Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Battery

Originally Posted by k_bojar
who makes these super shorty lipos? and just how much shorter are they than a 'normal' shorty pack?
Got mine from Hobbyking. Protek, LRP and a few others make them as well. I'm thinking 3M double sided tape should hold it in, but using the battery holders backwards should provide some extra insurance.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_0742.jpg  
JatoTheRipper likes this.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Got mine from Hobbyking. Protek, LRP and a few others make them as well. I'm thinking 3M double sided tape should hold it in, but using the battery holders backwards should provide some extra insurance.
well ain't that tiny. i'm guessing they aren't ROAR approved, huh? and from the looks of it, not too big on the capacity side of things (looks like only a 2300mah pack)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Bah! ROAR SCHMOAR!

Actually, it is ROAR/BRCA approved and capacity is 2600mah. I'm using around 1000mah for a race and warm up laps. There is still a worry about voltage sag, given it is a smaller capacity pack, but I got it for around $20, so it's an affordable experiment
k_bojar and JatoTheRipper like this.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Bah! ROAR SCHMOAR!

Actually, it is ROAR/BRCA approved and capacity is 2600mah. I'm using around 1000mah for a race and warm up laps. There is still a worry about voltage sag, given it is a smaller capacity pack, but I got it for around $20, so it's an affordable experiment
whoops.. i thought the pack said 2.3 - but then i double checked (after your comment) and i was wrong

yeah, i agree with the ROAR, SCHMOAR dealio - but since most tracks follow their rules for batteries/speedos/motors, we're stuck with them
Old 08-10-2017, 03:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ROAR has its place, but in some cases, people get too hung up on their rulings. Batteries are a good example. A 2s lipo, charged to 8.4v, is exactly what it sounds like. There's no need to regulate it. It's not really a safety thing, either. I've seen as many approved packs burn down as I've seen unapproved packs.

Motors are something I can see the sense in regulating, but I'm a total dweeb for spec racing - same motors/gearing across a given class. It puts the focus on setup and driving.

Hmm. It appears I needed a rant.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use heavy duty velcro on my 1:18 2S I run on my MFour. Holds well, if you want to give that a shot too. Plus it is reusable so no need to tape and retape.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

... A 2s lipo, charged to 8.4v, is exactly what it sounds like. There's no need to regulate it....
A 2S lipo charged beyond 9V powering a "spec" TT01 is a sight to behold! TOP FUEL! Trust them when they say battery voltage needs to be tech'd.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
A 2S lipo charged beyond 9V powering a "spec" TT01 is a sight to behold! TOP FUEL! Trust them when they say battery voltage needs to be tech'd.
No doubt. Tech is a requirement. People are only honest until there's a cheap shiny trophy in the line.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Please, do give us an update. This was one of my concerns while building the M-07. I tried to tighten everything evenly and in a cross pattern so that I didn't distort the chassis.

The disappearing tape on the bottom of the chassis was one of my concerns. Because of this I also put tape on the inside and I'm glad I did. I have an idea to fix this though.
Update. It no longer pulls left after untwisting the chassis
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Putting the holders on backwards is a good idea. I wonder if that, alone, will hold regular sized shorties.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Update. It no longer pulls left after untwisting the chassis
Good to know. Thank you. Mine doesn't pull to hard either way and my driveway is not flat. I'll get a good idea of how mine drives when I get to drive it elsewhere.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Putting the holders on backwards is a good idea. I wonder if that, alone, will hold regular sized shorties.
A regular shorty is too long for that unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

So I was working on my new WR02 Jimny yesterday to paint the body before temperature outside cools down. For its bumpers I brushed on some old black Pactra/Duratrax PC paint (lacquer based?) which is the same as the black paint I use on my Rover Mini's fenders.. only to find the paint thinner had completely evaporated in 2 of my 3 bottles I had.

Anyone know if there is another brand thinner I can use with the same/similar formulation?

I was very glad I noticed it yesterday before my black paint dried up completely. I dumped the thinner I had left in there to salvage it. I still have 3 unpainted Mini bodies NIB to work on, and I am definitely going to start working on them today to get at least the black fenders and grills painted this week. The rest of the painting can wait until it's time to use them.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

The pinion access hole in the bottom of the chassis is a huge mistake by Tamiya. Including tape to cover the hole is a Band-Aid that just doesn't work. I designed a reusable plug. I printed mine on my home printer and I'll try it out this week. I have uploaded my design on Shapeways for sale.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SE...t-chassis-plug

20170807_212150 by JatoTheRipper, on Flickr
Will you post to australia
Old 08-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P.I.R.C
Will you post to australia
You place the order with Shapeways. They handle the printing and shipping. Thank you for your interest!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What are initial thoughts on swaybars and M07s on high grip carpet? I got them, but would prefer to not use them. Just one more thing to screw with, y'know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.