Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually, interesting or maybe not bit of info about anything I put oil into in my RC gear, I live part way up a Mt, going anywhere means going down the Mt and coming home back up again, it's sinus hell if your feeling ill, but what I find interesting is regardless of how well I build and seal anything, the change in air pressure makes all my diffs and shocks leak at some point.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do yourself a favor-- go to Your local track and ask for help. The internet is full of lies...
At first after reading this I thought, Right on FJ. Then you posted this...

Originally Posted by hanulec
Hehe- crazy, right. I remember when in 2008 I used to own the fastest 1/12th scale car on the internet, but it was a the biggest, push box on the track... and had zero driver support locally and at big events. Dont make my mistake.

My real statement is -- go to your local track. Ask around. See who is helpful. See who is fast and with what equipment. And finally verify this data online.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lately i have been finding my tie rods heve been getting tweaked. not the steel center but more in the threaded end in the ball cup.not breaking but just tweaking enough where it isn"t a straight line from end to end of the assy. it is almost like the tie rod ends are not long enough to be stable.I ran halfway through the run yesterday with car very fast and handling well,then the handle went away.looking at the car today the right outer tie rod end was bent where the tie rod threads in. this is about the 3rd time this has happened. I am usually pretty good about tagging the flappers,yesterday was a clean run for me.I have been using the 30 mm tie rods with 21mm ends. is there something stronger i can use ?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello, i have now my photon ex a couple a couple of weeks.
In Belgium the outdoor season is now finished and we will begin driving on carpet.
Is there someone with a setup sheet for carpet, with the standard chassis?
I found one but it's with the stiff chassis.

Thx
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stofke
Hello, i have now my photon ex a couple a couple of weeks.
In Belgium the outdoor season is now finished and we will begin driving on carpet.
Is there someone with a setup sheet for carpet, with the standard chassis?
I found one but it's with the stiff chassis.

Thx
Check (hanulec)'s wikilinks page. I beleive it has a couple set ups that should get you on the right path.

Sorry I dont have a link for it. Google it LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm going to be running my latest "Jackson" setup indoors on Saturday and Sunday. I'll have two cars to test with- one with a std chassis/stiff top deck, another stiff chassis/soft top deck.
The other change will be light weight oil - 40wt all around. And.. a ball diff in rear.

Larry ran last week at Middle River and basically just changed shock oil and rear diff. On carpet we always run a ball diff, otherwise the car has an odd behavior on corner exit where u need to lift to get it to stop steering.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

What weight battery do you guys recommend for optimum left/right balance? Assuming the other side is with a short servo, small RX, Tekin ESC, motor and fan.

I have batteries ranging from 290-330 grams but don't have a scale on me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

You don't need corner weight scales, the old model and the new one has holes in the shock towers, find two kitchen skewers (metal), bend, then pick the car up with the skewers or really whatever wire you can find, and there you have instant rough balance, adjust till it lifts evenly.

My EX so far has always shown to be light on the motor side, even with a not so heavy pack, to make race weight here soon at the state champs, I'll likely have to add maybe 30grams or so, perhaps all on the motor side.

I don't think it's 'that' important really, and I say that given I have corner weight scales now, but it's more out of general interest I got mine.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (99%+)

I got a EX last week and I noticed that the top deck hole do not line up with the mounting holes on the bulkheads, the bottom chassis ends up bowed so the front ride height is 5mm the middle is any where from 5.5-6mm and then it's 5mm in the rear, it's tweaked really bad to the left. I have tried everything I know to try and fix it but have been unsuccessful. anyone know where I can get a new top deck.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tha Beast
I got a EX last week and I noticed that the top deck hole do not line up with the mounting holes on the bulkheads, the bottom chassis ends up bowed so the front ride height is 5mm the middle is any where from 5.5-6mm and then it's 5mm in the rear, it's tweaked really bad to the left. I have tried everything I know to try and fix it but have been unsuccessful. anyone know where I can get a new top deck.
It might be an idea to enlarge the top deck holes slightly by drilling/dremelling them. Hopefully that would allow the top deck to be screwed down without tweaking the chassis?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

I ran my Photon EX for the first time over the weekend at my local track, Ballymoney, here in Northern Ireland;

T.O.P. PHOTON EX-ballymoney.jpg

We run two track layouts at Ballymoney the second of which is a bit more technical so I went with that as the tighter corners would be a bit closer to indoors which is were I will mainly be racing over the next few months...

