Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/bmt-081...-game-chassis/

Let the killing of buggy based on-road GT begins.
If we sell our buggy based cars or put them on a shelf and stop taking them to the track, the class will die. If we prep them up and go the track and race them, the class will live. Only the racer can kill a class. Every track I go to will run who ever shows up!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazysavage
If we sell our buggy based cars or put them on a shelf and stop taking them to the track, the class will die. If we prep them up and go the track and race them, the class will live. Only the racer can kill a class. Every track I go to will run who ever shows up!
If the race organizers strictly enforce the rules regarding the buggy based on-road GTs, then there should no problem.

But if one racer showed up with belted open on-road car fitted with 1/8 GT body and tires and let them race against the buggy based on-road cars, that will start killing the buggy based on-road cars. Since some racers want to get the advantage and purchase these belted cars.

As an example last year @ SV Speedway, they started a 1/18 Team Associated RC18R class. Then one upgarded with brushless motors with lipo batteries to get the advantage. Then after that one decided to switch to more expensive M18 Pro car with brushless motor and lipo batteries to race these class to get the advantage. Since the rules is not stricly enforced this class died down. They used to race them friday night, the RC18R class already long over before the track closed down.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
That's great.... after almost 2 years since calling several manufacturers about racing these buggy based cars on America's on-road tracks to try & grow the popularity of R/C racing into a more economically mainstream direction; still nothing.

I guess the best way to kill a class, is to make sure it dies

Now I guess we'll start seeing these bad boys showing up at our tracks

Nice ride, but I bet it costs more than a new set of Webers Side-Drafts for my real BMW car

SCCA racing... here I come
Jspeed,

My take is if anyone is going to run this car, they should have bought a MRX4X/Evolva/Serpent 960 type 1/8th scale car. Seems the only difference between those 1/8th scale cars and this BMT car is that you can use the IGT-type tires on it.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 AM
afm
Tech Master

Jspeed,

My take is if anyone is going to run this car, they should have bought a MRX4X/Evolva/Serpent 960 type 1/8th scale car. Seems the only difference between those 1/8th scale cars and this BMT car is that you can use the IGT-type tires on it.
100% agree with you....Down here in Peru we started racing Rally Game class back in 1996, the class was big, until those BMT and other belt driven cars appeared + high dollar engines, etc, etc....the class died in 1998....now we are relaunching the class, but learning from our mistakes....it is called GTS (s for sport), and ONLY any buggy based shaft driven cars, ONLY rubber tires, if RTR kit, you can use original of the box engine, and if you build your car, and or replace the original RTR engine, you can use same spec engine, or any .21 buggy 3 port engine with max $200.00 MSRP......with these simple rules, the class is starting to resusitate and grow.....many off roaders are converting their buggys into GT's, and we have multibrands of Gt's......

Trust me guys, don΄t mess up the GT class, keep it simple, and with some control...if any one wants to go faster get yourself a real 1/8TH On Road car and have fun

AFM
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You guys are making a big whoo-hah about nothing. The BMT is not for sale in the states, parts are not available in the states, so who is going to order this car from Europe just to find out they might not be allowed to race the car here in the states. Ask the guys at your local track, how many can do such a thing? I don't think you will find a regular GT racer purchasing this type of car.

Lets get back to something productive for the GT class Thread and discuss topics like setups, tires, tire warmers, and more spy pictures MikaR's IGT2. How about some new video of 1/8 GT racing.....anyone....
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikaR
"spy shots" of my race-tuned GT2

Pullstart is not as racy as a starterbox, but can become handy at the track since it's a large car. Both will work here.

Alum gears make the clutchbell several grams lighter than steel gears. Not as durable though.

Alum shock bodies at rear.

