Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where do you lack skill, in the RC world. >

Where do you lack skill, in the RC world.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do you lack skill, in the RC world.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn
RC 1/10 1/8 scale off road nitro.

Welp after club racing on and off for about 10 or 11 years and just getting into the whole internet forum thing, i thought it would be cool to start a thread based on where do you lack the skill in RC nitro offroad car/trucks, and for all of you "know it all's" this will be a good thread to help out. Ill give you two examples.....

to this day with my RC8

I lack in The brake setup for different tracks.

I lack in tightening screws!!! i tighten screws into plastic to much and not enough on metal, plastic strips and metal vibrates out loosing screws!

I lack in the shock department, (and ive seen all the videos on HOW TO) yet i still have leaky shocks and after a few races get air in them too!

Now to help me out would you say that the screw in plastic doesnt need to be super tight because the plastic naturally keeps it from vibrating out? And the metal, use blue thread lock on all metal to metal?

And the shocks - Is it just team associated shocks that leak and get air bubbles? So should i just buy a whole new brand, or is there an expert trick out there?

These are things i still struggle with to this day, if i could just nail these things down it would really help out.

If you are lacking in a department post it here. See it someone can help.

PS, im sure there are threads with tips and tricks but if your like me and dont want to read 4,000 pages to find the one thing you need, post it here.
RC8 BB Shocks have no leakage from my experience. Even the AE 1/10 stuff have never leaked unless I did something wrong. I realise others have had different experience. Doing this over 20 yrs now.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too have not had one single issue with AE big bores, no leakage and work fantastic.
As for brakes I think thats a difficult art but if you work at it you can get it, and the AE brakes work well.
Stripping plastic threads is something that happens from time to time, just have to learn how tight you can go.
On metal theads blue Locktite is the ticket but to be honest I dont use it that much and lost only two screws last year.

My weak point is driving consistantly!!!!

Last edited by dragracechief; 03-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

I'd have to say the places I lack the most are

1. Engine tuning. I usually am close on my tune, but don't have the ear to get it right on the money.

2. Using my brakes to get the most out of my car. I never have put a lot into my brake set-ups to really be able to attack the corners. I usually end up driving easy into the corner and get better drive off. So it probably isn't a bad thing. But I could definitely gain some speed there.

My strongest point is probably being able to stay calm once the tone rings. If I get caught up in the crap, I tend to keep my focus on the track and make up time. I know a lot of ppl who get hacked, get behind, than try to make up that time in every corner and just make it worse.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up SHOCKS

idea that i came up with and still use

White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak

empty out all the oil out of the shock
dump in a old oil bottle and reuse . if it is durty let it sit for a few weeks and it will separate and you can save the good.

add in the White Shepherd stroke the shocks a few times let sit for 10min dump and clean

refill and you should not leak
Old 03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

what I lack most now is the patience to change my set up and do regular maintenance and cleaning on my stuff. I'm old now so all I want to do is drop my junk on the track and race it.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

I have gotten really good at setup. My cars always handle pretty well. My week points are eye sight as I am almost blind in one eye. Other is 20/25, so I can see but not that great at depth perception. I do better on smaller tracks. Also, not aggressive enouph at races where I don't know the other drivers. I can push it with friends and people at club races, but let it get to me in big races.

other week point is trying to get new stuff without my wife knowing how much it really cost....damn online banking... Me being in trouble is only one click away.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

My weak point is definitely setup. For some reason i dont think little minute changes make much of a difference since i can usually get what im driving to do what i want just by changing my driving style.

I also have a problem not driving aggressively around others im not used to driving with. At my club its on like donkey kong, but i go to a foreign track and i just dont wanna break anyone else stuff, so i cant drive to my fullest.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

My first weak point is lap consistancey.

My second Is your only changing one thing at a time for setups. I always have so many things I want to try I can't pick which one

My third is ditching clutch bearings. For some resion I feel it's horrible to trow them away. So I have a stock pile of worn out clutch bearings.

Last edited by rider313; 03-19-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Engine tuning... getting there. It's such an art, experience is everything.

I can hit fast laps... I can't hit fast laps for 30-45 minutes. I qualify into the A-main, but I struggle with pounding out the consistent times in the A-Main.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Running with Dave Henry and Stilly helps with that Semple. Saw Dave this past week.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

I forgot about tires. I can't glue a decent set of tires without fighting for hours. Most of the time it is way out of balance or they come unglued at some point during he race day. Can't seem to do it right unless I glue atleast 3 fingures together. And nothing sucks more than realizeing you glued your new directional tire on facing the wrong way.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn
WOW!! GREAT!!! So threadlock on all metal- CHECK,

Can you recommend a great shock brand for my RC8, i think im done with AE's shocks.

And maybe to help you, the night before a race i take Focus Factor vitamins!
that may help with your motivation....

Thanks again
Kyosho's are sweet..
Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

i struggle with finding a good set up everytime. mostly if traction is low. i seem to always forget about the clutch. i bet if i had stoffened up the clutch my issues may have gone away or atleast improved.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

best advise I can give on setup, use a station. I use it at home, but don't bother bringing it to the track. I check everything before I go to race and when I come home. At track, I use rpm gages and calipers. Find a netural setup that works on the tracks you run. The only changes I really make now are tire, ride height, and droop at the track unless I am chaseing a major issue which may involve a roll center change. Lastly, keep a jurnal. If it is set up sheets, that's fine. I just write up track conditions, tire choice that works, and any changes I made. This way, I know a base when I return to the track. I keep a couple spare diffs already bilt with different weights as well, just incase. With ebay, it doesn't cost alot to build up a few diffs.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morkendi
best advise I can give on setup, use a station. I use it at home, but don't bother bringing it to the track. I check everything before I go to race and when I come home. At track, I use rpm gages and calipers. Find a netural setup that works on the tracks you run. The only changes I really make now are tire, ride height, and droop at the track unless I am chaseing a major issue which may involve a roll center change. Lastly, keep a jurnal. If it is set up sheets, that's fine. I just write up track conditions, tire choice that works, and any changes I made. This way, I know a base when I return to the track. I keep a couple spare diffs already bilt with different weights as well, just incase. With ebay, it doesn't cost alot to build up a few diffs.
Wow a journal is a good idea i never thought of!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.