Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High speed or high torque for str and th

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default High speed or high torque for str and th

I need to know if your suppose to use high torque for steering and high speed for throttle or vice versa??
Old 12-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: High speed or high torque for str and th

Originally posted by JusDamFast
I need to know if your suppose to use high torque for steering and high speed for throttle or vice versa??
It's all about the way you drive the car and your preferences. But I would suggest to use digital high speed servo for Steering, and I think digital for steering is important because it is so presiced and centering is much much better then analog and the best part is it has great holding power under high speed sweepers.

As for throttle, depends on how your car set up, say you have front oneway and rear diff, praticially you cant use brakes then any kind of servo will do since pulling the carb does not require much power. And I think anything over 50oz in torque will do but try to get something that moves a little bit faster, say 0.13sec 60d with about 60oz. Anything more will be a waste of money for throttle on 10th scale. Unused torque and also it will drain your rx pack fast.

Personal opinion on Steering Servos: JR DZ8450, KO PDS2143, Futaba 9450 or Hitec 5925, That are all in the 0.08sec league and around 100oz in torque.

As for throttle, Hitec 525mg will do a good job. 0.12~0.13sec with 57oz, the best part is they are relative cheap compare with other brand.

Hope this would help!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Servo recs

Sir Speedy;

You didn't mention what kind of Car/Truck that you were looking at servos for.
1/10th anything, go with Ah10's recommendations. Nice unbiased opinion (rare around here).
For 1/8th and Monster trucks go for a little more torque (+100oz)
on the steering servo. Speed is less of an issue on the bigger vehicles.
Also once you DO use a high speed servo on a 1/10th scale car/truck. You will never be satisfied with anything less.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I was considering the KO Propo 2143 and 2144 but I didnt know which one to put where or if I should get two 2143, two 2144 or one of each. Oh yeah, I did forget to mention that I am running a 1/10th scale TC. And that I plan to track race, kinda tired of bashing, it gets old real quick!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default Racing is where it's at

JusDamFast;

Use a Digital High Speed for the steering. I like the Hitec (5)625 servos for throttle/brake. Plenty of speed and torque, and not too expensive $50-$60 usd.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

I'm currently running 2143 for steering and 2174 (analog version of 2144) for throttle in my NTC3. Good combo. You wont be disappointed. Definitely speed and preferably digital for steering. Some people I race with don't really care about the throttle servo. I like to consider it the "brake servo" and I prefer a high torque servo with good holding power to slow down my TCs. Just my opinion.

Here's a question for anyone else reading this thread, I've always stayed away from digital for throttle because I never felt it was necessary and I didn't need any additional power drain from my rx packs. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not they feel it makes a difference?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Digital vs Analog throttle servos

Rod B;

I had a Hitec 5625 on my Reflex that went bad at the start of the MAIN in the Elite Hobbies Race. Remember you me and Jason were the top 3 qualifiers.
Anyways I replaced it with a analog 625 servo and haven't really noticed much difference. Maybe a little more brake fade, but not much. The 5625 in my Super Nitro has been fine, though I don't race that Car as much.
What I do think I notice is that the Analog servos will slightly overtravel a few degrees when going from full throttle to full brake. This tend to cause a split second lock-up when pulling hard on the brakes. The Digital servos are right on every time.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rod_b
I'm currently running 2143 for steering and 2174 (analog version of 2144) for throttle in my NTC3. Good combo. You wont be disappointed. Definitely speed and preferably digital for steering. Some people I race with don't really care about the throttle servo. I like to consider it the "brake servo" and I prefer a high torque servo with good holding power to slow down my TCs. Just my opinion.

Here's a question for anyone else reading this thread, I've always stayed away from digital for throttle because I never felt it was necessary and I didn't need any additional power drain from my rx packs. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not they feel it makes a difference?
Oh Rob, are you running diff front and rear? a lot of ppl running front oneway will have a problem with brake, the car will spun around unless they run solid rear axle~!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Remember to check the torque on the steering servo though - remember you're pushing several POUNDS around turns at a high speed - your front tires are gonna WANT to go straight. . .and you're asking your servo to hold those tires turned. . .

I would get the fastest and strongest servo you can. I am running an Airtronics 357 for my steering. I like it.

I've also run a Hiteck 925 for steering as well - I liked it too. Would prolly still be running it there, but I needed it for my elec. . .

I'm running a 525 (?) for throttle. You don't need torque and you need decent but moderate speed for it. You're not trying to pull the motor out of the chassis, just move the throttle about 3/4 of an inch - speed isn't hugely important either because you're only travelling a very very short distance. You still want decent speed, but you don't really need .08 seconds for throttle!

I don't run digital, they're expensive and I'm somewhat cheap! heh heh. If you want to pay the extra $$$, cool! Supposedly they're more precise and programmable. . .that's cool but I don't really think that I need it.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Boomer;

Your not kidding. I had a JR DZ8550 in my HPI for the T/B and you should have seen that chassis flex if the endpoints weren't spot on perfect. I have one for steering [DZ8550] in my T-Maxx and what an improvement. 188oz/in torque keeps those big wheels right where you point them.

Servo's with 90-100oz/in Torque @6v should be great for just about anything On-Road.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-20-2002 at 06:51 PM.