Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lrp sphere overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default lrp sphere overheating problem

hi hoping someone can help me here. I have a sphere and ran it for the first time tonight. I am using it with an origional reedy neo (3star i believe) On my first run i ran it unlimited and on maximum punch geared at 10.3 on a tiny indoor track (6 sec laps) all performed fine and i durated on 3 year old 3300s and motor and speedo came off mildly hot but no problem, next run i ran in it the limited revs mode and changed gearing to 7.83 (about where i would gear a stock on this track) about 3 mins in the speedo cut out and proceeded to do so at regular intervals until i pulled off at at about 4 mins (im sure this was the thermal cut out) on inspection the motor batteries and speedo were nearly glowing with heat cetainly to hot to touch for more than a millisecond, i tried going back to 10.3 gearing and had plenty punch but zero top end. Last heat went back to unlimited geared at 9.15 and again durated and not too hot. Did i make an error with gearing on the second run (i assumed it was like a stock motor setting) or is there something wrong with the speedo.
Any help much appreciated

thanks

nathan
Old 03-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Gearing is critical with the LRP as with any other brushed motor. You'll probably want to go back to the 9-9.8 range and just tweek from there. You'r original gearing was probably within 1-3 teeth on the pinion from being perfect. if you use 48P gears go back and add 1 tooth from the 10.3 and see how she feels, if its 64P you may need to go 2-3 teeth to feel the difference. It should not come off feeling burning hot, it does get warm though. Gearing will be track spacific. I happan to run at 8.99:1 with a high speed flowing track. 9t, or 3 star seems to be right about where a regular 9t would be, gearing wise.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Tech Initiate

ok so lets assume that the perfect gearing for the track is 10:1 when using the sphere in unrestricted mode if i were to then run it restricted should i change the gearing or remain at 10:1?

thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Gearing will remain the same, "restricted" mode only lets the motor get to 24,000 RPM I believe, but the "punch" is the same as unrestricted mode.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Tech Legend

When you use the restricted mode or the sportsman mode...
The ESC will get hotter cus all that power has to go somewhere....

If your concern about heat suggest not to use the sport or slick track mode as this will only make the ESC get even hotter...
Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

It's also a simple matter to add a fan, which helps enormously with the heat issue. Novak makes a fan that's the right size (you can find that size from other sources as well) that can be mounted directly on top of the esc by running some screws into the heatsink. As mentioned above there are other issues at work here with your specific problem, but the fan is a cheap 'in general' cooling helper.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

ok thanks for all the replies. My main question was should i change gearing when using restricted mode and the answer appears to be no which should clear up my heat problem.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Legend

red

I used both modes on the Sphere

If you use the "sportsman" mode you will need to gear up a couple teeth on the pinion to get power simliar to a stock motor.

If you use the "low traction" mode you dont have to change the pinion , as it performs very well with the "unlimited" mode pinion size...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm using Sphere with Neo One 3 star brushless motor on my TA 05 with stock gearing . I didn't have any problem .