Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Best Lipo for Ofna Blue Truggy Starter Box? >

Best Lipo for Ofna Blue Truggy Starter Box?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lipo for Ofna Blue Truggy Starter Box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
not sure if this is true or not but i heard that there r only a hand full of companies that make lipo batteries and that other companies just put there wrap on them. if thats the case the ebay batteries and other brand batteries r in fact the same ones with a diff wrap. but liike i said i'm not sure if this is 100% true. if anyone knows the truth please enlighten us.
I have reason to believe that this is in fact true--same goes for a lot of the brushless motors out there. Sad. Like that Losi pack. It's a full $30 more than the Venom, yet the specifications are dead on. I'm starting to re-think that $250 I just dropped on (2) Thunder Power 2s 40C hard case packs.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Don't forget that after you buy that big honkin battery-you really need to upgrade the wiring and solder all connection in the box to get rid those spade connectors. If you don't it may put excess load on the batt and cause probs later. So save yourself some trouble and get some good 12 ga (deans or something like) wire and replace everything inside the box, it definately will not hurt anything.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

not sure if this is true or not but i heard that there r only a hand full of companies that make lipo batteries and that other companies just put there wrap on them. if thats the case the ebay batteries and other brand batteries r in fact the same ones with a diff wrap. but liike i said i'm not sure if this is 100% true. if anyone knows the truth please enlighten us.

you are correct....some companies havetheir own cell make up with different chemistry but 99.9% of lipo's come from the same foreign factory....Name brand packs are NOT worth the price they are asking.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have a battery tray for twin 7.2 stick packs, these ProTek LiPo's are a killer option. The only slight drawback is that you would have to convert the plugs over to Traxass connectors...

IMO with a LiPo in a starter box, you should run a low voltage cut off device of some kind...cause once the pack dumps in a starter box, there is a 99% chance its ruined.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoobie1
If you have a battery tray for twin 7.2 stick packs, these ProTek LiPo's are a killer option. The only slight drawback is that you would have to convert the plugs over to Traxass connectors...

IMO with a LiPo in a starter box, you should run a low voltage cut off device of some kind...cause once the pack dumps in a starter box, there is a 99% chance its ruined.

The last race I was at I used my box to startmy 2 cars and 2 other cars all day long. The 4s 2200 mah handeled it well. About a week later I ran some aro through my engines and it was night and day when the lipo needed to be changed there was no question it was time to charge the lipo so I pulled it out and checked the voltage it was 13.4v well above the min 12.8v. I agreethqt a cutoff I'd a good idea but I don't think it's necessary as it is very clear that the lipo needs a charge I mean the box was spinning at 1/2 speed all of a sudden.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

LOL

You guys are nuts. A 15-30c battery

Talk about over kill. I use a Common Sense 4s 6000mah Lipo made for a starter box. Only has an 8c output which is all you need. I have used this battery for almost a Month with out going below 14v yet. It last just as long as my Gel Cell did.

This battery is insane and I have a hard time starting my cars with it when its fully charged because it spins the engine so fast.

2 775 motors don't need anything above 8c to turn over anything you put on it.

O ya and if you spend good money on a LiPo most of them come with Cut-Off's built in so you don't ruin your battery.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Frank, I am not arguing with you, only providing info for those that may not be aware...

While the battery may have a acceptable 'recovered' voltage after its sat for a while, that does not mean it was not taken below its cut off point or that the voltage will not immediately drop below and acceptable level when the battery is put under load. Once you have taken a LiPo battery below 3v per cell, it is damaged and a potential risk, and some cells dont like being taken below 3.2V.

Also, there are two factors to consider here, one is minimum voltage, the other is total capacity. Like I said earlier, you do not want to take a LiPo past 3 - 3.2V per cell, or damage will occur. Some people are unaware that you could also potentially damage a LiPo by discharging more than 80% of its total capacity. In a starter box, when the RPM's drop noticeably it has most likely been taken past 80%.

Not trying to start a huge debate, just stating that for safteys sake, at the minimum a volt watch should be used when using LiPo's in starter box applications.

I use twin 4600mAh 6 cell packs, strictly for peace of mind...and I never have a problem starting anything.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
LOL

You guys are nuts. A 15-30c battery

Talk about over kill. I use a Common Sense 4s 6000mah Lipo made for a starter box. Only has an 8c output which is all you need. I have used this battery for almost a Month with out going below 14v yet. It last just as long as my Gel Cell did.

This battery is insane and I have a hard time starting my cars with it when its fully charged because it spins the engine so fast.

2 775 motors don't need anything above 8c to turn over anything you put on it.

I disagree with this....min is 20C Imo....the lower the C rating the lower the amps the pack can deliver.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

the newer protek 4s 2200mah last all day and then some ....if u woried about voltage check it .....

overkill in nitro offroad .....no such thing
Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Lord

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7225

Lipo Insurance for Starter boxes....plug it in at the beginning of the day and forget about every Over discharging your lipo Ever Again.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by scoobie1
Frank, I am not arguing with you, only providing info for those that may not be aware...

While the battery may have a acceptable 'recovered' voltage after its sat for a while, that does not mean it was not taken below its cut off point or that the voltage will not immediately drop below and acceptable level when the battery is put under load. Once you have taken a LiPo battery below 3v per cell, it is damaged and a potential risk, and some cells dont like being taken below 3.2V.

Also, there are two factors to consider here, one is minimum voltage, the other is total capacity. Like I said earlier, you do not want to take a LiPo past 3 - 3.2V per cell, or damage will occur. Some people are unaware that you could also potentially damage a LiPo by discharging more than 80% of its total capacity. In a starter box, when the RPM's drop noticeably it has most likely been taken past 80%.

Not trying to start a huge debate, just stating that for safteys sake, at the minimum a volt watch should be used when using LiPo's in starter box applications.

I use twin 4600mAh 6 cell packs, strictly for peace of mind...and I never have a problem starting anything.
I agree with you I was just stating an opinion and what I have experienced not trying to say you are wrong, I agree with you it is a great idea especially since lipos are so dangerous, I have seen them melt down and I want no part of that. I charge them in a safe bag and store them in a safe bag. Safer is always better. I was not trying to start anything or come off like a pompous a$$, oops my fault if I did.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

i don't know if any of u know this but venom batteries are going to come down in 2010. there starter box battery is on there site for $37.
Venom has cut their prices to the bone on lipo's. I got a 2200 4S 14.8 yesterday for 34.95. The same battery 6 months ago would have been better then 80 bucks.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 323 R/C Racing
Venom has cut their prices to the bone on lipo's. I got a 2200 4S 14.8 yesterday for 34.95. The same battery 6 months ago would have been better then 80 bucks.
Where did you get it from? Tower? Stormer?
Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Armaan
Where did you get it from? Tower? Stormer?
Looks like venom has them direct. That is a killer price. I paid 89.99 for the losi starter box battery not too long ago. Check it out

Lipos>> http://www.venom-group.com/storeitem...-Chargers=Lipo

Starter Box Battery>> http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN%2D15004
Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

nice! thanks, Frank!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.