Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm very curious about tweak (my arch nemesis of rc) as well. Would you fellows that have been running it say it holds tweak better, the same, or worse than a standard top deck configuration. Also, does anybody know an online shop in the States that has the mid-motor conversion kit in stock? I am extremely tempted to get one of these cars. Thank you fellows in advance for your assistance in answering my questions.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by b_recliner
I'm very curious about tweak (my arch nemesis of rc) as well. Would you fellows that have been running it say it holds tweak better, the same, or worse than a standard top deck configuration. Also, does anybody know an online shop in the States that has the mid-motor conversion kit in stock? I am extremely tempted to get one of these cars. Thank you fellows in advance for your assistance in answering my questions.

I have 2 mid motor kits left!!! And a Mi5 kit as well !!!

Last edited by DiscountRCStore; 06-26-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

DiscountRCStore, do you have parts listed on your site? How do you get to them I can't seem to find them. Sent you a PM hit me back if you can....
Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by b_recliner
I'm very curious about tweak (my arch nemesis of rc) as well. Would you fellows that have been running it say it holds tweak better, the same, or worse than a standard top deck configuration.
So far I've never had the car develop chassis tweak at all. With the top deck designed the way it is the car springs back to straight all the time.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just got done with the build and putting electronics in the car (it was awesome building one of these again ), but wanted some input on the 17.5 class running the Proto R9R. I have never ran this body b4 and have had several painted uncut bodies sitting around for a couple of years (this is 1 of them)
Thoughts please....
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Just got done with the build and putting electronics in the car (it was awesome building one of these again ), but wanted some input on the 17.5 class running the Proto R9R. I have never ran this body b4 and have had several painted uncut bodies sitting around for a couple of years (this is 1 of them)
Thoughts please....
The body behaves well and gave my cars a good balance. It can be a little nervous on the rear. Other than that it felt like the Mazda6 on my cars. Since the Mi5 has good rear grip, you won't maybe recognize that it can be a little nervous.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone running the Mi5 should subscribe to Martin Hofer's blog: http://hofaaa.wordpress.com/

His latest post about building tips is really good. I use to do some of the stuff he mentioned in the past and I learned a few things.

Putting m3x3mm set screws in the microcaster block and rear hub and reaming out the arms to let the hinge pins rotate got rid of every bit of play while allowing perfectly free motion of the suspension.

Squishing the ball cups to tighten them up is brilliant and works just as he said.

Gluing the piston to the shock shaft or adding a 3x0.1 or 0.2mm shim under the piston to take up any looseness get rid of a the undamped movement that exists.

For those of you with leaking shocks adding a 4mm (i.d.) x 0.3mm shim between the o-ring spacer and the shock bushing. This will compress the o-ring a touch more and provide a better seal.

There are a few more tips. Definitely worth a read.

Also, after trying the kit setups I like Martin's Base Setup better. The setup is for carpet as it appears. Look at the note box to see what needs to be changed for running the setup on tarmac.

MH Base Setup: http://hofaaa.files.wordpress.com/20..._mh_230413.pdf
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Regarding tweak, i also never noticed any so far and i really doubt it will develop any kind of tweak in future...maybe if we hit a brick wall at full throttle
Just like Adrian says: Hofer's blog is a must read for all MI5/Mi4 owners. I will definitely try is tips.
What body do you guys think is the best for a low to med grip, very big asphalt track (1/8 type track)??
I run the LTC-R and will try the Mazda 6 this weekend, just searching for a more confortable to drive car since this car as plenty of steering.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gama
Regarding tweak, i also never noticed any so far and i really doubt it will develop any kind of tweak in future...maybe if we hit a brick wall at full throttle
Just like Adrian says: Hofer's blog is a must read for all MI5/Mi4 owners. I will definitely try is tips.
What body do you guys think is the best for a low to med grip, very big asphalt track (1/8 type track)??
I run the LTC-R and will try the Mazda 6 this weekend, just searching for a more confortable to drive car since this car as plenty of steering.
I really think the Protoform Speed 6 will be "The" body for this car. I just got some LTCR's to try out but as you said the Mi5 has plenty of steering so the aggression of the LTCR may not be necessary.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gama
I bought a mazda speed-6 on sun, threw a quick rattle can solid paint job on it, and put it on my car. it really makes a difference, and calms the car down. I may never go back to the other body with this car again.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

I finally raced my Mi5. The car had a lot more steering than I'm used to and hence was a bit of a handful for me first time out. But for out of the box it was the best car I've had to date. It carried a lot of speed through the corners when I got it right. Front steering blocks survived a couple of brain farts but I did pop off a rear inner pivot ball (cracking the rear arm) after getting tagged hard by another car (my mistake). Amazingly I was still able to complete the main at a decent pace due to the arms crash impact design. Mi5 felt very smooth and drag free on the track.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

I am using the ProtoForm Mazda Speed 6 as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

My local carpet track is having an open practice, testing and tuning day tomorrow. Looking forward to 9 hours of trying different settings to see what they do. I should have a lot of stuff figured out by tomorrow evening. I really feel its important to understand WHY stuff does or doesn't work and how the car feels when you go too far one way or another with certain settings.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Got mid motor fitted along with new gen2 tekin. Ready for tonights trophy meet. So at least I will be able to try a few things and it not count for the league.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Sick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.