Community
Wiki Posts
Search

protecting a new body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

thanks, ya i agree cameras dont do justice to the real life.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gump
I find that the shoe goo attacks certain paints easily and others not so much. for example pactra flourescent green gets lifted easily and pactra silver not so much.
I've found that for the best possible results with shoe goo and fiberglass CLOTH (not the tape), make the patch as small as you can to cover the area - maybe 1/2 inch on either side of the crack and 1/2 inch past the end. its more than enough and its super strong when finished. The smaller the patch ( I find) the less likely it is to lift the paint and fail.
I've reinforced an entire body in the past and it lifted the paint in very large sections - bad news!
If you're protecting the paint only, use other products designed for paint protection ( i think losi and kyosho make something specific). Shoegoo and fiberglass cloth is for crack reinforcement only.
...I honestly didn't know that ShooGoo peeled some paint..now I'm all sketched out about using it LOL Will it lift the paint off if the paint has been covered with a couple heavy layers of Faskoat ?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
fiber tape??? got a link?
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-rein...863-LD3XHFH5RD
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never had a problem with shoe goo. I just cut an old screen (from a screen door) place it around the inside of the body and cover it entirely with the goo and still going on 2nd season with same body.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
...I honestly didn't know that ShooGoo peeled some paint..now I'm all sketched out about using it LOL Will it lift the paint off if the paint has been covered with a couple heavy layers of Faskoat ?

Silicone Nid.....Screw the Shoe Goo.
Not once has the silicone affected the paint and worst case scenario the silicone can be peeled off if applied in thin layer's....if the edge looses bond just tear it off and smear a new edge on.

Patch from Home Depot

Old 12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
Silicone Nid.....Screw the Shoe Goo.
Not once has the silicone affected the paint and worst case scenario the silicone can be peeled off if applied in thin layer's....if the edge looses bond just tear it off and smear a new edge on.

Patch from Home Depot

...well sum-uva-beech, that looks like it works great Nick, and is this also good for repairing cracks and tears too ? GREAT idea buddy
Old 12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

..but the absolute best way to save your body is by staying on your wheels ( something I'm still working on )
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

www.eternabond.com
Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
..but the absolute best way to save your body is by staying on your wheels ( something I'm still working on )

Soo very true..

as for the cracks n what not...yes it will....Pete's BN body actually failed at your race back in the summer and went 1/4 up the front end on 1 side and i slapped it back together with 2 layer's of tape with silicone in between and ive tugged on it pretty good and it feels solid as new.

I use it mostly around the body hole's...i dont bust up the fender's n what not anymore.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

last night i did a test on a scrap peice of laxan off my body with paint on it. i did a patch with shoe goo and the permatex silicone. i twisted them pritty good and the shoe goo did pull off some paint and the sillicone gave before the paint did. So i went with the silicone.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

last night i did a test on a scrap peice of laxan off my body with paint on it. i did a patch with shoe goo and the permatex silicone. i twisted them pritty good and the shoe goo did pull off some paint and the sillicone gave before the paint did. So i went with the silicone.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

I use pieces of the cut off lexan and shoe-goo them onto all the points that are known to crack. Kind of doubles up the thickness at all the weak points.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

I just use gaffers tape. I found it years ago doing live stage productions and always keep it on hand now. It is great stuff and you will find many uses. I don't even buy duct tape anymore.

It does not dry up and rot away like duct tape. It does not leave the adhesive behind. It is great for labeling and writing on. Holds up well against weather.

After paint cures I tape the entire inside of the body and have had great results and even have people asking... Hey do you have some of that tape

I buy it locally at music/stage supply store.
here is a link so you can see what it is.
http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/i...59519c62b5b7ab
Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by scwrod
I just use gaffers tape. I found it years ago doing live stage productions and always keep it on hand now. It is great stuff and you will find many uses. I don't even buy duct tape anymore.

It does not dry up and rot away like duct tape. It does not leave the adhesive behind. It is great for labeling and writing on. Holds up well against weather.

After paint cures I tape the entire inside of the body and have had great results and even have people asking... Hey do you have some of that tape

I buy it locally at music/stage supply store.
here is a link so you can see what it is.
http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/i...59519c62b5b7ab

interesting....what's the weight difference with and w/o tape for a 1/8 truggy or buggy body?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Good stuff! I have a great deal of faith in Nick's advice I'm going to start using silicone too because I went and looked at my old bodies, and sure enough, the paint is bubbled where there was Shoo-Goo! Thank goodness for threads like this one!

..I LOVE learning new things!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.