R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Like Tree12Likes

Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default 1st Car for 11 year old

My son wants an RC Car. He is 11 and loves to build things, so I originally wanted to buy him a kit so he could learn through the process of building it.

I am told the Horizon Kits are way too simple to build and not upgrade-able. I am also told the Traxxus kits are pretty expensive, high end and you still need to buy required equipment.

So, where do I start? Not looking to get into organized racing. Just quality to grow and learn with.

Recommendations please?

Thanks, Rob.
jp_over likes this.
CoachYoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

Get a Tamiya Grasshopper, easy to work on and upgradable, with bearing, oil shocks etc. nothing too crazy.
jp_over likes this.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

You could look into crawling, its a great way to get outside and you can go just about anyway where and lots of people are doing it. Something like this could get his feet wet: https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecx-bar...x01011/p682604. If its something he wants to stick with axial makes some good kits. Around here you can find a group of people to go crawling with almost every weekend. It also makes you have to think and problem solve.
MongolPete likes this.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any of the Tamiya classics would be great: Grasshopper, Hornet, Frog, Blackfoot, Hot Shot, Lunch Box, etc. You can add faster motors, bearings, oil shocks, and tons of other upgrades.

Rock Crawler kits are nice with these exceptions depending on his preferences:
- They are generally slow (by design of course) and not really meant for big air or high speed handling.
- They are expensive compared to Tamiya and other basher oriented 1/10 kits.

I really like the ECX Amp BTD kit as well. Many upgrades available such as aluminum hop ups, metal differential to handle brushless power, etc. The sky's the limit.
MongolPete and jp_over like this.
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYoYo View Post
My son wants an RC Car. He is 11 and loves to build things, so I originally wanted to buy him a kit so he could learn through the process of building it.

I am told the Horizon Kits are way too simple to build and not upgrade-able. I am also told the Traxxus kits are pretty expensive, high end and you still need to buy required equipment.

So, where do I start? Not looking to get into organized racing. Just quality to grow and learn with.

Recommendations please?

Thanks, Rob.
Traxxas isn't exactly high end. It's like putting a stock Camry into a NASCAR race.
faqcya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Take a look at the LC Racing/Tacon line up, the brushless versions are high quality, there 1/14th scale, big enough to run outdoors, we have 2 SCT trucks and our 8 and 12 year old grandson as well, we love them, durable, parts are cheap, only problem can't get parts at your local hobby shop, Warren RC and NitroRCX both have a good supply of parts, really haven't had much need for them.

jp_over likes this.
Petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1st car

Tamiya !!
excellent manual.
excellent quality.
parts and upgrades will be available for a looong time.
as mentioned above some of there classic kits like the Hornet , grasshopper, monster beetle , Subaru Brat ( includes two bodies!!)

The Horizon AMP MT is a 2wd truck that includes EVERYTHING ..Truck kit , radio , battery and chrger . now it is a basic radio and charger But this truck is by far the best bank for the buck.
FOR THE MONEY it has everything except your pain choice for body.
This truck is super tough !! My boys drive this thing like they stole it..I mean they beat the heck out of it .jumps , rolls , cartwheels , full clip into a car ..and they just don't break..never say never but for the most part I keep thinking the truck is going to ask THAT ALL YOU GOT PUNK? Being his FIRST R/C ridea it will teach him a lot about building and setting up the vehicle ..
at 139.00 all in...I keep one on the shelf at all times..Brushed speed is good go a young new driver and run times are about 15+- mins
May want to grab a better charger and a couple extra batteries ..you'll still slide into home for under $200.00 and that includes wrapping paper , a bow and tag !!
Merry Christmas !!
let us know what you decide .

Will
Radio flite.
MongolPete and jp_over like this.
willfromct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Tamiya grasshopper is a basic car that has a small motor but a 540 motor is cheap ($10.00+-)and drops right in. It also has spring shocks . the Hornet from Tamiya includes a 540 motor and oil filled rear shocks that you build.Grasshopper has a hard plastic body moulded in white , paint it or add decals directly..paint will look a lot nicer even if it is white and the Hornet has a polycarbonate body ..you paint from the bottom .
just a heads up on those two choices .
jp_over likes this.

Last edited by willfromct; 01-13-2018 at 06:13 PM.
willfromct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

My son is 8 and has had RC's of a hobby grade since he was 3, so he can drive them fine, he has a Slash now for just down the park as it's tough as nails, easy to get parts, he's expressed a desire to race on road so I am going down the Tamiya Mini (M05 etc) road, just as they are also very tough, the manuals are easy to use and parts are readily available.
jp_over likes this.

"If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's entire life believing it is stupid"

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:20 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Traxxas doesn't make anything in kit form, they're all ready to run. I'm pretty sure all the horizon house brand stuff is the same way. A great kit, if you want a full build, would be the team associated RC10 B6 Club Racer kit. Comes with motor, speed control, servo and body. You'd still need a radio, battery, wheels/tires and a charger. While this option is a bit more money, it's a great race quality car that would be right at home on any track if he decides he'd like to try racing.
anthonyscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:41 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

+1 for the ECX builder's kit options. If he wants to crawl, let him build a Barrage. If he prefers bashing, the Amp MT. Both builder's kits will be under our tree this year, and my 7y/o and I will build em together. You will definitely want a better charger, and I'd get him a starter tool kit, too. At the ECX prices, you can fit extras into your budget.
MongolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. This is awesome. I think I figured out my 1st 4 vehicles to buy. Start with the ECX build, add crawler then on to a Tamiya and then move up to a Racer Kit. What am I getting into?

I think I will start with ECX build. Speed over crawler for first car. The Tamiya kits require additional parts and don't know enough to chose the right ones.

Anyway, recommendations on tool kit and upgraded charger?

Thanks, Rob.
jp_over likes this.
CoachYoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYoYo View Post
Thanks guys. This is awesome. I think I figured out my 1st 4 vehicles to buy. Start with the ECX build, add crawler then on to a Tamiya and then move up to a Racer Kit. What am I getting into?

I think I will start with ECX build. Speed over crawler for first car. The Tamiya kits require additional parts and don't know enough to chose the right ones.

Anyway, recommendations on tool kit and upgraded charger?

Thanks, Rob.
Well if your buying through Horizon Hobby, then this looks to be a pretty good deal: https://www.horizonhobby.com/helicop...arger-ori30243

It's nice to have a dual charger if you plan to run RCs alongside your son; cuts charging time in half. If it were me, I'd grab another battery pack or two to keep the fun rolling.

Tool kits are a bit trickier. Cheap sets are just that: cheap. The tips tend to round out easily. I have this set, and it's not very good. https://www.horizonhobby.com/5-pc-me...rtment-dyn2819

Most folks like MIP tools, but they are expensive. With the ECX Amp you primarily need a good Philips head driver.
jp_over likes this.
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
Tech Adept

It's to bad Ecx doesn't have a 4wd build kit, 2wd cars/trucks are much harder for beginners, our grandson had 2wd trucks, and we got them the 4wd LC Racing trucks, they almost cut their lap times in half on our back yard track and were much happier being able to stay on the track and go much faster!
Petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Go to the track/s that you think you will race at and talk to the people there. See what people are running. Most everyone in the hobby is willing to help out a new person. If there is a hobby store at the track or close by, see what brands they carry and what spare parts they keep in stock. Local support will be very important as you learn the hobby. Both in set up help and finding a part you broke but don't have a spare for.
I think you are on the right track with having him build it from kit. That will teach him a lot about the car and mechanics in general. Good luck.