Wiki Posts
Search

Flame Out after refueling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
very true!!!!! also alot of guys seem to want to give throttle when on lid waiting for marshall to flip back over, same thing happens here, stay off throttle and will stay running (if clunk is working right) as soon as you give a crap ton of throttle it is bound to suck air, less throttle the better
Well part of that comes from people trying to get the attention of a marshal by using their "nitro horn". Which I'll admit is necessary sometimes. Not that its good for your engine anyway. I'll say if a marshal is on their way to your car, and you're engine is tuned properly, you shouldn't need any throttle.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc5 man
what about a dirty clogged filter i know that will cause a flameout .
You mean air filter or fuel filter? Air filter... you should be changing it well before that happens. Fuel filter... Throw it in the garbage where it belongs.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

normally if yor running fine before refuel a dirty airfilter-clunk is fine, its just the pressure when fuel tank is open that is effecting you, (sucking air for breif moment is all it takes)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

something else to keep in mind..... if your pit guy fills your tank to the very top, when he snaps the lid back down, it can actually "push" fuel thru your line, and flood your carb, causing a flameout... This explains flameouts that occur before you leave pit lane, however, if your car dies by the time you reach the end of pit lane, or shortly thereafter, it is due to reving while the lid is open....
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Well part of that comes from people trying to get the attention of a marshal by using their "nitro horn". Which I'll admit is necessary sometimes. Not that its good for your engine anyway. I'll say if a marshal is on their way to your car, and you're engine is tuned properly, you shouldn't need any throttle.
this was a help question, not everybody knows that. just trying to give optional reasons this might happen
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Prophet

You mean air filter or fuel filter? Air filter... you should be changing it well before that happens. Fuel filter... Throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

a air filter , which im learning now not to oil the outside of the outerfilter just the inside or have it dry.

not during my pit stop, did it flame out just all the sudden on the track im talking about.

yea i dont use fuel filters lol.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Greenlee37
something else to keep in mind..... if your pit guy fills your tank to the very top, when he snaps the lid back down, it can actually "push" fuel thru your line, and flood your carb, causing a flameout... This explains flameouts that occur before you leave pit lane, however, if your car dies by the time you reach the end of pit lane, or shortly thereafter, it is due to reving while the lid is open....
good point also, nitro is tricky, but when you get the hang of it, ITS ALL GOOD........well, i wont give my opion on electric.....LMAO!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

a air filter , which im learning now not to oil the outside of the outerfilter just the inside or have it dry.

not during my pit stop, did it flame out just all the sudden on the track im talking about.

yea i dont use fuel filters lol.
I just use losi or Lucky 7 filters oiled how they come and keep them fresh. Always change them before the main unless the one that is on the car looks basically new. If it is a long main I ALWAYS put a fresh one on.

I would think a filter would have to be pretty clogged to cause a random flame out. It will mess with your tune and rob power before it causes the engine to flame. I would look for another cause if it was out of nowhere that it flamed.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

shaking is for creating alittle more oxygen in the fuel. its also a good way of tuning
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by mtbkym01
Can someone explain the principles of why an engine can flame-out after a refueling stop? I've heard it's to do with cold fuel reaching the carb.
The usual culprit is being too rich on the bottom end.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Prophet

I just use losi or Lucky 7 filters oiled how they come and keep them fresh. Always change them before the main unless the one that is on the car looks basically new. If it is a long main I ALWAYS put a fresh one on.

I would think a filter would have to be pretty clogged to cause a random flame out. It will mess with your tune and rob power before it causes the engine to flame. I would look for another cause if it was out of nowhere that it flamed.

i changed the outer filter after every round, there losi ones and i took some of the oil off it . well when i took my truck off the track when it flamed out the outfilter had gunk , all over it so my guess whould be it was clogged.

yea il look at my tuning, i think it was because my low end was kind of rich and my main needle needed to be leaned out a bit more. theres a small opening on the idle.

when i took it off the track, it was already cooling down it was about 215 so my guess it was running at 225 or cooleron the track but there was smoke coming out of the pipe .
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

that causes a richer mixture

overly rich low speed needle = improper tune
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by houston
that causes a richer mixture

overly rich low speed needle = improper tune

right i could tell too, when i hit the throttle it was sluggish all the sudden.

it was running fine intill, the outer air filter got cogged .

before the air filter, got dirty like that it wasnt that rich.

like i said i been told, to only oil the inside of the outerfilter.

the outside of the outer filter, was pretty dirty and the inside of the outerfilter was clean.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
The usual culprit is being too rich on the bottom end.
Why then does it only flame out after refuelling, I've even seen it happen to pro's, and i'm thinking there tune is pretty spot on.

I'm liking the air bubble principle, certainly makes sense
Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Greenlee37
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, very good point for me too, I was reasoning just yesterday with my mate about this possible cause: when he next came in for refuiling and I was pitting, i tried to fill the tank gently to the top, and not filling the space where the lid thene comes in.
It may take some more time in pitlane (maybe 3-5 secs more) but will save 30+ seconds in case of flame out at the end of pit lane or at first turn.
IMO This point is important even if you have a fuel gun, because at each refueling not always the tank has the same amount left, and you can exceed the top of tank anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.