Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't know if this helps any but but my diff is running flawlessly. This is what I did and experienced: On the brand new S411TE kit I recieved about a month ago, the gear diff bag included the two main gears and the two smaller gears. I installed the large shims behind the main gears (in between the gear and the o-ring) like the instructions tell me to. The kit also came with the two small shims that would normally go behind the 2 smaller gears. (only installed two gears, not four, didn't even come with four) The revised instructions that came in the box showed the picture installing WITHOUT them. Wasn't sure about that but I did what the instructions said and my diff is very smooth and no gritty-ness whatsoever. (without even sanding anything. Everything looked perfect when I inspected it all) I guess the small shims wern't needed. Using a mix of 1000 & 2000 oil filling to the top just covering the teeth of the gear. Had the new clear looking o-ring seal. Not one drop of leak at all. Does this have anything to do with what everyone is talking about? I race 17.5 Blinkey and I use a Novak balistic with the hi-torque rotor and it is as fast and punchy out of the corners as any other car on the track so I feel the weight and performance of this gear diff is just fine. Feels the same today as when I built it a month ago.
And on a side note, before I had a Xray T3 so when the Spec-R gear diffs came out I bought one. Then right before I sold the car I got the Xray one and both leaked a little and neither felt as smooth as this new Serpent one. Just my experiences...

Last edited by Green Machine!; 10-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
will the X-ray gear diff fit
Yes it does. It is a tight fit, might need to loosen your upper bulkheads to fit better and/or trim some material from the casing if you have the time. (BTW, VBC diff is will also fit)
Driveshaft wise, Xray (50mm Alu) or VBC (only one option) rear dogbones, with Xray cross joints, and Xray or VBC blades.

Part list;

Diff - Xray #304900 or VBC D-05-VBC-0014
Driveshafts - Xray 50mm Alu #305328 or VBC D-05-VBC-0043
Coupling - Xray #305231 (need 2.. bloody xray selling parts in singles for the same price )
Blades - Xray #305241 or VBC A-03-VBC-0038

Regards
Ed
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
I don't know if this helps any but but my diff is running flawlessly. This is what I did and experienced: On the brand new S411TE kit I recieved about a month ago, the gear diff bag included the two main gears and the two smaller gears. I installed the large shims behind the main gears (in between the gear and the o-ring) like the instructions tell me to. The kit also came with the two small shims that would normally go behind the 2 smaller gears. (only installed two gears, not four, didn't even come with four) The revised instructions that came in the box showed the picture installing WITHOUT them. Wasn't sure about that but I did what the instructions said and my diff is very smooth and no gritty-ness whatsoever. (without even sanding anything. Everything looked perfect when I inspected it all) I guess the small shims wern't needed. Using a mix of 1000 & 2000 oil filling to the top just covering the teeth of the gear. Had the new clear looking o-ring seal. Not one drop of leak at all. Does this have anything to do with what everyone is talking about? I race 17.5 Blinkey and I use a Novak balistic with the hi-torque rotor and it is as fast and punchy out of the corners as any other car on the track so I feel the weight and performance of this gear diff is just fine. Feels the same today as when I built it a month ago.
And on a side note, before I had a Xray T3 so when the Spec-R gear diffs came out I bought one. Then right before I sold the car I got the Xray one and both leaked a little and neither felt as smooth as this new Serpent one. Just my experiences...
i too have never had issues with the diffs. from originals either. some times the plastics of the diff are tight on the outdrive, and you need to run the car for a few packs for it to bed in. also i tighten my diff screws as tight as i can, and still i dont have binding issues, my diffs are good.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Yes it does. It is a tight fit, might need to loosen your upper bulkheads to fit better and/or trim some material from the casing if you have the time. (BTW, VBC diff is will also fit)
Driveshaft wise, Xray (50mm Alu) or VBC (only one option) rear dogbones, with Xray cross joints, and Xray or VBC blades.

