Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Ofna DM-1 Spec Electric 1/8 Gt OnRoad

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Another quick question. Anyone have specs on the center shaft that that spur rides on? Pat number OFN40759. I just need to know how long it is and how far apart the eclip notches are.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just sold my RC18 collection so I could fund one of these or a GTP2E...

Anyone have one of these that they want to get rid of? I'm looking for one in really good condition. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Found you guys...kewl...so far...i'm up to page 3...just bought a DM-1 converted to brushless on ebay...it has the two speed transmission on it...don't know how that's going to work but i read on this guy's page

http://www.rccoh.com/IMG/collections...dm-1.spec.html

that i'll be needing a tekno electric clutch...since i'm a newbie...i have no clue as to how this thing is going to work...but will be ordering one as soon as i get the car...

can someone explain to me how the two speed and electric clutch is going to work and how it shifts?...with some pics please?

anyways...i'll be ordering the SNR chassis just cos it's sooo freaking kewl....and...i'm afraid they may not be producing them anymore and also cos it's on sale...

guess i'll be spending the rest of the early morning reading up on this thread...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Ok...went through all 15 pages...not a single one of u guys did a serious mod on this car?...for example...fitting the X01's motor and esc on to see if u can go maybe 150+???

i saw wrong17's mod...which i thought was pretty kewl...(bought some merv tires n wheels from the guy and quite happy with purchase too)...but aside from that...i didn't see a whole lot of mod going on...

i'm always on the traxxas site and those guys over there mod their revo's like u wouldn't believe...i'm surprise u guys don't do the same thing to this thing....

a few questions...has any of u tried to use the traxxas gtr shock n springs on this thing?...i was doing some research and the traxxas shocks are 15mm diameter while the dm1 is 13mm...correct me if i'm wrong???...can u use the traxxas shocks??...i couldn't find info on the length (perhaps didn't look hard enough???)..

the only reason why i'm even buying this thing is cos it has the cantilever shocks like my revo...and i've always liked that setup (even if SNR says upright is better...i beg to differ, me being a newbie n all)...

also...how strong are the diffs?...those of u who are running 6s and the 2200kv mamba motors...are u having stripped diffs at all like the revos?...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IvVaum
Ok...went through all 15 pages...not a single one of u guys did a serious mod on this car?...for example...fitting the X01's motor and esc on to see if u can go maybe 150+???

i saw wrong17's mod...which i thought was pretty kewl...(bought some merv tires n wheels from the guy and quite happy with purchase too)...but aside from that...i didn't see a whole lot of mod going on...

i'm always on the traxxas site and those guys over there mod their revo's like u wouldn't believe...i'm surprise u guys don't do the same thing to this thing....

a few questions...has any of u tried to use the traxxas gtr shock n springs on this thing?...i was doing some research and the traxxas shocks are 15mm diameter while the dm1 is 13mm...correct me if i'm wrong???...can u use the traxxas shocks??...i couldn't find info on the length (perhaps didn't look hard enough???)..

the only reason why i'm even buying this thing is cos it has the cantilever shocks like my revo...and i've always liked that setup (even if SNR says upright is better...i beg to differ, me being a newbie n all)...

also...how strong are the diffs?...those of u who are running 6s and the 2200kv mamba motors...are u having stripped diffs at all like the revos?...
I read the same and felt the same... I'm getting mine in the next couple days and I have some big mods planned.

Primarily, the relocation of the motor. If you look at the new GT car from Ofna, I think they finally got it right with the motor on the left front, and giving room for 2 batteries behind.

Then making a new chassis, with full ground effects.

I don't think the diffs are going to be a problem - having had a ultra lx2e, I never had any problems with them and I bet they're pretty close to the same.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

LOL. The XO-1 electronics won't do crap for getting this car to go faster. Do some research and look up the KV of the XO-1's motor. Your suggested combo would make the car slower since the ESC can only run on 6s and the gearing is already maxed out (with spool mod). You'd have to run that motor on 8s with an XL2 to match the top speed of a 2200kv on 6s. Even the XO-1 is faster if you take out the stock motor and replace it with a 2200kv.

