Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Btw - Awesome posts Brent.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If there was going to be a middle 12th class it should be 10.5. We have a few running it at 5280 and lap times are right at the middle between 17.5 and mod.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

This has been stated before, but a decent percentage of people avoid 1/12 completely due to the need for all the 1/12 specific components (1s batteries, 1s speed controls, mini/micro servo's).

To help 1/12 mod, those in charge should consider opening up the rules to allow racers to use either 1s or 2s batteries. This will make it easier for guys from other disciplines, like off-road, to give 1/12 a try.

I also agree that 13.5 is too close to 17.5. So instead of 13.5 how about open motor & blinky esc. Again as stated above allow the choice of a 1s or a 2s battery.

Just for another perspective, I've raced H.O. scale slot cars for 20+ years and have seen all sorts of different classes proposed with spec motors. Each one was supposed to be the new savior of the sport, but every single one of these became a motor war, and other than their 17.5 equivalent they all either disappeared or went back to open motor.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Kave - I think you can ask all of my sponsors that I complained about it relentlessly. I did not want to run it at all but these were the people paying my way since I could not afford to due to all the doctor bills with both of my parents having cancer and losing my father. I reluctantly raced it at the time it was requested of me due to the stock motor wars. Did I think it was wrong? Yup, 100%. Was I willing to do as they asked being grateful they stopped me from throwing all my racing gear away and quitting RC all together, yes.

After this year's Snowbirds I let all my sponsors know that they could drop me and I'll find another ride or buy my stuff because I would never race in the stock classes again. I wanted to return my focus to modified and run 13.5 at times for the extra track time. I am also finished with WGT and any other class that isn't 13.5 or faster.

You are right though, I had an amazing year winning all those spec races. At that point (I'm sure I'll take more crap for this one) are the stock/highly sponsored racers the best and more valuable to a company in the industry as Syndrome stated? I think that's been answered by myself plus Paul and Donny at the stock wars races.

I also wanted to be there with enough time not being stressed out so I can stop and help ANYONE who comes to me with a question, problem or just to watch my team mates race so I can offer support. Or if I'm running really good, let my team mates (or others) drive my cars so they learn/understand how I drive - Sound familiar Syndrome?? Oh and Syndrome - My Ko radio was a stock one... Nothing special... Always an excuse with you man...
Respectable, btw I was not ragging on you for running stock in any way. Stock sells!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
with both of my parents having cancer and losing my father.Donny at the stock wars races.
Josh Cyrul, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a close family member who just came home with hospice three days ago from cancer. Cancer
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

The good thing about this thread is it is obvious that many racers do care about carpet racing at its highest level. Unfortunately the manufacturers do not see the value of competing at that level. Open mod needs companies with some skin in the game to field the best drivers they can get to make it competitive at the national and world levels. Most are not willing to do so and seem willing to let it die at least in the US.

To say that ROAR has been less than proactive would be a huge understatement. They are more worried about catching cheaters than being a key part of promoting the sport let alone competitive excellence in North America.

So where do does this leave us? We are at ground zero and starting over. If that means we have to run a faster spec class to get more people moving up then so be it. At least we are doing something and initial response is positive. I predict surprising results at the HC. I think It may make sense to run 17.5 and 6.5 at smaller events and 17.5, 10.5 and open at national events.

Race promoters should not allow mod drivers in stock. This is more a matter of fairness than anything. Someone running 5 classes will have a huge track time advantage over someone running 2 classes. Throw in better equipment they get for free and a couple decades of top level racing experience and you may see why people stop competing. They have no chance. I personally think no race should allow more than 3 classes per racer....EVER. Limiting tracktime is the best way to level the playing field.

As far as why people stay in stock class. When you never have the opportunity to run mod why would you spend the money to run mod at a big race? My sponsors arent asking me to. I can assure you FEAR isnt part of the equation.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Forget ROAR. ROAR has been beaten to death by racers that would rather complain than help the hobby.

Changing 12th scale to accept electronics designed for other classes will only increase the cost of 12th scale.

The health of the hobby would increase dramatically if companies would stop sponsoring racers and start sponsoring races.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The health of the hobby would increase dramatically if companies would stop sponsoring racers and start sponsoring races.
We've had incredible support from manufacturers wanting to sponsor our race. I can find things to complain about in RC from now until the end of time, but manufacturer support for our big race wouldn't be on that list.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's disappointing to see that the 1/12 WC this year is likely going to be decided by tires again. Is that a part of 1/12 racing that needs to be preserved? Having all these companies waste time and money only to be beat by tires they can't get? You've gotta think they're going to lose interest and pull support at some point.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It's disappointing to see that the 1/12 WC this year is likely going to be decided by tires again. Is that a part of 1/12 racing that needs to be preserved? Having all these companies waste time and money only to be beat by tires they can't get? You've gotta think they're going to lose interest and pull support at some point.
Good point syndrome

Spec tires are starting in 17.5 1/12..
Let's see how well that works..
Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Tech Initiate

They already have in the US. Name a company that sent one US driver to all 3 big US carpet races last year to compete in mod 1/12th. I dont think you can unless you count Hebert.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Looking at the entries there is one US citizen competing at the Worlds. Disgraceful! If it was an Olympic sport it wouldnt be that way.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbailes
Looking at the entries there is one US citizen competing at the Worlds. Disgraceful! If it was an Olympic sport it wouldnt be that way.
Miss the days when we got to watch these guys battle: Cyrul, Baker, Orr, Lufaso, Doseck, Tossolini, Hodge, Dumas, Burch, Lemieux, Kinwald, and so many more...
Old 08-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Our series uses spec tire for 1/12 stock. We also run stock as 13.5t blinky instead of 17.5t. Personally I think it works great, spec tire helps with cost control.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

It's interesting to me that everyone jumps to the conclusion that it's tyres that are the reason naoto is fast. I thought the bomber tyres were fairly well available in Japan?? It's clear that the wheel is the same that yokomo / Marc are running.

I guess naoto has been a really lucky guy, being able to get special tyres from different places while racing for different teams!!

Every time you mention control tyres in 12th, at least in the uk, there doesn't seem to be the appetite for it. To me it would be a step forward, but it's never happened. I'm sure it's been in the ifmar rules before but hasn't ever happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.