Ball raced servosaver makes steering highly responsive and free

Refuel holes and the pullstart handle
that car looks awesome im truly a fan of the kyosho IGT2 and your almost there far as getting it race ready, I use the bigbore shocks and the stiff springs to keep the car from body rolling and I had to add lexan to my body to make it stiffer from alot of shaking, kyosho shouldve took there time with this car because he body and the rear wing and the paint really does suck though!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vadn1
You guys are making a big whoo-hah about nothing...........Lets get back to something productive for the GT class Thread and discuss topics like setups, tires, tire warmers, and more spy pictures MikaR's IGT2. How about some new video of 1/8 GT racing.....anyone....
I don't think anybody is making whoo-hahs, or whatever you thought.....we are just expressing our constructive opinion on something, with respect, and consideration....you are free to express yourself to.....no bad feelings

Just to close my point, following is our set of rules and regulations of our GT class, want to know your opinion.

AFM

1/8 GTS CLASS RULES AND REGULATIONS PERU 2009-2010

1. 1/8 th scale cars, derived from a Buggy platform, or models created for this class but with shaft driven transmission system ONLY.

2. Rubber tires ONLY. Foams are not allowed.

3. Two speed gearbox allowed.

4. No limits on radio and servos.

5. Brakes are free with respect to number and material, as long as they are on the transmission axle.

6. Central differential is not allowed, neither Thorsen type differentials in either axle.

7. Engines allowed

• Original equipment engines from any Ready To Run Kit up to .28ci (4.6cc).
• Any .21ci (3.5cc) 3 port Off-Road engines, with a maximum MSRP of $200.00.

8. The recoil system (pull start) is optional and may be removed.

9. Only centrifugal shoe type clutches allowed. No Centax type clutches allowed.

10. Gas tanks:
• For .28 ci engines you can use either 125 cc or 150cc. tanks.
• For .21ci engines only 125cc. tanks are allowed.

11. General dimensions:
• Max. Length with body: 730mm
• Max. width with body: 336mm
• Distance between axles: Min. 270mm / Max. 361mm
• Max width outsider of wheels: 310mm
• Max. Height of body with rear wing and side plates,
(With the suspension compressed against a flat surface): 340mm

12. Body rules:
Body must be sedan or GT style body, No Can-Am style allowed.
1. The rear of the body can be cut up to 29mm over a flat surface in which the car rests.
2. You can cut the side windows, (sedan body only the front side windows and an appropriate hole for the pull start).
4. You can cut a max. 76.00mm ventilation hole in the front windshield.
5. You can cut the rear window totally.
6. You can cut a max 20.00mm hole on the roof for the igniter.
7. No refueling hole on the roof allowed.
8. You can cut an appropriate hole for pipe stinger.
8. Rear wing must be attached to body and not to chassis.

13. Minimum weight without fuel: 3.300 Kg.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

That's great.... after almost 2 years since calling several manufacturers about racing these buggy based cars on America's on-road tracks to try & grow the popularity of R/C racing into a more economically mainstream direction; still nothing.

I guess the best way to kill a class, is to make sure it dies

Now I guess we'll start seeing these bad boys showing up at our tracks

Nice ride, but I bet it costs more than a new set of Webers Side-Drafts for my real BMW car

SCCA racing... here I come
I say let them race in the open class, the open class drivers looks for more competition and would love too be able to have more turn outs for r/c cars to race with, the GT class dont have alot of cars to race against so really the gt class should ake on all comers!!!! but it does look like a bigger 1/8th class on-road car!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with AFM. You have to keep the GT class as a "Buggy-Based" class with shaft drive only and if racers want to run the belt drive kits let them run a seperate "Rally Game" class and they can adapt the rules they use in Europe. I can tell you that those belt drive kits are way more $$$ than a buggy based kit. Some of them are over $800 US and that's for a rolling chassis kit. I'll pass thank you very much. I'm already heavily invested in running the 1/10 200mm nitro class and getting involved in the 1/8 GT class for me means saving some $$$ and sticking with a buggy-based kit.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AFM !!!

Didnt knew you were still arorund here my friend !!! very happy to "see you" !!,

Im thinking into entering on this class, GO Engines 3 port must rock on this one

cya,
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tabushi
AFM !!!