After making sure that the car tracked straight and the turning circle left and right were the same I took the EX for it’s first run and it felt really good – easy to drive and was not breaking away too much although at some of the tight turns I could get it to break away a bit by trying to go through the corner too fast. I had 1000wt oil in the rear diff – first change was to take this down to 725wt. I cannot be 100% certain that this made much of a difference (my driving is just not that good!) but the car did feel like it had a bit more rear grip. Next up was the shell and I changed from my traditional LTCR and tried a Mazda Speed 6 – this was a surprise as I have pretty much always ran an LTCR indoors and outdoors as I always feel that it makes the car feel more stable. The Mazda Speed 6, on the Photon EX, for whatever reason, made the car feel faster and the times on my lap counter were agreeing with the feeling on the track.

On to the suspension and I went to a slightly heavier spring than kit in the front up to an 18.1lb spring and this helped with the steering in the front as the car was not diving as much under braking and when slowing into the corner. My final change of the day was to lean the shocks in one more hole front and rear – all these changes over the course of the day gave me a car that felt easy to drive and I could push it without worrying that it was going to break away in the corners. I could also hold a good line coming onto the straight, which is important at our track, as it means you can hold full power for longer. I should have mentioned that I was also testing the new HPI Flux Pro speed controller and it, along with my GM 10.5 motor provided plenty of power and I have not even had a chance to play with the new settings on the speedo.

My best run of the day was 25 laps in 307 odd seconds which was only 4 seconds of my best time which I set during a previous race day using a brand new set of tyres for that run. Unfortunately I did not have a brand new set of Ride 32 tyres (control tyre at our track) to try and beat my previous best time and I ended up picking the four best tyres from three sets of well used ones in what I had left so I was pleased with my time.

A good day at the track and the TOP Photon EX definitely feels good to me… roll on the indoor season...
Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

I found the same thing recently, and I think it contributed to a major tweak I got after a mild to medium hit, while de-tweaking I filed out the top deck holes, though I think they may still need to be filed out a little more, they are a fair bit short on my kit.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Loosen all of the screws for the motor mount and see if it fixes your issue. On initial build I tightened them up and the top deck was off pretty good. After the fix the top deck slides right in place every time.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoelV
At first after reading this I thought, Right on FJ. Then you posted this...
Joel - it was good seeing you Saturday. i think you might have been jumping to conclusions here. the car that pushed off the track started with a B and ended with aM I.

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'm going to be running my latest "Jackson" setup indoors on Saturday and Sunday. I'll have two cars to test with- one with a std chassis/stiff top deck, another stiff chassis/soft top deck.
The other change will be light weight oil - 40wt all around. And.. a ball diff in rear.

Larry ran last week at Middle River and basically just changed shock oil and rear diff. On carpet we always run a ball diff, otherwise the car has an odd behavior on corner exit where u need to lift to get it to stop steering.
It was great seeing Tony and his crew from Debbies at Middle River on Saturday. I'd say the EX did better this weekend than the EX drivers . We where all knocking the rust off still. Larry, Jerry and I stayed for all day practice on Sunday. I think the car setup for carpet is moving in a good direction. The car appears to like heavier front shock oil than rear. 70/1.2/3h front and 50/1.2/3h rear was working better than 40/1.0/3h front and rear. I need to build up some other shock options to try next time.

Overall the setup didn't change much from what we showed up with. A 1mm shim change in wheelbase on Sunday allowed me to shave 0.2s off my lap times. 1mm = 0.2s! WOW. Just proves how getting all of a setup right really matters.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Shop Owner

1mm more or less?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.