further with a good club than he would with a wooden stick. From that argument alone, I think it's only common sense to deduce that I would whack the ball further with a good club than I could with a wooden stick as well. R/C cars are the same way. Tiger expects a new club to help him win major tournaments and help him play better than before. An average golfer is hoping that a new club will help him cut out mistakes and improve.

Horatio - This conversation is MUCH better than the flaming and bitter arguing that usually happens (read the SAE vs. metric discussion on the 8IGHT thread).

I agree that engineering is the same across the board, but I don't see consumers of passenger jet wings being NEARLY as fickle as the R/C industry. R/C cars are sold to make money, but not usually bought as a tool to make money.

Seriously, I hope what we do is never classified as a sport. While it does take certain skill and there will always be those who are better than others, I'd like to think that what we do will always be considered something that the majority of participants feeling it is something that they do for fun, and enjoy that the opportunity exists to go to a race and compete against the best in the world. A very, very large chunk (dare I say, a majority?) of the products sold within the R/C industry will never see a race track. It most certainly is a hobby.

Every person I've talked to that works within the industry (and doesn't have their heads somewhere else...the clouds maybe? haha) will laugh and admit they work with toy cars for a living. I think it's the laidback, "this is just for fun" attitude that will help this sport grow. Our hobby/sport is not ready for TV coverage, not ready for sponsored racers to be looked at as childhood idols, none of the backing and recognition that other "mainstream" sports receive. There is work to be done within the industry (and especially the racing aspect of it) before we start trying to grow by leaps and bounds.

While there are plenty of people ready to bet the farm on Losi releasing a truggy, there were tons who thought that AE would release a 4wd buggy, or that a U.S.-based 1/8th scale buggy wasn't possible, or that thought the Y2K virus would kill computers all over the world
Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Truggy

Losi may not release a Truggy but someone will surely release an Eight inspired truggy. This is why I shop on the AE wall for my BJ4 stuff.

BTW - Cav's setup on his BJ4 is stupid hard to drive for a regular racer. Even the magazines say so.

My first paintball loader cost me $62,000. Yes I agree with business decisions being difficult in R&D and market development.

Keep up the good work.
TEX
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Aaron: TTR's designs are amazing and they are one of the few companies who listened for major changes in a production run (the EB4-S2 now includes both a flat and tunnel extruded chassis).

Problem with TTR in the US lies with Ace Hobby. Believe me I know. Love the TTR product (whether AE just rebadges, which I doubt they will) but the TTR support through Ace Hobby is easily the worst in the RC Industry.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Well, when I say I would prefer RC Racing to be regarded as a sport, I mean by the true definition of the word Sport - diversion, amusement, meeting for competition and good fellow (good fellowship). Sportsman - person fair to opponents, cheerful in defeat - good sport, sporting, chance involving some risk.

Unfortunately, most mainstream sports couldn't seem further away from the above definition of the word, even if they tried. Too much corruption, politics and money involved. And as for the 'role models' it produces - well they're often dubious characters!! On the subject of role models, people with an inherant weakness or tendancy to 'worship' other people will usually look up to whoever they choose - eg. if they happen to be into soccer, David Beckham. If they're into 1/12th - David Spashet!! IMO, it's best avoided.

However, I can envisage the day when RC Racing is recognised as true motor sport, not just by those involved with it, but by the authorities who have the power to help up & coming clubs and venues. RC Racing is obviously a minority sport, but with the right kind of support, we could all enjoy much more local events, with greater entries, rather than just juggling the same, existing RC enthusiasts around from class to class.

Kudos to anyone that agrees that the fun element shouldn't be lost in any sport, including RC Racing!!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Aaron, whats up bud? it was fun running with u at Nitro Maxx challenge. See ya at the Shootout!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Peters - What's up bud? Good job this weekend..you're awesome. Make sure you bring your rut rut to Shootout!

Horatio - I think the reasons you listed why our current "sports" are not handled professionally, are exactly the reasons why R/C racing should remain a hobby. Yeah...I can see the days where our races are televised, the facilities we race at are top-notch, and everyone involved handles themselves professionally. But it's a ways off, and there's no reason to rush it.

binaryterror - To each his own, I suppose. I've watched other companies get torn apart for having to make changes during a production run of kits.

tex1 - The car itself has proven to be very capable in the hands of both Pros and Joes, simply depending on how you set it up. Besides, I wouldn't give a rat's...behind, what magazines say most of the time.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

hi all:a tad bit off topic,but here goes.some people have asked in the past if assossiated will have a 1/8th buggy or truggy anytime soon?just my two cents worth,but i'm guessing not because thunder tiger racing who they are partners with handles the 1/8th buggy and truggy side of the company.just my thoughts thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

There are threads dedicated to AE 1/8th scale rumors! This is the "Losi truggy" thread, if in fact the project does exist somewhere .

It is all but confirmed that Associated will release an 1/8th scale buggy before too long. They have been testing cars for a while, and that only means one thing. It may or may not be produced by TTR and Ace, but I'm betting that it's coming sometime soon.

BTW Adam Peters, check your e-mail.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Aaron check your e-mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.