Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Hi to all
I want to know a setup to begin with for a low bite asphalt track.
Please any suggestion it's welcome
Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some more setup help

Hey Jason you or anyone else have some good suggestions for a LiPo/BL setup for the RR yet? (for a med/high bite track?)

my setup I ran today - which was just a default starting point, worked OK, but in the main while I had some incredible traction I also had an issue where in the corner the car would traction roll at the end of a high speed straight.

The setup is:

Front:
Ride height 3.5 - 4mm
Caster is at One shim in front and one in back on the 5Deg block
Neutral Toe
About 1.0 Neg Camber
Laydown Servo so I have some toe in on compression
Fronts trued/worn down to 1.6 or so
.20 linear springs
5000 weight on the kingpins
Compound - Black compound

Center:
1 Cell LiPo all the way back
Center shock at the tall front mount position
50wt in the Siliva shock, Blue spring
Sure Lube #3 in the tubes.
Thin flex plates with the forward mount in the softest position (forward)
Center height 4mm

Rear:
78 Spur/45 Pinion (10.5T)
Ride height 4mm
~ .5 mm droop, maybe less
running tires trued/worn to 1.7
Compound: CRC Yellow

Body Parma Speed 8.

Total weight with body 715gm

So as you can see the car is very soft, but transitions great due to its low weight. if I left it stiff the car felt very slippery, making the ass end softer and going to the .20 front springs really let the car transition through corners. Unfortunately it couldnt cope with the lateral loads in the highspeed corners and started rolling itself over on most corners at high speed. Our winter points series just wrapped up, but my goal is now to get a real solid setup documented and well tested for this summer and carry it into the coming season. We just standardized on a 10.5T BL / 1 Cell LiPo setup for our 1/12ths.

Suggestions?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Well got to run the car with the Serpent front end today I haven't got the setup right yet but the car felt very smooth...much like it did with the CRC front end with the long upper arm conversion. The only problems I had with it was high speed steering...just didn't quite have enough. And I also had a bit of double steer. But I am still playing around with the car's setup so I'm sure I'll get that licked. All in all the front end shows a lot of promise for it's first day out.

Frank's BMI was running great today and brought him home the big W! I finished 3rd with a less then optimal setup and was pretty happy with that.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drover
Hi to all
I want to know a setup to begin with for a low bite asphalt track.
Please any suggestion it's welcome
I would run the stock setup but with the batts in the back, the angled servo and the gold spring and 40 wt. oil
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Clegg
Some more setup help

Hey Jason you or anyone else have some good suggestions for a LiPo/BL setup for the RR yet? (for a med/high bite track?)

my setup I ran today - which was just a default starting point, worked OK, but in the main while I had some incredible traction I also had an issue where in the corner the car would traction roll at the end of a high speed straight.

The setup is:

Front:
Ride height 3.5 - 4mm
Caster is at One shim in front and one in back on the 5Deg block
Neutral Toe
About 1.0 Neg Camber
Laydown Servo so I have some toe in on compression
Fronts trued/worn down to 1.6 or so
.20 linear springs
5000 weight on the kingpins
Compound - Black compound

Center:
1 Cell LiPo all the way back
Center shock at the tall front mount position
50wt in the Siliva shock, Blue spring
Sure Lube #3 in the tubes.
Thin flex plates with the forward mount in the softest position (forward)
Center height 4mm

Rear:
78 Spur/45 Pinion (10.5T)
Ride height 4mm
~ .5 mm droop, maybe less
running tires trued/worn to 1.7
Compound: CRC Yellow

Body Parma Speed 8.

Total weight with body 715gm

So as you can see the car is very soft, but transitions great due to its low weight. if I left it stiff the car felt very slippery, making the ass end softer and going to the .20 front springs really let the car transition through corners. Unfortunately it couldnt cope with the lateral loads in the highspeed corners and started rolling itself over on most corners at high speed. Our winter points series just wrapped up, but my goal is now to get a real solid setup documented and well tested for this summer and carry it into the coming season. We just standardized on a 10.5T BL / 1 Cell LiPo setup for our 1/12ths.

