Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
old gears had a thin back plate...thus resulting in gear strippage.
new gears are thicker and the one-way gear has an aluminum back plate to go with it... if you do not have them..contact HPI customer service and tell them you have an old kit with older gears...and they will send you out the new gears and backplate for free... if you're lucky..sometime they will send you some extra HPI / Pro4 decals as well....
They won't do it any more! I just called to see If they would replace mine and they told me They were out of stock
And didn't do that any more...
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Axel....

does the BMI come in titanium color? Also does it come with Shock towers?

Thanks.

By the way sweet car!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
old gears had a thin back plate...thus resulting in gear strippage.
new gears are thicker and the one-way gear has an aluminum back plate to go with it... if you do not have them..contact HPI customer service and tell them you have an old kit with older gears...and they will send you out the new gears and backplate for free... if you're lucky..sometime they will send you some extra HPI / Pro4 decals as well....

That's why it's best not to post it over the web. If only a few call then they are more likely to do it. Just PM people from here on out. Special people like me.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sorry for the dumb question, but...

can you get away with using AE diffs and idle gears? Had to ask. I think AE's diff material has to be the best out there. Also, Frank said sometime back that HPI was going to change the mold by adding material to the steering knuckle so the servo could not throw all the way. Has HPI done this yet?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCknight
does the BMI come in titanium color? Also does it come with Shock towers?

Thanks.

By the way sweet car!
Thanks! Yeah i believe there is a titanium color, look at the last page of the BMI thread there is a pic of one. And yes all BMI sets come with shock towers.

Hope this helps

Last edited by axel; 06-07-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

For asphalt what will taking all of the rear pivot block spacers do? is it better for bumpier tracks?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Also, Frank said sometime back that HPI was going to change the mold by adding material to the steering knuckle so the servo could not throw all the way. Has HPI done this yet?
yes, this has been done on my japanese '05

also the c-hub moldings have been changed, no more steering knuckle binding
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

i've just finished building my '05 edition, overall it went together ok but I had a few issues...

the bad:
- the new aluminium servo mount/transponder holder wasnt designed with the futaba s9550 in mind, I had to dremel out a fair bit of metal for the servo wire connection.
- no more out of the box free drivetrain, it's taken me about 45 mins with the dremel to get something thats even remotely free....
- the new aluminium bevel/input shafts are noisy! and its quite hard to get a loose mesh for a free drivetrain
- the bearings seem to be oiled a lot more heabily than I remember my other 2 pro4 kits, and one of the steering knuckle bearings is very notchy... I'll have to give them a flush out and re-oil them to see if that helps with the drivetrain

the good:
- not having to do the upper deck mod is sweet
- the new shocks are awesome, very smooth, and easy to build, on the first attempt all 4 shocks had identical rebound. the only issue is there is no oil drain hole like in the older ones, which i found quite useful
- the box setup is vastly different to the older version, it will be interesting to see how it goes out of the box
Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

domo

can you post the new box set-up?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, could someone please help me out with the ackerman positions on the carbon plate??
I know that the effects of each hole on the handling have been posted before but there are alot of pages and the search function is not helping me out at all. Thanks for you help. Jonathan
Old 06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

domo, what part of the gearboxes did you dremel?

The bearings have grease in them, soak them in turps overnight to flush out the grease, then put a couple of drops of light oil in them.

Providing the gearmesh is set correctly the gears won't be that noisy when you actually run the car on the track.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

I'm going yo buy AE gears for my next race...i'll tell you guys how it compares.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have run the AE gears in my pro 4 and havnt had any problems with them, and they seem to me a little stronger than the HPI ones. I run open mod and the hpi ones dont last all that long with a spool on a tight track.
At least not for me
Old 06-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

how about the input shaft gears?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
domo, what part of the gearboxes did you dremel?

The bearings have grease in them, soak them in turps overnight to flush out the grease, then put a couple of drops of light oil in them.

Providing the gearmesh is set correctly the gears won't be that noisy when you actually run the car on the track.
the inside of the gearboxes were binding on the bevel gear, not sure if the moulds have changed or the delrin outdrives caused this...

are you refering to the one piece input shaft/gear? if so, i cant see it being quiet on the track, its bloody loud, ive been running it in with an old motor at 3v hoping it would quiet down, but the note hasnt changed even after 20mins and the drivetrain still isnt very free, at this stage im thinking about going back to the old input shaft and gears...

if youre refering to the old gears, yes both my other cars are near silent on the track, and on the bench...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.