Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I dont know about you but if I am racing and I knock a full can of Paragon into my lap my reaction is COMPLETELY different to want would happen if it were sun screen.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCMits
Safer Alternatives?

I guess we're going to have to use water on our foam tires because side effects of sunscreen lotion on foam tires could include blisters!!

From a major suntan lotion site:

Other Side Effects – Check with your healthcare provider if any of the following rare effects occur for your safety: itching or burning skin, an acne-type or reddish appearance, blisters, pain, oozing, or opposite – dry and tight skin.

It is possible to develop allergies to any of the usual UV-blocking chemicals or even to "inactive" ingredients of the lotion or fragrance. People who develop allergic reactions should seek advice from a dermatologist. A day before you intend to use a new sunscreen, apply it to a small area on one arm and wait to see if any itching or rash occurs. To prevent allergic reactions to sunscreen, it might help to wash sunscreens off at night.

You can see where this forum thread has gone................ anything and everything can cause problems.

PS: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17718517/
Chinese food is bad for you... damn.
.... come up with a solution then, its really boring hearing this rhetoric back and forth. Fact, these compounds are harmful to our health. Fact, we obviously dont know how little or how much these things can harm our health because we dont know all ingredients. Fact, martins aim? TO GET SOMEONE TO LOOK INTO THESE CHEMICALS WE USE EVERY WEEK, and to accertain what dosages are a health risk and what is safe. Should they be found to be harmless ( ) fine. But we all know their very dangerous, yet we all use it everyday? Wouldnt everyone like to know just what we're all dealing with here?????? How can you argue against that?

Personally, Carl and Martin both get my vote. Im not saying ban tire sauce, i wouldnt make my view on that until i had documented proof what the stuff does. Id make my decision when i know the facts. But one fact i do know.... this stuff needs to be looked into and taken seriously.

Maybe we can send some stuff to 'mythbusters' or something.....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
If someone truely believes the stuff is safe, try drinking it...
Using this as a prerequisite for safety, which is nearly what you guys are arguing anyway, I must ask....

Are we going to ban Shock oil?
Comm Drops?
Solder/flux?
Thread Lock?
Nitro fuel?

Of course not. Why? Because exposure level, and the type of exposure make a difference. Is it so bad to research something before completely changing it?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JKA
Using this as a prerequisite for safety, which is nearly what you guys are arguing anyway, I must ask....

Are we going to ban Shock oil?
Comm Drops?
Solder/flux?
Thread Lock?
Nitro fuel?
Everyone go home tonight and drink a bottle of Coppertone SPF45 and report back on your findings tomorrow.

Futher, be careful when boiling that water for your pasta. You might spill some on your yourself, resulting in a nasty burn. Then we'll have to ban the boiling of water at home too.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
If someone truely believes the stuff is safe, try drinking it...if your body rejects the stuff, you know its bad....

After countless visits to allergists, general practitioners and neurologists each and everyone of them have contributed the ill effects I've experienced to "pro-long" exposure to the tire additives and other chemicals we use in a closed environment such as indoor carpet racing.

Carl- got a few questions about your post and a comment also...

First the comment about drinking it to see if its safe.....Well good buddy I am HIGHLY allergic to MILK! If I DRINK it, it DOES some pretty bad things to me. In the form of Migraine headaches. So now that I have stated that should I go DRINK some, knowing that I have allergic reactions to it. Then try and get all milk products BANNED from YOUR local supermarkets?

NO, I don't think so.
Also I would think that EVERYONE on here would agree that MILK is a very SAFE product, RIGHT???

So why if a tractor trailer wrecks and the container that its pulling is full of MILK and that container opens and spills its contents on the roadway....WHY DOES A HAZ-MAT TEAM HAVE TO BE CALLED IN DURING THE CLEAN UP STAGES??? Don't believe me, call your local State police and ask um. I almost fell in the floor when my good friend told me that. BTW he owns a wrecker service that responds to Tractor Trailer wrecks and was telling me about having to work with a the HAZ-MAT team on a truck that spilled milk. Milk spills over 10 gallons is considered HAZARDOUS MATERIAL!

You say that countless trips to allergist,general practitioners and neurologist have all said that the ill effects you have experienced are due to the chemicals that are used in some of the products you have had long term exposer to just in RC!

Well I looked on my can of paragon, shock oils, motor spray, Buggy grip and I can't find one bottle or can that has the ingredents listed.....