Didnt knew you were still arorund here my friend !!! very happy to "see you" !!,

Im thinking into entering on this class, GO Engines 3 port must rock on this one

cya,
Hey Pato....long time no talk.....how are you my friend....
Me, well yes, back and kiking after almost two years recovery after a brain stroke..... yerba mala nunca muere, jajajajaja

GO .21 Race 3P seems to be a good option hmmm??? haven΄t had hands on one of them engines....do you???

Cya
AFM
Old 12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vadn1
Jspeed
Just have to run these new cars in a seperate class. 1/8 GT Open Belt Drive Class.....

BTW, found the carb for you, only on e bay....

Weber 40-DCOE Side Draft Carburetor BMW
Vad,

Not that junk, I'm talking about these for "the Beamer"

Hmmmm, let see... buy an engine that costs more than the RC car or buy something for the real car

Yeah.... a true no brainer
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by afm
I don't think anybody is making whoo-hahs, or whatever you thought.....we are just expressing our constructive opinion on something, with respect, and consideration....you are free to express yourself to.....no bad feelings

Just to close my point, following is our set of rules and regulations of our GT class, want to know your opinion.

AFM

1/8 GTS CLASS RULES AND REGULATIONS PERU 2009-2010

1. 1/8 th scale cars, derived from a Buggy platform, or models created for this class but with shaft driven transmission system ONLY.

2. Rubber tires ONLY. Foams are not allowed.

3. Two speed gearbox allowed.

4. No limits on radio and servos.

5. Brakes are free with respect to number and material, as long as they are on the transmission axle.

6. Central differential is not allowed, neither Thorsen type differentials in either axle.

7. Engines allowed

• Original equipment engines from any Ready To Run Kit up to .28ci (4.6cc).
• Any .21ci (3.5cc) 3 port Off-Road engines, with a maximum MSRP of $200.00.

8. The recoil system (pull start) is optional and may be removed.

9. Only centrifugal shoe type clutches allowed. No Centax type clutches allowed.

10. Gas tanks:
• For .28 ci engines you can use either 125 cc or 150cc. tanks.
• For .21ci engines only 125cc. tanks are allowed.

11. General dimensions:
• Max. Length with body: 730mm
• Max. width with body: 336mm
• Distance between axles: Min. 270mm / Max. 361mm
• Max width outsider of wheels: 310mm
• Max. Height of body with rear wing and side plates,
(With the suspension compressed against a flat surface): 340mm

12. Body rules:
Body must be sedan or GT style body, No Can-Am style allowed.
1. The rear of the body can be cut up to 29mm over a flat surface in which the car rests.
2. You can cut the side windows, (sedan body only the front side windows and an appropriate hole for the pull start).
4. You can cut a max. 76.00mm ventilation hole in the front windshield.
5. You can cut the rear window totally.
6. You can cut a max 20.00mm hole on the roof for the igniter.
7. No refueling hole on the roof allowed.
8. You can cut an appropriate hole for pipe stinger.
8. Rear wing must be attached to body and not to chassis.

13. Minimum weight without fuel: 3.300 Kg.
Nice rules

The OS .21VG is an excellent "Spec" engine with a warranty too

The Spec class guys in Mexico have this OS engine as an option and they have the largest GT Spec class around. No problems or fighting, just good fun.

We should learn from them too
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Vad,

Not that junk, I'm talking about these for "the Beamer"

Hmmmm, let see... buy an engine that costs more than the RC car or buy something for the real car

Yeah.... a true no brainer
You can always trade in the bmw, pass on the side drafts, get yourself a 2009 Toyota Prius, then you can get yourself the motor which cost more then car kit, and still have money left in your pocket....
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice rules

The OS .21VG is an excellent "Spec" engine with a warranty too

The Spec class guys in Mexico have this OS engine as an option and they have the largest GT Spec class around. No problems or fighting, just good fun.

We should learn from them too
How does the OS .21VG compare to the .28 ofna engines, wouldn't the .21 be down on power over the entire RPM range?

It would be good if the engine MSRP would go up to $250 or $260.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.