Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
side-by-side racing is, and always will be, more entertaining then lapping the field for the 7th time
BINGO!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
hey....Led Zeppelin...

you keepa knockin but you cant come in
Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I know, I bought an RS off you.
I knew your userID looked familiar

So my question for you is this... do you personally feel that some of the ESC's apparently now in question should be removed?

The thing myself, along with a number of others have been trying to do, is find an accurate / valid reason to do so. Parity exists when using a HW or SP. Close racing exists. Equal performance (despite "profile "feel") exists. Will it help the class to remove them? Or just make some people feel better? It will certainly benefit Novak, but that is for another discussion. Find a "secret boost profile" for one of these ESc's, regardless of brand, and I will whole-heartedly agree.
honestly, I think the list is fine as is. the problem with allowing one a 'chance' is the backlash that will happen if/when its found to have a profound advantage over the others... look at what's been happening with the HW

If the speedo can be locked in a spec/non-timing mode only, regardless of updates, then it probably should be allowed if, and only if, its been proven to NOT provide an advantage over the existing ones.

USVTA doesn't need to turn into a 'flavor of the week' class like the other classes are. Racers, by nature, will always look for what gives them (the appearance of) that extra umph. so you will never, ever please everyone - its down to controlling the the possibilities of what's available in order to find that 'one good one'

I remember the last Scale Nationals I went too... One kid (and he was a kid), have 4 speedos on his workbench, plus the one in his car. he was trying to find the 'one' that would give him that advantage. now, personally, that's a lot of $$ to just be sitting there for a spec class, or any class for that matter. but that's what he did, and obiviously, it seemed his dad was fine with it. now would allowing a tekin or orca in the mix change anything? who knows, but it definitely would have blown up a cost control approach to the class
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fermanracer
you keepa knockin but you cant come in
Mellow.....Melllooowwww....

Well, anyways, I've thrown my .02 in enough for now. I think if we cut two of the most affordable zero-timing ESC's out of the picture in USVTA, it is a shame and a loss. Nothing improved. It won't really affect me personally as the VTA racing locally is a half Roar/ half USVTA deal anyways. But as a whole, I find it to be completely unnecessary... and a fix to a non-existent problem. And more money to spend on an "affordable" class. Time will tell....
Old 05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jorge T
FWIW I have a 25.5 D3.5 maxilla that is weak compared to my Novak Boss 25.5
Unless you modify the timing end of the motor, the 25.5 D3.5 timing is limited to 20 degrees and at that timing its a dog compared to other motors unless you run a very big pinion and a really small spur. If you modify the end bell so the timing ring can rotate to 40 degrees, it really comes to life, but that modification is most likely illegal and why I'm not using that motor.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
So I assume by now everyone can tell im pro Tekin and pretty much anti novak. But I can say that betwen Tekin, Novak, and Trinity, motors I have run, the Novak is definately the more powerfull motor. Top end is close to the same, but has a good deal more low end than the other 2. On the Novak crank the timing up and go at it. On thenother two, its takkng me some time to find that sweet spot. I dont mind the one motor rule, but even ifnit were open, I think people wouldnstill gravitate to the Novak.
We'll see about that. We are having a race this weekend with an "any 25.5 motor rule" in vta. I know of at least two other motors that will be used. So I'll see how the Novak compares with the others. My motor, at the same FDR as my Novak, has more bottom end rip and visibly more top end than my BOSS, but my BOSS motors aren't the fastest either. I may run the Boss for one of the qualifiers just to see the difference in lap times.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

I'm building the Spec-R now, and i'll weight it when I'm done - I'm willing to bet I'll have to add at least 50g to get to the legal 1550 weight... so how is lowering the weight going to benefit someone that just bought that chassis? I'm sure the 3Racing isn't too far behind the Spec-R

going to 1450 will put a lot of chassis at a disadvantage (and I'm betting most of the 'cheaper' sport edition models ...
FYI my 3Racing XI Sport came in @ 1385g RTR with everything.
Needs 165g 24 lead bricks to get 1550g
Old 05-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ESC discusions

I haven't been reading this thread lately and probably should have. But the discussions about banning the HW Just Stock ESC concerns me as that is the ESC I have. The issue is back loading unapproved software version into the ESC. True you can update the HW software just like you can update the Tekin software, which makes it easy to upload it with unapproved software versions. But in both cases its reasonably easy to verify which version of the software is loaded in the ESC. More so with the HW than a Tekin, because you have to use the handheld programming box to update the software (although TEKIIN now now has an APP to program ther ESC with an Iphone). When you plug the HW ESC into the box and turn the car on, the programming box software version and then the ESC software version are displayed and can be checked if there is any suspicion of cheating. Might take 2 minutes to complete on any suspected car or tech any car in the top 3 with a HW ESC. IMO just too easy to tech what software is in the HW Just Stock ESC to consider banned this ESC.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I haven't been reading this thread lately and probably should have. But the discussions about banning the HW Just Stock ESC concerns me as that is the ESC I have. The issue is back loading unapproved software version into the ESC. True you can update the HW software just like you can update the Tekin software, which makes it easy to upload it with unapproved software versions. But in both cases its reasonably easy to verify which version of the software is loaded in the ESC. More so with the HW than a Tekin, because you have to use the handheld programming box to update the software (although TEKIIN now now has an APP to program ther ESC with an Iphone). When you plug the HW ESC into the box and turn the car on, the programming box software version and then the ESC software version are displayed and can be checked if there is any suspicion of cheating. Might take 2 minutes to complete on any suspected car or tech any car in the top 3 with a HW ESC. IMO just too easy to tech what software is in the HW Just Stock ESC to consider banned this ESC.
FALSE !! you cant upload any software to the JUSTOCK, you are limited to only NO TIMING, same with the TEKIN SPEC which will not allow you to upload ANY software with turbo/boost.
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by moparSRT
FYI my 3Racing XI Sport came in @ 1385g RTR with everything.
Needs 165g 24 lead bricks to get 1550g
or about 4, maybe 5 .9 oz tungsten squares. which is what i'm going with.

give it a rest.... the weight for USVTA isn't changing anytime soon - there's been more then enough reasons why its not going to change, so you can give up your 1 man crusade and go run ROAR rules already

Last edited by k_bojar; 05-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Tech Champion

nevermind... old man is blind here

Last edited by k_bojar; 05-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

any you're proven this?!?!?!! I know on my HW, the only software options available to me, are the 508_nontiming versions
you just confirmed what I said, so why are you questioning it
Old 05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

you just confirmed what I said, so why are you questioning it
shit.... because i'm blind and didn't see you did say can't - missed the ' on the word

my bad
Old 05-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

or about 4, maybe 5 .9 oz tunsgen squares. which is what i'm going with.

give it a rest.... the weight for USVTA isn't changing anytime soon - there's been more then enough reasons why its not going to change, so you can give up your 1 man crusade and go run ROAR rules already
thats around $35 for tungsten weight on a $112 car, makes a lot of sense

dont care, we run 1450g in my neck of the woods
Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

thats around $35 for tungsten weight on a $112 car, makes a lot of sense

dont care, we run 1450g in my neck of the woods
not if you shop around.. seen them on ebay for less then $3 a square. I know I was pricing 10 of them (so 9oz of tungsten) and it was less then $30 shipped to me - which is more then enough for 2 cars

before its asked, here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/181357188011...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.