Search
Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
the center shock mount will be in the wrong place
Right. I forgot about that but should be able to solve that issue pretty easily.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
I assume this is an issue between my esc and controller. I'm using a Sanwa MT-S and a Hobbywing Xerun XR10 Pro Stock Spec V4 Sensored Brushless ESC. What would cause a throttle response like that? I'm running the gearing and motor timing of the fast guys - but I feel like there's a step I'm missing here to calibrate everything.

2017 X1 - setup stock out of the box
Had the same problem with that speed controller. Checked and reset everything before I found the sensor cable was coming out of the esc. Pushed the cable back in all the way and the problem went away. Apparently the esc goes into a sensorless mode when the cable is disconnected and does not give you any warning mode ( flashing / blinking lights, ect ).
Was this at NorCal? If so, that crash was pretty epic
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
Had the same problem with that speed controller. Checked and reset everything before I found the sensor cable was coming out of the esc. Pushed the cable back in all the way and the problem went away. Apparently the esc goes into a sensorless mode when the cable is disconnected and does not give you any warning mode ( flashing / blinking lights, ect ).
Was this at NorCal? If so, that crash was pretty epic
Darn. I bet that's what it was. It was fine in the pits and for the first lap or so - then it went out on me.

Yea @ Norcal. Good track. Good people. Definitely recommend it. I guess I was famous for the day A put the youtube link up at the Norcal facebook site. All part of the process I guess
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Wish I could share the YouTube vid but can't post links yet, but man, it was a hard hit. Car was handling poorly in the first 2 heats. Some of the more experiences guys were helping me out, mostly on gearing and motor timing. Was still having a problem with throttle that led to this crash.

I'd hold full throttle and it would be very sluggish before suddenly kicking in after a few seconds. This naturally sent me flying at inopportune times. I managed it mostly until the last minute when it sent me hard into the boards. I ripped the entire rear end off the car, and amazingly the spring from the shock was actually on the axle after all the parts landed.lol. Lost a tire. Cracked the chassis. Broke the shock. A good time was had by all.

I assume this is an issue between my esc and controller. I'm using a Sanwa MT-S and a Hobbywing Xerun XR10 Pro Stock Spec V4 Sensored Brushless ESC. What would cause a throttle response like that? I'm running the gearing and motor timing of the fast guys - but I feel like there's a step I'm missing here to calibrate everything.

2017 X1 - setup stock out of the box
Sounds like a bad sensor wire or a sensor board.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

definitely sounds like a sensor wire. if you lost total control of the car, that'd sound like a receiver
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What is everyone putting on the king pins to get them feeling nice and smooth? I just built the car and they don't feel like they are catching, but they don't really feel smooth either.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

10k silicon oil (diff oil)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Last edited by phatboislim; 03-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Blues Hockey
What is everyone putting on the king pins to get them feeling nice and smooth? I just built the car and they don't feel like they are catching, but they don't really feel smooth either.
Putting lube on the kingpins doesn't solve 'catching' issues. I always polish new pins (kingpins, hinge pins, etc). Gravity RC makes an all purpose polish that works great. I've also used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish that you can pick up at Walmart which also works good. Mount the kingpins in a dremel, put some polish on a towel and spin them up. No need to put a lot of force on them. This takes any oxidation, debris, machine residue off and makes them smooth.

I also look at the ball, I don't normally ream them as xray parts have a good tolerance and you don't want to introduce slop, but I will inspect the edges for any burrs in the plastic, a light swipe with an xacto blade does the trick around the inside edge.

For lube, which is intended for dampening .. I use bearing oil up to 10k depending on the feel I want on the track.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Speaking of kingpins, I just happen to have a set of Tamiya titanium coated kingpins on hand (have a few F104s, lots of F104 spares). I was wondering if these were any better than the stock Xray ones. They are the same dimensions and fit right in. I wouldn't recommend them as an upgrade, unless they are better. But I just happened to have them
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by viking44
Speaking of kingpins, I just happen to have a set of Tamiya titanium coated kingpins on hand (have a few F104s, lots of F104 spares). I was wondering if these were any better than the stock Xray ones. They are the same dimensions and fit right in. I wouldn't recommend them as an upgrade, unless they are better. But I just happened to have them
I've had various ti-nitride coated pins in a variety of cars. I would not say they are better. If you have them, by all means use them. In my experience, the ti-nitride coating makes the kingpin smooth out of the bag - the same if you polish the stock kingpins (but no better). The positive is, you don't have to polish anything, the negative is if you scratch them, there is nothing you can do about it (polishing the ti-nitride pins will take the coating off). They do get scratched occasionally .. by shims, springs, e-clips, etc.

Also in some cars with tight tolerances, the ti-coating adds a little diameter to the pin, which can cause a little sticking, especially noticeable with metal pivot balls (even more noticeable if there is a slight scratch in them).

Honestly if you polish any stock kingpin it feels a ton better than if you don't.
forFREEDOM likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info! That's why I like the composite pivot balls on the X-ray, less chance of scratching the kingpin. Also why I try to avoid using the provided metal shims on there. Instead, I use the composite shims for ride height and droop.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Was thinking about getting this kit, is F1 too hard to learn as my first racing class? Complete newb here.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by mstrfahrenheit; 03-31-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Dan is smarter :)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

F1 is not the easiest class for newcomers, especially on lower grip asphalt. If you race at Norcal Hobbies, traction is very inconsistent so it may be frustrating to drive when traction is lower. 4WD classes are more forgiving. Seen too many new F1 guys try it and then quit. It is a steeper learning curve for sure, but a lot of fun once you figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.