But none of that extra power means anything without doing the proper mods to keep the car planted.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

ok...just kinda skimmed through the nitro section...i've never had a nitro b4 and so...have no clue of the lingo that they are using...and...there's like...70 some odd pages...

one thing i hate most about this site is...the super duper long threads....seriously...how can anyone keep up the convos and info that are shared with a thread that is 70 some odd pages long?...can't they just make sections for certain brand of cars in their own forums???...i don't know...it just annoys me...yeah yeah yeah...i know wat u guys are gonna say....if u don't like it...get the eff out....ok....ok...i'll deal with it...but i still don't like it...anyways...

so...the x01 motor and 8s esc is out of the question?...i read something in the earlier pages about mounting traxxas spur gears but require a special hand made mod spur carrier thingy????...don't know what that's all about...but will be looking into that...

and where are all the pics?...is it just cos there's no mod and so...u see on pic and u've seen them all?...how about bodies?...and wheels and tires???...

come on guys...what have all of u tried?...anyone go with 23mm hex wheels???...larger wheels n tires???

are u guys that unimaginative????....or the folks of this forum just not the sharing type...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

ok...just kinda skimmed through the nitro section...i've never had a nitro b4 and so...have no clue of the lingo that they are using...and...there's like...70 some odd pages...

one thing i hate most about this site is...the super duper long threads....seriously...how can anyone keep up the convos and info that are shared with a thread that is 70 some odd pages long?...can't they just make sections for certain brand of cars in their own forums???...i don't know...it just annoys me...yeah yeah yeah...i know wat u guys are gonna say....if u don't like it...get the eff out....ok....ok...i'll deal with it...but i still don't like it...anyways...

so...the x01 motor and 8s esc is out of the question?...i read something in the earlier pages about mounting traxxas spur gears but require a special hand made mod spur carrier thingy????...don't know what that's all about...but will be looking into that...

and where are all the pics?...is it just cos there's no mod and so...u see on pic and u've seen them all?...how about bodies?...and wheels and tires???...

come on guys...what have all of u tried?...anyone go with 23mm hex wheels???...larger wheels n tires???

are u guys that unimaginative????....or the folks of this forum just not the sharing type...
This is the spool you need to run traxxas REVO spur gears. That has nothing to do with using XO-1 motor on 8s. It does have to do with you being able to get the car up for high speed runs.

Also, what the heck is your deal? What are you trying to imagine? Getting the cars to run 100+ requires AERODYNAMIC fixes. The power is already easily attainable. You are worrying about the wrong stuff.

And why the heck would you want 23mm hex wheels? This isn't a truck and that won't help you go fast. You'll just lose control easier with huge tires.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

exactly...those are the type of info i need...the do's and don'ts...how the heck am i suppose to know...again...newbie here...

i'm just merely putting questions out there that i don't see on here...that's all...not trying to offend anyone...just trying to fish for information...just trying to see what u guys have tried and not tried...i'm not saying i'm going to do all those things...i just want to know what has been done...what has worked...what has not worked...etc...

fishing for information out of this place is almost impossible....u ask one question...or make one comment...and everyone is all up in ur face...either making a wise crack...or telling u how stupid u are...from the little that i've read...u guys are some of the most unfriendly and unapproachable people ever....i feel like i'm walking on pins and needles here...

come on guys....loosen up...why so serious?...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

exactly...those are the type of info i need...the do's and don'ts...how the heck am i suppose to know...again...newbie here...

i'm just merely putting questions out there that i don't see on here...that's all...not trying to offend anyone...just trying to fish for information...just trying to see what u guys have tried and not tried...i'm not saying i'm going to do all those things...i just want to know what has been done...what has worked...what has not worked...etc...

fishing for information out of this place is almost impossible....u ask one question...or make one comment...and everyone is all up in ur face...either making a wise crack...or telling u how stupid u are...from the little that i've read...u guys are some of the most unfriendly and unapproachable people ever....i feel like i'm walking on pins and needles here...

come on guys....loosen up...why so serious?...
Forgot, for tires get the preglued GRP Rally wheels. They do not balloon, period. I've had mine up to 120mph in the air (for a quick bench test) with no ballooning.

