Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

1st Car for 11 year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CoachYoYo
My son wants an RC Car. He is 11 and loves to build things, so I originally wanted to buy him a kit so he could learn through the process of building it.

I am told the Horizon Kits are way too simple to build and not upgrade-able. I am also told the Traxxus kits are pretty expensive, high end and you still need to buy required equipment.

So, where do I start? Not looking to get into organized racing. Just quality to grow and learn with.

Recommendations please?

Thanks, Rob.
Rob,

Your thread and all the responses helped educate me as well - thanks for asking and thanks to all those who weighed in.

I'm going to check out the Tamiya Grasshopper in more detail!

Joe
Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For tools i really like the Whia screw and hex drivers . Dubro makes some basic but very nice quality hex drivers too ! have had mine for 16= years with no issues .
get the very basics on the cheap and then pickup quality stuff as it shows up second hand.
dual charger is a nice idea , BUT.. if the charger breaks down your done until you have it serviced or replace it . buy two single's and if one breaks down etc at least you can still keep running.
These are just knee jerk reaction / opinion ..there are a lot of cool ways to go , depending on your interest level and budget . I am attempting to guide you the same way i would guide a family member .

there are a lot of REALLY good deals on second hand EVERYTHING! get what you NEED now and keep your eyes open. I have to say that most of my really good tools were to expensive at full retail..I recently found some super nice Associated hex drivers in new condition for less than half of retail.
Heck i even purchased my main airplane radio second hand and saved a cool $245.00 ..it was never even used .

it is really cool to have you onboard and i hope you really enjoy and grow in the hobby .
ALWAYS happy to answer any questions etc.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

+1 on Wiha - top notch tools!