Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

thanks ,ill check it out.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Finally had a chance to run my Scythe Last week Tuesday at a practice day.
All i can say is WOW
I am very happy with it ,it was on rails.
We run foam tyres on asphalt and i did its maiden run on 42F/40R shore tyres and it was planted and had excellent steering in and out of the corners with a touch of mid corner understeer just teh way i like it.
ran tyres new out of packet and was geared a bit tall for the CO27 motor i was running (39/102) changed down to a 37 pinion and much better although i can get more out of the motor as its still stock out of the packet.
Fellow Scythe driver had the rear bulhead brake where the rear shack tower mounts break but other than that both cars are really good to drive and was jsut so stabil pushing my car hard.

Look forward to coming weekend for first race with car.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there an alternative for the standard pully's? I don't need all the plastic parts you have to order with a TOP-pully so if anybody knows a good replacement?? By the way: how many teeth does a normal pully have...i'm a bad counter

Thanks,

Eric
Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

15 tandjes Eric

en de diffpoelie's 33 tandjes

en 33/15=2.2
Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

http://www.muchmoreracing.com/downlo...wnload/gid,55/

New parts for 2007
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anybody interested in a NIB Scythe? I am ok to ship to anywhere, just send me a PM with a reasonable price.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am going to run the Delrin spool this weekend for the first time. I currently have on the front arms, Odeg rear and 2.5deg front toe blocks mounted. I have been advised to use either a 0 deg or 1.5 deg in place of the 2.5.

Can someone please tell me what the handling or performance difference is when you change these on board toe blocks and why do I have to change them for the spool.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 05-10-2007, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

More inboard toe-out/sweep (eg 2.5 block) will make the cars initial turn-in more aggressive, less (eg 1.5 or 0 block) will make it a bit smoother.

I'm surprised you were advised to reduce inboard toe as the spool tends to take away a bit of turn in, but then again I have never run a spool on the Scythe so don't know how it reacts to one.

I suppose all I can say it experiment and see what setting works best for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sosidge
More inboard toe-out/sweep (eg 2.5 block) will make the cars initial turn-in more aggressive, less (eg 1.5 or 0 block) will make it a bit smoother.

I'm surprised you were advised to reduce inboard toe as the spool tends to take away a bit of turn in, but then again I have never run a spool on the Scythe so don't know how it reacts to one.

I suppose all I can say it experiment and see what setting works best for you.
Thanks for the info mate, I don't know why I've been told to change it either if it reduces initial turn in. Could it possibly have a positive effect on mid corner and exit steering perhaps?

This is the first time I'll be using a spool with this car as I have persisted with the one way until now, I just feel that the spool may give me that little extra that I need to get to the front and be competitive. Almost everyone is running spools at the clubs and titles I compete in and I have found although this car has brilliant cornering abilities I was just not able to get in, around and out of corners as fast as the others.

Thanks again for the info, Ill leave it as is intially and then make the change and see what happens.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

@Aaron,

The spool is a good item if you want to break into the corner, there are only two con's: the steering is with a spool much less and you need to put the 2,5 in the front. Second is the delrin spool vunerable, if you hit someone or even a curb a outdrive can break. So driving a spool needs very clean driving!!

Eric
Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

i have been running the car setup stock as per manual but with a spool and there is no hassle with it.It feels very balanced both onpower and offpower steering and thats using 40 shore tyres on asphalt.
Usually a spool contributes to understeer into corners but not on this setup
Compared to a buddies car with oneway i can enter the corner later and hold a tighter line out the corner as well as gain ground or advantage from more corner speed.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guy's for you comments. I'll be trying it this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

Razzor, getting in and out of corners faster has been my main problem, so if what your saying is true this will be an issue I no longer have to worry about.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Bud its worked for me but then again you should give it a try since there are many variables that can make it better or worse.
I ran 40shore 26mm front tyres with 42shore 30mm rear tyres and they were 63/64mm diameter.
on our untreated asphalt track even i was fairly surprised how well it ran.
Some of the other guys were running with 37shore tyres but were sliding on the corners.

Try it and let us know how it went.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

A larger inboard toe-out (ie 2.5) will give more intial steering, but the car may tend to stop rotating mid-corner.

A smaller inboard toe-out (ie 1.5) will give less initial steering, but tend to give more mid corner rotation.

Generally, I prefer 1.5 indoors with a 1-way, and 2.5 outdoors with a spool, although others have their own perferences. I know Jimmy Maddison has been running a 1.5 front block with a spool outdoors for his recent wins It can often just come down to driving style, but give them a try.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I have just got home after a great nights racing. Unfortunately I cannot post that I had a win as I had a battery failure in the final, but I used the spool for the first time tonight.

I left the in board toe at 2.5 deg and ran the spool, wow.....I thought I would a loose a little turn in compared with the one way but I have to say, if I lost any turn in I couldn't feel it, the car was planted better than it's ever been and it had so much steering that mid to late corner through the 2 large sweepers it wanted to over steer. Basically as the car got faster through the turn it wanted to turn more, awesome.

I was well on the pace and qualified 4th against some of Australia best stock drivers (QLD Champ - AUS Champ - 2nd place Indoor QLD Champs) and I was not only keeping up with them but seriously competiting with them

Why I didn't go to the spool sooner I'll never know, but I am really finding my feet with this car and it is just awesome.

This is on an outdoor, low to med grip asphelt track that has a good mixture of tight slow to high speed large corners.

Thanks guy's for your advice, as it turned out keeping the 2.5deg in board toe block seemed to be the way to go. I will try the 1.5 just to get a comparison and I think a little more time racing and a few minor set up changes (track specific) I will have a realistic shot at some titles this year.

Defenitely a great buy was this car, reccommend it to anyone wanting a top line, top performing chassis. No pun intended.

Cheers
Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.