Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality? >

Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you're after monster trucks that changes things a bit.

Traxxas should be in the list as well as HPI. The HPI Savage is an awesome truck; very durable out of the box.

If you want a no-hassle truck, for me the HPI Savage and Traxxas Revo are your two top picks for having fun.

Parts support and availability for each is huge.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by one-eight
Are there any major brands which share the same factory?

Originally Posted by wingracer
not sure but there are manufacturers out there that make parts for several different companies. For instance, Top (makers of great onroad cars) started out making components for many other companies.

Also, I believe all the various engines out there based on the GRP design all come from the same factory. Could be wrong of course. But this is common in the engine market. Look at all the Nova made motors out there with other names on them.
Right, it seems like the re-badged motors and different brand motors produced by the same factory are some what common knowledge. But the cars seem to have their own distinct fit, finish and quality.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

If you want a monster truck the losi xxl is the way to go. Fast and very easy to work on. Its durable and parts are everywhere.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bife
I'm sorry, but many of the Kyosho Products, including the MP9, are made in Taiwan. The MP9 is being produced (most of the parts) in the Kingstar Factory in Taiwan. And I know this 100% sure.
Bife, you are making factual statements that are 100-percent incorrect. That's about as respectful as I can say it. 100-percent of Kyosho's racing vehicles are made in Japan. The MP9, which you claim to know so much about, is absolutely 100-percent made in Japan to the point that they're even using Japanese bearings and hardware. You can debate the point all you want about whether you think one country can make better products that another, and whether you think it's worth it, but you need to check yourself before making factual statements about how, what or where any company does anything.

Having worked at Kyosho, I happen to know what I'm telling you is 100-percent fact. Kyosho has never been shy about where their product is produced, and some of their RTRs ARE made in China by quality manufacturers - a couple RTRs are also made in Taiwan, also by quality manufacturers. Many of the critical parts, such as the molded parts, some machined parts and other misc items are still made in Japan and shipped elsewhere for assembly, because they're more confident in the finished product, but there's never been an aversion to disclosing where anything is made - it's printed in plain English right on the box.

Kyosho would probably rather not get involved in discussions like this on internet forums because it serves no good purpose. But I've been a fan of their products for decades, and they're quietly proud of the standards they hold themselves to, especially regarding the competition kits, and they're ALL made in Japan. They pride themselves with the high standards they set, and they've produced some of the best cars on the market for longer than any other manufacturer in the World. When I see someone like you completely misrepresent these facts, and by innuendo suggest that "it's not really what they say it is," well, I'm here to defend the truth and tell you that you're completely wrong. This is probably just ignorant flame baiting and perhaps a waste of time replying, but for the benefit of anyone else that gives your fallacy any credibility, I guess this is somewhat of a justified response.

There are many quality products that come from factories all over Asia, so this isn't a condemnation of those products. There are plenty of them that are well worth the money, but there are also plenty that are not. Nobody from within Kyosho has EVER claimed superiority based on the simple fact of where its racing products are made. But the standards they set for themselves and for their customers, and the pride they take in delivering the best quality product is commendable and shouldn't be fodder for this type of nonsense.

Last edited by SteveP; 10-15-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I saw a lot of good brands mentioned there, but let's not forget about O'Donnell....

I work for a global company, and I have had a good deal of experience dealing with products and components that were made in China / Taiwan. To be quite honest, they are fully capable of producing very high quality products.

Just like in the US, the quality of the finished product is directly related to the quality of the materials, the robustness of the design, and the Quality Control processes at the manufacturer. As long as the company that is doing the work is up to par, which many of them are, there is no problem with Chinese, or Taiwanese made products.

All of the big names will most certainly use the better manufacturers in those countries. It's the "budget brand" RC products that you need to be a bit more careful with. I'm not saying those are bad, I'm saying that there's a greater risk for quality issues than with the major brands.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Good information guys. All that said, a local hobby shop stocks Traxxas cars, trucks and parts exclusively and orders others on request. I'm thinking that brand may be an advantage for me.

I didn't hear anything on the T Maxx or 3.3. Are they that less of quality not to consider them? How important are the dual steering servos that are advertised on some of them?

I'm going to check prices from the LHS on the recommended MTs stated above and compare them to on line prices and see what comes up cheaper comparing taxes/shipping etc.

Any other information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by one-eight
Are there any major brands which share the same factory?
Engines like RB, MAX, Mega-MF, Capricorn, Murnan, JP and Gimar are all Novarossi
Mega, IDM, some of JL, some of Trinity and I think the new Motonica engine is made by Picco

Cars from caster racing are sold under several brandnames as also Nitrotek, Acme, some models of Carson and Smartech are made by the same company.

But mostly the big names have their own productions.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Engines like RB, MAX, Mega-MF, Capricorn, Murnan, JP and Gimar are all Novarossi
Mega, IDM, some of JL, some of Trinity and I think the new Motonica engine is made by Picco

Cars from caster racing are sold under several brandnames as also Nitrotek, Acme, some models of Carson and Smartech are made by the same company.

But mostly the big names have their own productions.
Trinty Nitro engines were star based.. Since they don't offer a Nitro and more.. Team Epic/Trinity is the current importer for Sirio..
Old 10-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Not only China, Japan and Taiwan have their RC Car factories; Tamiya is represented in whole Asia with factories; here for example a photo series called 'visit to TAMIYA PHILIPPINES INCORPORATED':

http://www.tamiya-plamodelfactory.co.jp/blog/?p=10044
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
Trinty Nitro engines were star based.. Since they don't offer a Nitro and more.. Team Epic/Trinity is the current importer for Sirio..
I know for a long time they were Picco based, but then again it shows how some OEM brands do switch from supplier.....
Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I know for a long time they were Picco based, but then again it shows how some OEM brands do switch from supplier.....
You're correct that the older Trinity line had some Picco mfg. engines.

Trinity also has used the Sirio/Star engines as well.

At one point I think they offered engines from 3 mfg. Picco, Sirio, and I forget the third; but they used the "Nitrofellas" ad campaign a few years back.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I don't really care who or where a car is made or assembled as long as the final product is quality.

I believe manufacturers teamed with Asian companies to assemble their cars because they have more production capabilities and certainly cheaper workmanship.

It is a question of profit at the end of the years. It is not just good for RC, it is good for all others products we buy.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sorry, but many of the Kyosho Products, including the MP9, are made in Taiwan. The MP9 is being produced (most of the parts) in the Kingstar Factory in Taiwan. And I know this 100% sure.
I am 100% sure, you know nothing about Kyosho. Get your facts straight before posting, and the friend of my friend that is a good friend with Tebo's friend comments.. ARE JUST BS.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sylvain
I don't really care who or where a car is made or assembled as long as the final product is quality.

I believe manufacturers teamed with Asian companies to assemble their cars because they have more production capabilities and certainly cheaper workmanship.

It is a question of profit at the end of the years. It is not just good for RC, it is good for all others products we buy.
True. But take JQ's car for example. It will be a risk getting a first run car. But if it was known that a quality company like Ho Bao was making it, it would instill a lot of confidence in me as a first time buyer.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

MP9 is 100% Japan, period. Right from Auto Model into the box, and even Spec A is assembled in Japan under Kanai's supervision. Don't spread rumors, although this is a touchy subject with some sensitive people... they might want to smear Kyosho because of a bad experience or they got their feelings hurt when they played with the bigger kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.