I have a GTP2e that I've sidelined because I think its to weak. I've moved on to my RC8Be which I've lowered, fitted a 36t Revo spur, and put the rally wheels on. I've crashed it brutally several times and its always fared better than the GTP2e did.

Also, I had an XO-1 for a brief period. I just didn't like risking that much money every time I took it out. So I sold it and bought ht the GTP2e.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Forgot, for tires get the preglued GRP Rally wheels. They do not balloon, period. I've had mine up to 120mph in the air (for a quick bench test) with no ballooning.

I have a GTP2e that I've sidelined because I think its to weak. I've moved on to my RC8Be which I've lowered, fitted a 36t Revo spur, and put the rally wheels on. I've crashed it brutally several times and its always fared better than the GTP2e did.

Also, I had an XO-1 for a brief period. I just didn't like risking that much money every time I took it out. So I sold it and bought ht the GTP2e.
sold it eh?...ahahaha....all these toys are expensive...i downloaded the dm1 manual...and the first thing it said was....THIS IS NOT A TOY!!!!...i laffed...

if ur gonna be in this hobby...ur gonna be dishing out a ton of money that u'll never ever get back...and if ur planning to make money out of this hobby...pfftttt...i scoff at that too...this hobby is a money pit...period!

and i have to say...u did the right thing...u sold it before it became a larger money pit...i'm a newbie...and i've spent well over 4K already into 5 cars...and it's only been about 4 months...the wifey regretted the day i bought a merv for my son...it's been crazy...(once she finds out about this latest purchase...she's gonna flip her lid...might get to the point in which i might be camping on the couch)...

thanks for all the info...i appreciate it...if u've got more...keep them coming...and ur stuff...post up some pics...i'd like to see what u've done..
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by brushless55
has anyone tried the Hobbyking 2650kv version?
I hear that motor has more poles than the castle version and gives more torque and runs cooler....
and about 55bucks!
i have the hobbyking trackstar 2650kv in my e-revo...it's been working fine for me...i run 6s 40c batts through them and the temps haven't been hot (i can still touch the can...can't seem to find my long lost displaced Fluke temp gun)...

i also have a 2200kv castle motor in my revo-e...and both the motor perform just about the same...the castle has more lower end torque...but trackstar seems faster...although the trackstar can produce wheelies at 30mph just as well as the castle...

i've got nothing bad to say about either of the motor...i have no clue as to how they're constructed or which is better than which...i just know they both work and are great motors...and the price for the trackstar is more lenient to my wallet which makes the wifey a little happier...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

sold it eh?...ahahaha....all these toys are expensive...i downloaded the dm1 manual...and the first thing it said was....THIS IS NOT A TOY!!!!...i laffed...

if ur gonna be in this hobby...ur gonna be dishing out a ton of money that u'll never ever get back...and if ur planning to make money out of this hobby...pfftttt...i scoff at that too...this hobby is a money pit...period!

and i have to say...u did the right thing...u sold it before it became a larger money pit...i'm a newbie...and i've spent well over 4K already into 5 cars...and it's only been about 4 months...the wifey regretted the day i bought a merv for my son...it's been crazy...(once she finds out about this latest purchase...she's gonna flip her lid...might get to the point in which i might be camping on the couch)...

thanks for all the info...i appreciate it...if u've got more...keep them coming...and ur stuff...post up some pics...i'd like to see what u've done..
You need to learn to shop better. I have had 20 cars that didn't add up to $4k spent; I buy almost nothing new. My RC8T CE and RC8Be only cost me $500 for both (crazy ebay find). RTR with batteries, $100 steering servos MMM's and 2200kv motors. As for the XO-1, I only paid $550 it (RTR with batts), broke it twice which cost me $25 to fix (got lucky), then sold it for $800. I also sold it because I hated the controller. The chassis was pretty stellar in design though.

