Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamite LI-po GLOW ignitor: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

See "keep them in lipo bags". I totally agree. They're dangerous and need to be handled with care for sure. These lipo bags seriously cut down the danger factor. I've seen a lipo go up in a bag and they completely contain the explosion/fire. They're obviously still dangerous, but much less so. Whenever my batteries aren't being used, they're in the bags. If they're being used at least the only thing they can burn down is your RC car. Not really that disastrous in the scheme of things.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Whenever my batteries aren't being used, they're in the bags.
That is the key right there. When I was using lipos in the helis they didn't have the bags yeat, We used steal boxes, ovens what ever to keep thhem safe lol. Lipos have come a long way but still have some growing to do. By the time they are safe as any other battery there will be a new and better battery out with its on pros and cons Remember the days when a 5000 nicad sub c cell was a kick as battery
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Storydude1
Guess Hyundai is begging for trouble?
Do you have to park it in a Lipo safe bag?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
That is the key right there. When I was using lipos in the helis they didn't have the bags yeat, We used steal boxes, ovens what ever to keep thhem safe lol. Lipos have come a long way but still have some growing to do. By the time they are safe as any other battery there will be a new and better battery out with its on pros and cons Remember the days when a 5000 nicad sub c cell was a kick as battery
Yep typical cycle of development. Once one technology is perfected a new one shows up to replace it. I think the key to Lipo's is using quality batteries and being very careful with them. Even then there is a change of failure, but much more if you're careless with them.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of the racers here did the calculation and once you do the initial charge it should last close to a year before recharge. Based on racing 2 to 3 times per week. Have two months so far, gonna see how long it goes. Ha!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Do you have to park it in a Lipo safe bag?
I know... he said that SO confident, like Toyota isn't in a rut right now cause of defective equipment.. I foresee Sonita's on youtube in flames.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

my mcdaniel glow ignitors (that use a Nicad btw!) last weeks on a charge, and always succeed in firing up a glow plug. these lipo ignitors seem to be an answer to a non-problem.

all for the fad of lipo I guess.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
If the charger is set right and you don't over-discharge your lipo's, they are harmless. Use a cut-off and you are all clear!
I have almost totally switched to lipo - I only need a lipo glow-starter.
I have switched to 90% lipo if i get the glow ignitor it will be 100% i run HT battery stuff and have never had a problem there chargers are set and forget it ...The only stuff i hear popping in the pit are anything but li-pos
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have been using the Lipo Ignitor for over a month now. I love it, and will keep using it. Do lipos have a down side, of course. But your NIMH are more dangerous. Ever sat next to open of those when a cell blows????? I saw a 4600 cell go once at an indoor track that banned lipos a couple years ago. The cell destroyed the pack, and the car it was sitting next to. XXX-cr toast because when the cell blew, it was like a 1/4 stick of TNT. So, i will just make sure i treat my Lipos right and not worry about having a hump pack blow up in my radio tray mid race.

Also, i dont have to worry about memory losing capacity, and i dont have to worry about cycling my ignitor, and receiver packs once a week when i am not racing.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Charge issue

A friend of mine recenty purchased one of these ignitors and used his readular lipo charger to charge it in stead of the included charger. His charger ended up timing out and when he tried to use it.....it did not work

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8

Actually I remember when 1500mah nicads were kick ass batteries........

The reason Chevy didnt introduce the electric car for so long and the reason it will have NIHMs is what they called "thermal events"....

I am just getting back into this hobby and cant decide where I will come down on this. LIPO is tempting but perhaps I will keep them in a fire proof safe and be done with it.,

FYI a cell phone is a bad comparison to a RC. The amperage draw rates are not even comparable. A cell phone lasts for hours if not days on a single charge. An RC not so much.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Bottom line, the igniter works. The "included" charger does a good job of charging rather quickly. The igniter has a built in circuit to lower the voltage to a safe level for glo plugs. You can charge it and leave it for extended periods and its still ready to go, no self discharge. Even with 5 people using it for practice and race it did not discharge. Got one of the first units shipped and it has been used a lot.

Negatives: only comes in one length.

It locks on the glo plug but this can be defeated by putting 2 zip ties between the release and the body similar to what you can do with a nicad version.