Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Funny sound during acceleration

Originally posted by RC Mania
hi guys,

Need some advise. I am running a brushless motor on my EvoIII and when I accelerate it make a funny sound like the gear is not properly mesh. I check the gear tooth after running 1 pack and it looks ok.

Some ppl said that the front gear box needs to be change as the alignment of the diff is slightly out & therefore creating the sound. Moreover the front gear box has to b changed every now and then. More frequent if you always crash.

I am not very sure about this. Maybe I should try it with a brush motor. Is it due to the gearing or the brushless motor? HELP :-(

RC Mania
Another pic of my Evo3 with the Dogde Stratus 2.0.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-evo3b.jpg  
Old 10-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Is that Over The Top ??
Went to the website but not very much info available. Don't even know what thickness these are or whether they suggest using them for race purposes.
Diffuser, really glad to have you back in the Tamiya family !!! Sooo...can you spill the beans about who the other company is??
These all may be a bit of overkill but for those of us who like to do promotional activities, all that "Glam" doesn't hurt!!!
Sorry for discovering the questions so late!! I have tried to leave the thickness as stock. However, on the EVO3 Surikarn, I have opted to use 2mm for everything but the main chassis, which I left at 3mm. I found that 2mm works better on asphalt and cement tracks. For carpet you would need to stack the colored and original top chassis braces. Stacking them gives the correct amount of stiffness for carpet.

As far as them being Over The Top...I will let you guys decide that. However, I have sold more silver kits than red.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ballistic, thanks for the info. Nothing wrong with color. Should look great on one of my display cars.

Stulec.....my apologies...I was talking about the motor pinion gear and the main spur gear. Don't give up on the EVO just yet. New things are becoming available as we speak. Contact V12...he has a friend that makes a nice 1 way unit. I've heard nothing but good things about it. There is a new fix coming soon that uses the TC3 gears. Wait a bit more and info should become available. And don't forget that Tamiya may be big and a bit slow to respond....but you can bet they know of the problem and will come up with a new design OR maybe even a new car !!

RC Mania....Has anyone asked what this noise sounds like??? Can you describe it?? Does it happen when you bench test the car or only when it's on the race course??? Did you check the FRONT 1 way diff gears??? Does it make this noise if you seperate the motor from the drivetrain and spin the rear tires forward ????
Old 10-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

The noise to me sounds like it may be your diffs slipping
Old 10-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Funny sound during acceleration

Originally posted by RC Mania
Here is my Evo3 with Schulze 58Ce esc and LMT5300 brushless motor.
hpw does the Schulze 58Ce esc and LMT5300 brushless motor perform,? fast???? do youy what watt rating it has?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

It only make the sound when it is accelerating on the ground. It does sound like when the gears are not properly mesh but I check all the gears (crowns, diff, spur and pinion) after 2 packs...all seems ok. I have also set my radio to an exponential of negative 50 and I am already very light on the trottle. But it does not make the sound when it is off the ground.

Actually if it is due to the mis-meshing in any of the gears, i would have seen some wore tooth. ???

The Schulze 58Ce & LMT5300 combination can take on a 10T brush motor. I am only able to try it when going down the straight. I set the esc to Mode 6. (total 6 modes-Mode 1,3,5 = high torque, no goes up, lower rpm; Mode 2,4,6 = lower torque, no goes up, lower rpm). So I am actually using the least powerful mode. I have yet to try the other modes as I am facing this "funny sound" problem.

Some said it is due to the warp front gearbox due to crashes and therefore the front diff is not properly align. Any suggestion on this?

Is this issue common to all shaft driven cars?

Maybe i will put on my 13T mod motor to check whether it still makes the sound. Will keep u all updated.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Tires

Originally posted by savio7
Anyone know if the 30mm tires fit on the car for carpet racing. I had to use the 26mm in the rear because the 30mm rubbed. Also experience some rub in the front with the 26mm and the upper link. Any advise would help.
Use a thicker hex clamp and the 26's will fit. I use the purple HPI ones. I also run the 1mm spacers in the front and have modified the knuckles so the ball-head king pin sits flush with the C-hub.

Black-knight---Narrow tires DO NOT increase performance. If it did we would all be running set-up wheels.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Downforce
Narrow tires DO NOT increase performance. If it did we would all be running set-up wheels.
Well, this is not strictly true you know.
Try running on polished wood, or a games hall type floor.
THE BEST tyre set up there is Schumacher yellow minipin 22mm wide !! the 26mm's simply do not bite as well as there narrow counterparts.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC Mania: Have a closer look at the smaller crown gears that go onto the main drive shaft, particularly the rears. Do they look like they are spiraling towards one direction? If so that means that they gears are not properly meshing. Try using the 10mm shims on the diff gear to mesh it closer with the crown. You can also check to see if it's those gears by having a friend hold the front wheels while you hold both rear tires and try to spin them. They shouldn't budge...or the will start clicking/giving way/stripping with considerable force.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by stulec52
Downforce

Well, this is not strictly true you know.
Try running on polished wood, or a games hall type floor.
THE BEST tyre set up there is Schumacher yellow minipin 22mm wide !! the 26mm's simply do not bite as well as there narrow counterparts.
We were talking about a carpet surface.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

you simply said Narrow tyres Do Not work better,
I only wanted to make the point that in some cases they do.

Also specifically on carpet, I sometimes run a 24 mm front as I find it can lessen the twichyness a bit, only on some tracks though !!!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rtypec
Try using the 10mm shims on the diff gear to mesh it closer with the crown.

I hope this helps.
I find that if you are meticulous in the way you build the front gear assembly and you shim the one-way so it sits a little harder against the pinion gear, as rtypec said, then you will have MUCH LESS problem with the one way gear stripping.

I have done this and now my one-way holds up very well, unless I have a MAJOR Impact on the right front of the car forcing the bevel gear to move away from the pinion slightly.

The car is now a joy to drive and much less hassle...

steevo
Old 10-28-2003, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

just to the new guys. i said it before. i'll say it again. it really helps the car if you countersink the top deck holes. i had some severe tweeking issues before but now, with this small "yokomo sd" type mod it works a treat.

yeah the evo sl has issues. i sometimes wish i purchased a sd. but then i look at what you get on the surikarn, and it sort of balances out. the thicker shock towers on the sd are better than in the evo 3 in my opinion. i also have no major stripping oneway issues. i found the square boxes work really nice...and yeah i crash.

a quick question. which side of my car is heavier? the battery side or the side with the hacker motor, hacker esc and futuba s9550?
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Use a thicker hex clamp and the 26's will fit. I use the purple HPI ones. I also run the 1mm spacers in the front and have modified the knuckles so the ball-head king pin sits flush with the C-hub.
Downforce,

Will this work with the 30mm on the rear? Can you let me know what is your carpet setup?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
just to the new guys. i said it before. i'll say it again. it really helps the car if you countersink the top deck holes. i had some severe tweeking issues before but now, with this small "yokomo sd" type mod it works a treat.

yeah the evo sl has issues. i sometimes wish i purchased a sd. but then i look at what you get on the surikarn, and it sort of balances out. the thicker shock towers on the sd are better than in the evo 3 in my opinion. i also have no major stripping oneway issues. i found the square boxes work really nice...and yeah i crash.

a quick question. which side of my car is heavier? the battery side or the side with the hacker motor, hacker esc and futuba s9550?
How about using cone washers on the top deck ?? Thats what i did anyway. My EVO still far to go no time to built im too attached with my 414 at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.