Suggestions?

Shorten the center shock and you should be good. Run it at the shortest position and that will kill the traction rolls. Try the medium ballstud there also.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Well got to run the car with the Serpent front end today I haven't got the setup right yet but the car felt very smooth...much like it did with the CRC front end with the long upper arm conversion. The only problems I had with it was high speed steering...just didn't quite have enough. And I also had a bit of double steer. But I am still playing around with the car's setup so I'm sure I'll get that licked. All in all the front end shows a lot of promise for it's first day out.

Frank's BMI was running great today and brought him home the big W! I finished 3rd with a less then optimal setup and was pretty happy with that.
A smooth running car that has a high speed push and double steer.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by march to my own
Running optional parts such as CRC or serpent front end that is not stock can have negative effects on the cars handling. The stock front end is what the car was tested with and the steering geometry of the stock front end is what the car works best with. Other companies have front ends and there car may work fine with it but if someone wants to try it they are more than welcome to. I cant guarentee it will work well but they are entitled. I already dealt with this at snowbirds and proved that the stock front end was much faster on this car.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by march to my own
Smooth in the way it reacts to input...it was never edgy and only had the double steer in 1 corner. I know it sounds like it doesn't make sense but you'd probably have to see it to understand what I mean. With the exception of the double steer the car just feels a lot more calm to drive.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
Running optional parts such as CRC or serpent front end that is not stock can have negative effects on the cars handling. The stock front end is what the car was tested with and the steering geometry of the stock front end is what the car works best with. Other companies have front ends and there car may work fine with it but if someone wants to try it they are more than welcome to. I cant guarentee it will work well but they are entitled. I already dealt with this at snowbirds and proved that the stock front end was much faster on this car.
True...but we never prgress without experimentation and I love to do that. While the stock front end did prove to be the best at the Snowbirds I and others are still nervous about the fragility of the IRS lower arm. The easiest solution would be to just replace them with machine lowered original AE arms...but this is more fun
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

True...but we never prgress without experimentation and I love to do that. While the stock front end did prove to be the best at the Snowbirds I and others are still nervous about the fragility of the IRS lower arm. The easiest solution would be to just replace them with machine lowered original AE arms...but this is more fun
I know buddy. I need people to understand that this is an experiment that you are doing and any problems that may occur has no reflection on the car as it comes in stock form. This is a hobby and trying new things is what makes it fun. In a competetive market, I just dont want anyone to jump to conclusions that any problems that occur during experimentation of consumers is a problem with our car. No digs at you, i think its cool that you are trying new things out. When it comes to stiff competition we proved that the car gets the job done with 2 podium finishes in both World GT and 1/12th with only 1 driver.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

LOL speaking of which...think you could shave a little talent off of Schreff and Fairtrace and sell it to the rest of us mere mortals?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Lord

LOL speaking of which...think you could shave a little talent off of Schreff and Fairtrace and sell it to the rest of us mere mortals?
Those guys are machines right
Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What are some alternatives to 5000wt. oil in the sides, and front?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark506
What are some alternatives to 5000wt. oil in the sides, and front?
Shurlube #1 to #6. I use 2,3 and 4. 3 and 4 seems to be what everyone uses. Tubes and king pins.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So I want to say a few words about the whole aftermarket front suspension setups that were talked about earlier. (Serpent, CRC).

I picked up a CRC setup and noticed once it was on the car... the front track width is narrower. Sure enough the CRC chassis is wider at the mount points than the BMI/AE spec chassis. This means in order to not have a car out of spec for front width, they had to make the front arms on the CRC shorter.

This can deffinitely cause some handling differences as you now have a larger discrepency in front/rear wheel base. And because of how the front spindles are setup on the CRC there really isnt a way to change the front width.

That and the fact you need to use different bearings for the CRC as the spindles are much larger than 1/8th.

Just thought I would point this out for those who didnt measure before/after. And I do have a full CRC front arm setup for sale now if anyone wants it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.