Take my GTP2e for example, I paid $125 for the roller. I've crashed it a couple times and have spent $35 fixing it. So now its on the shelf, too weak. My RC8Be can take a lot more abuse and go over 100mph so its my main high speed car now.

So while I agree this hobby is expensive, there are definitely smart ways to save money.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think both of you need to relax.

IvVaum: It takes years and time to learn the craft of car modification - IMHO, it's not too far off from the real deal - you need to learn aerodynamics, suspension and many other things to be able to go at the speeds you want. It's also not something you can just read on a forum and poof, be good at it. Try things, work up in steps, learn, think outside the box.

As for a forum, as specific questions rather than "how do I go fast?" Also, don't try to cram 11ty-billion questions in one sentence, most will forget a lot of the questions before even getting to the end.

Bmr4life: Chill dude, there are tons of new people on here, don't need to be so critical after 1 post. Also, things like saying you sold the car because you didn't like the controller isn't helping your credibility - most advanced car guys don't use stock radios in the first place and if you can't change out a radio, you're not that advanced. (I'm sure you can, just explaining my point.)

One thing I'll comment on right now is tires - don't use rally tires for going fast, regardless if they don't balloon or not. Rally type tread is not something you want under your car when it's going fast.

Proper fast tires are GT belted tires. Here's a great place to get them:

http://www.sweepracingusa.com/18-GT-...set_p_265.html

As far as just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Aero - you need to seal the bottom of the car - one of the MAJOR reasons RC cars can't go fast is the amount of air that gets under them and causes them to go airborne. You need to prevent as much air from getting under that lexan body and turning itself into a parachute. Most create an undertray that seals the entire bottom of the car to the body. Take a look at the XO-1's plastic undertray for an example.

Then there's work on front air dams (splitters) which prevent air from going under the car in the first place and act like a front wing and then there's the rear wing - too much is a bad thing. A lot of new people in the world of Aero put huge wings on the rear, which end up just distorting the lexan at high speeds because it's pushing it down or trying to pull the wing off, or worse, it creates too much downforce and starts to pick up the front end.

And then batteries, motors, oh my. 8s is just wrong. For one, trying to get that amount of batteries in the chassis is going to be difficult, not to mention the weight. Plus, try to find a reliable ESC that will handle 8s and the current to go with it. 6s is only really used for ultra high speed runs (greater than 100mph) IMHO. Work on a 4s (better to have 2-2s packs for even weight distribution) and then the ability to go to a 6s when you have all the kinks worked out. You should be able to do 60-70mph on a 4s pack safely before even trying a 6s. Take a look at this pic... its of OFNA's new onroad car - they stole my idea of moving the batteries to both sides and in back... this is what I plan to make a DM-1 chassis in Carbon fiber of:

But then making the chassis where it's the full size of the body, but in the layout of the above pic.

As you can see, there's a LOT to learn. Take it slow, try things and don't expect to put all this crap on your car and get it to go 100mph, consistently and with stability.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

The GRP Rally tires have proven success. I definitely will stand by them.

As for the radio, I didn't want to change it out since that's how its locked and unlocked it as well as knowing I probably wasn't going to be keeping it anyway. My other RC's all use my DX3R Pro which I love.

Also, the XO-1 has the aero very well figured out. The other forums have figured out how to add the front splitter and rear diffuser onto these cars. I've been hoping that the rollers would be more prevalent and come down in price. I'd pay $150 for one but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.