Part list;

Diff - Xray #304900 or VBC D-05-VBC-0014
Driveshafts - Xray 50mm Alu #305328 or VBC D-05-VBC-0043
Coupling - Xray #305231 (need 2.. bloody xray selling parts in singles for the same price )
Blades - Xray #305241 or VBC A-03-VBC-0038

Regards
Ed
Thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just wondering peoples personal opinions on this rig compared to Xray's T3/T4's... I assume by posting in this thread, I already know what direction it will head. I'm getting a little pissed off with xray updating their kits every year and feeling like my $500-$600 kits & spares I just bought are so obsolete w/a whole new platform out... I mean I know there's quite a few parts that are interchangeable between all the T-Series platforms but now since this T4 came out, there's even less. Of course it's going to be a pita to unload last years model for a decent price because almost everyone and their mother is gonna want the latest and greatest xray has to offer. Their all over the FS section as you can see. Cheaper everyday. sad thing is... i'm in the same boat! I'm always looking for that extra edge that a product can provide me that all the tuning/setup/track time can not compensate for... The quality of the materials, the company relations, the part support, durability and of course how the tuning capability of the car can take your driving to whole new level. XRAY is a great company don't get me wrong, they make world class kits and I pay the price for it every year...

I'm thinking about hitting up SERPENT. I personally never seen one in person. I've did some reasearch on a few forums, stared at online pics, reviewed their site over and over, read a few reviews and talked to few LHS's about them but it's time for a post to get the final & last touch of personal opinions. I want to know from drivers about their kits and how you would cpmpare them to the competition. (specificlly xray, cause thats what I drive)

Parts availability & spares won't be a problem but lack of drivers for this brand will be. The fact I won't be driving what everyone else has and not having to buy a new kit every year is why i was looking into this companies car. The Team Edition S411 seems to be the ticket. Now, I know their's xray's at your club races... how would you compare them on the track & in hand? How about the quality compared to every one else... is it a substantial difference? More wear than wanted? does this car have something the others don't? Whats your first, last and obvious impression on this rig/company.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by CNTRFLD
Just wondering peoples personal opinions on this rig compared to Xray's T3/ I pay the price for it every year...

I'm thinking about hitting up SERPENT.

Every car has major upgrades every few years like X-ray now and the T4. All the S400 users were in the same boat when the S411 came out last year. There will be a new update for this car sooner than later as most of the team drivers were testing a new split block chassis at the last ETS.

Most of us mere mortals never get the last 1/10th's out of our cars like these pro guys do.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CNTRFLD
Just wondering peoples personal opinions on this rig compared to Xray's T3/T4's... I assume by posting in this thread, I already know what direction it will head. I'm getting a little pissed off with xray updating their kits every year and feeling like my $500-$600 kits & spares I just bought are so obsolete w/a whole new platform out... I mean I know there's quite a few parts that are interchangeable between all the T-Series platforms but now since this T4 came out, there's even less. Of course it's going to be a pita to unload last years model for a decent price because almost everyone and their mother is gonna want the latest and greatest xray has to offer. Their all over the FS section as you can see. Cheaper everyday. sad thing is... i'm in the same boat! I'm always looking for that extra edge that a product can provide me that all the tuning/setup/track time can not compensate for... The quality of the materials, the company relations, the part support, durability and of course how the tuning capability of the car can take your driving to whole new level. XRAY is a great company don't get me wrong, they make world class kits and I pay the price for it every year...

I'm thinking about hitting up SERPENT. I personally never seen one in person. I've did some reasearch on a few forums, stared at online pics, reviewed their site over and over, read a few reviews and talked to few LHS's about them but it's time for a post to get the final & last touch of personal opinions. I want to know from drivers about their kits and how you would cpmpare them to the competition. (specificlly xray, cause thats what I drive)

Parts availability & spares won't be a problem but lack of drivers for this brand will be. The fact I won't be driving what everyone else has and not having to buy a new kit every year is why i was looking into this companies car. The Team Edition S411 seems to be the ticket. Now, I know their's xray's at your club races... how would you compare them on the track & in hand? How about the quality compared to every one else... is it a substantial difference? More wear than wanted? does this car have something the others don't? Whats your first, last and obvious impression on this rig/company.

The Serpent is a good car. Now I know some of my posts might not come across overly positive, but that more because I think there is lots of un-locked potential, and I'm trying to get it faster for my local track.

As for a comparison to Xray... umm, well, you'll find the 411 has a lot of steering, but isn't as stable, so does require a different driving style. Quality wise, so far I can't fault the car, having had very few breakages. Plastics quality is good (although you'll def want the optional Hard plastics), although not on par with a xray (they are the benchmark in that regard).

