Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake ts
Picked this up from Plan B racing for my t5m. Have one in my b5m and love it.
Planning to run a shorty in your T5m? Stock 17.5? Everyone says truck is better with weight of saddles / square.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bdyche
I spent yesterday evening and this afternoon cleaning my T5M up and getting it ready for this weekend's Northwest Indoor Series race at Tacoma RC Raceway. Today I was able to piece together a Lunsford turnbuckle kit from my LHS and my parts order arrived from Tower. Now I just have to wait patiently for my new motor to get here and it will be ready to go.

Whats the oob experience been like for you?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Whats the oob experience been like for you?
The build was every bit as good as my B5M. No missing parts, instructions were easy. Kit setup is a touch soft in the rear and needs more steering, but it is very easy to drive. I wasn't sure about using the kit slipper with a mod motor, so I used a VTS setup out of my spares bin. I like that it drives just like my X-60CF - so much so that the kit setup is identical except for rear shock oil/piston to my current setup on the X Factory. If you are running indoor with decent grip I would recommend going to a 1.6mm 2 hole piston with 30wt oil in the rear shocks. I would also recommend double checking that you use Loctite on the front axle retaining screw. I forgot on mine and it made it about 2 minutes before the LF wheel and axle assembly fell out. Also, T4 turnbuckles will not work with this kit. I tried, and while they will work for the steering and front camber links, you won't have enough adjustment in the rear if you run a setup with a shorter link.

Pros:
Aluminum ball stud mount
Lightweight top shaft
Fantastic build quality
Instructions are easy to follow
Kit setup is very drivable
Ball cups are free without any extra work
New style shock oil bottle is very good (same style as TLR)

Cons:
Steel turnbuckles (good for 1 run in stadium truck - buy Lunsford and build it with them)
Non-vented V2 slipper
No wheels in the kit (not a real big deal, but may be a surprise for some)
Not enough shims included in the kit to properly position the rear arms

Overall I would say the ball stud mount and lightened top shaft is a fair trade for not including wheels, and the quality of the plastics is infinitely better than the B4/T4 - though I think many will be a little bit disappointed at the omission of the VTS and titanium turnbuckles. I have not driven the truck in 17.5 trim (shorty pack/slipper eliminator), but with a square pack and an 8.5 it was easy to get around the track. A solid 7.5/10 to be sure.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 PM
ISH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rigor
Planning to run a shorty in your T5m? Stock 17.5? Everyone says truck is better with weight of saddles / square.
ill be running square packs in this mostly because i already have two and i also heard it will make the truck better. i will however be running 13.5
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

got mine going.

Dont have a body for it yet but heres the weight with an old rm body sitting on top of it.

Last edited by mjbtaco; 03-23-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mjbtaco
got mine going.

Dont have a body for it yet but heres the weight with an old rm body sitting on top of it.

Going three gear right from the start I see. I plan doing the same.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Going three gear right from the start I see. I plan doing the same.
yeah running stock so i figured i should lol gonna run it at ocrc this friday to see how it goes.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

yeah running stock so i figured i should lol gonna run it at ocrc this friday to see how it goes.
Hopeing to have mine built for racing on LRHs new layout. Should be smooth and very high grip.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hopeing to have mine built for racing on LRHs new layout. Should be smooth and very high grip.
Nice I'll have to go check it out one of these days. Probably on a saturday for some racing.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

With the new truck going to the 3 gear do you have to get the different top shaft like you did with the buggy? Or is all you need the case and motor plate?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
With the new truck going to the 3 gear do you have to get the different top shaft like you did with the buggy? Or is all you need the case and motor plate?
dont quote me on this but looking at the manual it looks like the new gear box uses the 5x10x4 bearings on the top shaft. so the included top shaft with the t5m should work for the 3 gear. (i put my buggy 3 gear assembly on the truck)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

dont quote me on this but looking at the manual it looks like the new gear box uses the 5x10x4 bearings on the top shaft. so the included top shaft with the t5m should work for the 3 gear. (i put my buggy 3 gear assembly on the truck)
The truck comes with the correct top shaft for 3 gear out of the box.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I is confused after seeing 4-gear and 3-gear pics. Nice clean layouts by the way. But what does the truck come with?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw copeland's post above.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

This may be a dumb question as I haven't really read every page here.. Did a simple google search and it didn't return anything useful.

Are they going to make a RM version or is this supposed to be fine on all track conditions. From what I was told at my LHS, MM sucks on our track, so this truck won't work for me ( I think).. Assuming MM trucks drive similar to the MM buggies.

I have a T4 now that I have been slowly updating, sans the BB shocks and VTS slipper. My plan was to just get the T5 when it came out, but if they aren't going to release a RM version, I'll just get the shocks and call it a day.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
This may be a dumb question as I haven't really read every page here.. Did a simple google search and it didn't return anything useful.

Are they going to make a RM version or is this supposed to be fine on all track conditions. From what I was told at my LHS, MM sucks on our track, so this truck won't work for me ( I think).. Assuming MM trucks drive similar to the MM buggies.
There is not going to be an RM version of the truck. Weight percentage is very close when comparing a RM/MM truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.