So how can a Dr. tell you, you are allergic to something to the point that he can narrow it down to causing you serious harm, without actually knowing what is in the products?

Now I can believe that they would agree that the STRONG odor may cause you headaches. But I bet if you stood in an enclosed building with an open 5 gallon can of gasoline for too long you too would get a headache.
Heck Paragon has a winter green smell, correct, at your next indoor race BAN all rc traction compounds and have ALL the racers use BEN-GAY, it smells like wintergreen right?? Have them use it on themselves as if they were applying it to the tires on thier cars......I wonder if the STRONG SMELL would cause headaches? I think all of use would agree that Ben-Gay is a pretty safe product also.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Maybe I'll round up a bunch of people to complain about the unfair labor practices in Thailand and that we should ban all RC products from that country.
not unless angelina jolie adopts all the kids first :P
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

http://wcco.com/watercooler/local_story_019145409.html

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermai...01/020391.html

http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/erd/...000/20194.html

The last one is from the University of Akrons "The Chemical Database"
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by imprsme
Well I looked on my can of paragon, shock oils, motor spray, Buggy grip and I can't find one bottle or can that has the ingredents listed.....

have you ever seen the ingredients on the side of tictacs or wint-o-green candy? the label is so small, they cant fit it.

im not going to do the research, but i am sure if you call or write to the respective company.. you can find out and get the ingredients (of course they wont give away how the blend it).

=)

this thread has become fun to read now =)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I like proof....it seems to help instead of just assuming...

Case in point...

Years back, these wonderful guys came up with the fake tit......made out of this nice stuff called silicone......at first met with skeptism, but then soon embraced by all size A bra ladies every where....

However, soon....some of these people started getting sick....random stuff...so with no proof....they said, it must be the fake boobies! Lawsuits flew....people went out of business....boobs were removed and replaced with the new SAFE salene versions......which don't feel quite as nice....

So now, years later......after countless studies....turns out silicone was safe and not causing the problems.......and now they are back on the market selling like mad to strippers and houses wives across the globe....

And the ironic part......my wife got her tits done about 4 months prior to them lifting the ban...... They are still huge though, so its all good!:P

Later EddieO
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
And the ironic part......my wife got her tits done about 4 months prior to them lifting the ban...... They are still huge though, so its all good!:P

Later EddieO
Only EddieO!! LOL Call me when you get a chance.

EA
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCMits
have you ever seen the ingredients on the side of tictacs or wint-o-green candy? the label is so small, they cant fit it.

im not going to do the research, but i am sure if you call or write to the respective company.. you can find out and get the ingredients (of course they wont give away how the blend it).
There are alot of things in EVERY DAY life that are not labeled... does that make them safe or unsafe for our usage? NO!

I am not doubting that it is possible to GET the ingredents for all of the things listed, I was just saying that I bet there was no list of ingredents of RC related products taken to the Doctors.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

They are still huge though, so its all good!:P
Later EddieO
booobies... LOL ... *shakes head* ok that was a brief distraction.

on a side note: do you as a motor tuner/builder have to put a warning label that reads "may contain small parts, keep out of reach of small children" or will someone sue you when their kid ate a F-line brush, or swallowed a purple spring. ;-)

can you chew on putnam green brushes? hehe...
ok.... im getting carried away.

Someone made an oil that you mix with your "gas" in your nitro car, so it'll smell like strawberries. I wonder if we can have "strawberry" shock oil and coconut smelling diff grease.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Eddie- You are too much!! LOL

But I too like proof....Show us that your wife indeed does have fake tits, and that you are not just blowing smoke!

LOL

DO NOT TAKE THAT LAST PART SERIOUS!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry, but my molly mormon wife won't show her boobs to anyone.....:P

Later EddieO
Old 03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, but my molly mormon wife won't show her boobs to anyone.....:P

Later EddieO
CHAPTER 9

5 For behold, when ye shall be brought to see your anakedness before <removed since this is not a religious thread>, and also the glory of <removed since this is not a religious thread>, and the holiness of <removed since this is not a religious thread>, it will kindle a flame of unquenchable fire upon you.

...................but you ;-)

(thinks to self) silicone shock oil, silicone boobs, silicone shock oil, silicone boobs... baggy.... tiewrap.... shock oil.... hmm........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.