Personally, been very happy with my choice.
HiH
Ed
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Even though they are testing a split-block design, you'll only need to buy another lower plate and some blocks if you want it. Everything else will bolt on. Despite the car being out a little while and there being a couple versions of it, everything is still interchangeable.

The car has a lot of steering, and is pretty durable! It may be a little unstable in some conditions but I am always told how smooth the car looks on the track. It's also extremely sensitive to setup change
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree the S411 does look really smooth on the track , Im still trying to learn to be smooth with it to be consistent. What are some things I could try to stabilize the rear exiting the corners. It seems like the rear is over rotating and coming out on the straight it looks like the rear end of the car is rocking back and forth or side to side?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i have owned both a T3 and the S411. i dont want to go in to detail but i also agree driving style is important for each car. firstly, i have broken more parts on my T3 than the S411, i have run the 411 since it came out, and i ran the Xray for about 6 months. belts on the S411 last a long time, longer than the T3 by a fair amount of time, but this also depends on track conditions, and again driving style. Setup, the 411 is very responsive to change, even the smallest thing. so it is important you know your car and how it reacts to change, and the 411 really is change one thing at a time type of car. the Xray for me was unsettled entering corners, but very stable on exit. the 411 was different, very stable entering but a little nervous on exit. but the Serpent suits me better , 6 months of racing my T3, 2nd battery pack (s411) , change rear springs and 2mm longer wheelbase at the rear, and i was already 3 tenths faster than with the Xray.

breakages for the xray and 411, well both same area of the track, same sort of parts breakage, but xray had more extensive damage to bulkheads due to design differences. but i did hit the wall hard with both cars.

this is my own personal experience, and i still have my first released car kit (411), and its faster now than it was out of the box. so a little over 12 months and its still getting faster.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont race as often as majority on this board but my local track is dominated by Xrays in attendance. Last year one of our locals who runs for Serpent in 1/8 onroad and offroad ran an S411.

I liked how smooth it did look but you could see it was on the edge of unstable. He did a lot of work with it, I dont know specifics but he out a lot of time into it. The car looked more aggressive then the Xrays.

I was running an 09 T2 Rubber Spec and for a dozen or so races a season it was enough for me. I run a GT style class 17.5 locked w/blinky class.

I set the car up using one of Martin's setups from Birds. I instantly noticed the increase in steering over my T2 and the rear was all over the place.

Some good practice days and help from the locals the car has been getting better. Its definately fast and with the HPI v-pattern tires in the GT class it pushes their limit for sure.

Parts durability has been good for me, the kit plastic is working good. Little soft but for out of the box but good. I dont like the ball ends and studs they use though. I havent had one come off during a run or crash but hate popping them when adjusting. I switched them all, except my steering ones, over to the xray 5mm ends.

I liked how the kit came with a gear diff instead of having to buy it. Seems the general population is running them in the rear so I thought that was good.

Instructions I felt were ok. Not that they lacked anything in how to build but I felt they could have been a little more descriptive on somethings. I liked X-rays instructions a bit more, felt they gave you a little more info as to why they had you doing certain things.

Part fit was great, smooth not much really needing much attention to it. Personally I wish the kit had come with the single piece motor plate and the 2 piece was optional.

I like the split block option a few have posted. Im not good enough to really notice a difference like these but I know they can help so its something Im watching.

Ive only had 2 replacement things needed so far. One was a steering knuckle the upper link setcrew/ball stud stripped out. Combination of my fault, a corner and design lol. Another reason I put Xray ends on. The other was a delrin spool cup but I read others have done it so it was expected.

Over all Im very pleased with the car and hope they keep upgrading the 411 line. Sorry for the winded post but I think Im about as non bias a person can be towards one brand.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Just want to confirm, does the S411 LE (orange limited one) come with all hard plastic parts?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dameetz
Just want to confirm, does the S411 LE (orange limited one) come with all hard plastic parts?
no sir, it does not
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dameetz
As far as I'm aware, neither the LE or TE come with the Hard plastic's, and it's deffiently worth picking up the hard arms, and I would also recomend the c-hubs as well (use as a tuning option), although the rear hubs are much of a muchness, I use them just for completeness

HiH
Ed
Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info guys, so if I change all to hard plastic, what sort of changes to the car handling wise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.