Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
TC4 HD bones work the best.... I'm having several packs re-anodized to purple.
Are you going to offering any for sale?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone have ball studs for the steering knuckles and steering bushings I can buy? My hobby shop has NOTHING (not even 64 pitch gears) for touring cars, and it will take them forever to send out the order, process it, and get the parts sent back- definately not by this weekend. Any help? Thanks.
-Josh
Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
Are you going to offering any for sale?
there's a guy on the boards that is doing the anodizing...he's got is own thread started...
Old 10-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
they could have called the Pro5...
cyclone has loads of steering...excellent corner speed but you can't beet the acceleration of a shaft driven Pro4.
cyclone easier to tune and build. easy access to diffs.
HPI/HB as always did a great job on it.
Don't think I can add anything else to that, after racing my Cyclone last night it had a lot more corner speed than the Pro 4 and was also a lot smoother and nicer to drive.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default MIP CVD's

I purchased my Pro 4 used. After reading here how so many people end up with bent front CVD's, I looked at the 6 "extra" HPI CVD's provided with my chassis. Sure enough, they're all bent. My chassis currently has MIP Shiny CVD's up front. Guess what? One of them is bent! Looks like I'll be buying some TC4 MIP CVD's and some EZ-Off Oven Cleaner.

What is it that's bending these CVD's guys? Crashes?

My largest client, and best friend, runs a machine shop that specializes in titanium products. I'll see if he can cut me a few dozen of these things, if anyone is interested. His lathes would spit these things out in no time using scrap material he has laying around.

Also, I have my almost completely assembled. I need new wheels and tires for carpet racing. Could you guys let me know which brands, sizes, and shore ratings you recommend?

Thanks,

CPatrick
Old 10-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd be interested in some Ti CVD's. What grade ti?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What kind of prices are we looking at? I run TC3 composite CVD's in the rear, and I have the blue (disgusting!) TC3 bones in front. They lasted for quite a while, but one is bent now. I never have liked HPI bones, so your titanium ones sound very inticing!
-Josh
Old 10-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

alright guys heres the ticket on durability of cvd bones from my own personal testing in the front with a oneway

softest:
composite
hpi alum
tc3 shiny
tc4 alum
:hardest

as ramon has previously stated even shiny tc3 bones will bend. this is because the bone necks down to a small diameter right by the ball at the end. it will bend at this spot.

the tc4 alum bone is ginormous compared to all the other avail bones. except the composites, its roughly the same size as the composites just alum. it is by FAR the most durable. running anything else is asking for bendage.

at least in the front. in the rear composites work fine.

i have no experience with the ti cvd's because of the fact that you cant use reg steel axles with them as mentioned above

tc4 blue alum dogbones retail for 21.99 per 2pack (the most expensive of everything i listed above
Old 10-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CPatrick

My largest client, and best friend, runs a machine shop that specializes in titanium products. I'll see if he can cut me a few dozen of these things, if anyone is interested. His lathes would spit these things out in no time using scrap material he has laying around.
def let me know, i'd be very interested

and the cvd's bend from impacts. apparently there is enuf give/travel in the suspension to load the bones enuf to bend. only 1 of my idk 12 bent bones happened when i broke suspension parts. every other time the suspension was perfectly fine just a bent bone.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

me to me to I want some please please let me know how much and when I can get some?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Currently I'm running a front spool with the aluminum HPI CVD's and I have not broken or bent anything. My secret? I've learned to get off the throttle when I touch something. I haven't gone through a gear or a CVD in months.

Even the strongest stuff will break in the right crash with a one-way or spool, its getting off the throttle the second you hit that makes the most difference IMO.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Or...... just don't hit anything!? At my age though, that's not an option.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Desolas
Currently I'm running a front spool with the aluminum HPI CVD's and I have not broken or bent anything. My secret? I've learned to get off the throttle when I touch something. I haven't gone through a gear or a CVD in months.

Even the strongest stuff will break in the right crash with a one-way or spool, its getting off the throttle the second you hit that makes the most difference IMO.
are you running with boards for lanes?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ti CVD's

I'll find out what grade of titanium I can get my hands on and get back to you. I'm sure it's tough stuff. Floodo1's post, though, has me wondering if a supper strong CVD is a good idea. Strengthening one part of the drivetrain will expose another part of it as the weakest link. What will become the new fail point, and is it expendible?

I still think this would be a worth while experiment, so I'll talk to my friend and his engineers tomorrow.

CPatrick
Old 10-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

how much are HPI Pro 4rear alloy hubs worth in australian dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.