Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
The Balance on the car is pretty good. I add weight, as I am under by about 10-15 grams. I purchased a digital scale from oddice depot. I think it was about $50

Thanks. I also got a digital scale and I am fine with that. I am talking about the picture in the attachment.

This tells you where to place the extra weight so that you can control the weight distribution of your car, e.g.

Front to back = 50:50
Left to right = 50:50

Hope this makes sense

Acid
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-weight-system.jpg  
Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The balance of the car is very good. Front to back is very hard to be 50:50 due to the the equipment distribution, i.e. the motor, being in the rear therefore making the rear of the car heavier than the front. Left to right balancing I noticed a slight difference with the right a little heavier. This depends on the weight of the pipe also as they are not all equally the same weight. The best way to tweak the car is to follow the methods in the setup guideline that came with the kit. This will ensure a balanced handling feel of the car. I'd do this first and not worry too much about adding weight, unless of course you are underweight by the rules of your organization. For checking the balance left to right, I use 2 golf ball pins, one in the front and one in the rear of the car along the centerline of the chassis - old method but easy and inexpensive enough to check the weight balance of the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

New chassis for the Serpent 720 from Skyline!

Milled to make everything mounted lower for lower CG. This should be a very nice hopup for the car .
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
The balance of the car is very good. Front to back is very hard to be 50:50 due to the the equipment distribution, i.e. the motor, being in the rear therefore making the rear of the car heavier than the front. Left to right balancing I noticed a slight difference with the right a little heavier. This depends on the weight of the pipe also as they are not all equally the same weight. The best way to tweak the car is to follow the methods in the setup guideline that came with the kit. This will ensure a balanced handling feel of the car. I'd do this first and not worry too much about adding weight, unless of course you are underweight by the rules of your organization. For checking the balance left to right, I use 2 golf ball pins, one in the front and one in the rear of the car along the centerline of the chassis - old method but easy and inexpensive enough to check the weight balance of the car.
Thanks Jo - appreciate it

But, when you use the golf pins - what do you do?

Place under the car, along the centerline, but where do you place the pins on the ground? How can you tell if one side falls more than the other? Only thing I can think of is to use like a sand pit - put the pins in - then place the car on the pins and watch what happens - see which pin goes deeper than the other.

Am I right?

Acid
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Acid

No sand pit . I use the golf pins to check the left to right balance. The golf pins are the inexpensive alternative to chassis balancing tool. Here's a picture to better explain how to do it (I know the pictured car is electric but just for show).

In place of the balancing tool, I use upside down golf pins along the centerline of the chassis. I did this just to check and like I said earlier...
This depends on the weight of the pipe also as they are not all equally the same weight. The best way to tweak the car is to follow the methods in the setup guideline that came with the kit. This will ensure a balanced handling feel of the car. I'd do this first and not worry too much about adding weight, unless of course you are underweight by the rules of your organization.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
Acid

No sand pit . I use the golf pins to check the left to right balance. The golf pins are the inexpensive alternative to chassis balancing tool. Here's a picture to better explain how to do it (I know the pictured car is electric but just for show).

In place of the balancing tool, I use upside down golf pins along the centerline of the chassis. I did this just to check and like I said earlier...
You are the man

Appreciate it...

Acid
Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What is the stock clutch like on a low grip surface? Would i need to change the clutch spring at all?

BB
Old 12-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
What is the stock clutch like on a low grip surface? Would i need to change the clutch spring at all?

BB

The stock clutch is better on low grip tracks cos it slips a little more than the yellow clutch shoe. Also, your clutch gap is important - more gap = harder engagement.

Acid
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi every won how loves Serpent 720

will drive my on this sommer 2007 hope to get info from pepole opition and stuff.

see you on the track 2007 in Europe
Old 12-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Acid
The stock clutch is better on low grip tracks cos it slips a little more than the yellow clutch shoe. Also, your clutch gap is important - more gap = harder engagement.

Acid

Acid: Thank you for that info... I havent decided which way to go yet. Have narrowed it down between the MTX4, S720 & the V1RRR Evo. Alof of people here have been using the Mugen and they do have the best support from the LHS, but of late there has been a burst of V1RRR Evo popping up here and there as well:S

BB
Old 12-09-2006, 03:03 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acid

Acid
Out of the box the 720 comes with a yellow shoe.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Acid: Thank you for that info... I havent decided which way to go yet. Have narrowed it down between the MTX4, S720 & the V1RRR Evo. Alof of people here have been using the Mugen and they do have the best support from the LHS, but of late there has been a burst of V1RRR Evo popping up here and there as well:S

BB
All those cars are fast and on any given day anyone of them can win. It is always a balance between budget / support / engine / setup etc.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4
All those cars are fast and on any given day anyone of them can win. It is always a balance between budget / support / engine / setup etc.

B4:

This is true... to me Serpent have always had the best online support between MyTSN and a good online presence here on RcTech. At the end of the day it comes down to driver ability and setup, but being able to get parts easily is always good too. Mugen Japan now has stopped supply too online stores in HK, so this has put a bit of a dampener on this. Do you get your Serpent stuff locally or OS?

BB
Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
B4
Tech Addict

B4:

This is true... to me Serpent have always had the best online support between MyTSN and a good online presence here on RcTech. At the end of the day it comes down to driver ability and setup, but being able to get parts easily is always good too. Mugen Japan now has stopped supply too online stores in HK, so this has put a bit of a dampener on this. Do you get your Serpent stuff locally or OS?

BB
I get my parts from rc-mushroom but this car is strong (not like 710) and things just don't break. Most of the parts i bought thinking i would need them are still sitting in my pit box.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4
I get my parts from rc-mushroom but this car is strong (not like 710) and things just don't break. Most of the parts i bought thinking i would need them are still sitting in my pit box.
B4:

Thank you... I have been looking at Mushy and their prices. I bought a S710 when they first came out, i had issues with the clutch and blowing thrust bearings and also broke a front dogbone in half, buggered if i know what i hit to cause that. That was sorta the last straw and i could see it wasn't going to withstand my bashing.

I am now having similar quality issues with the G4S... or it could be just my bad driving

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.