Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loose Go carb-Need Help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default Loose Go carb-Need Help..

Hey all, right.. I just got my Go back from being pinched. And basically tommorow, when I m home I need to reseal the engine ect. But the Carb was loose.. as I tighten it up as hard as I can and it still moves reasonably easily to rotate it. I know the Go carbs are not great, But I dont want to spend a penny more on it.. as this is its last road before death. So what way can I get it to grip better. I think what's happening.. is the Thermo sleeve is gripping but the carb sleeve inside is turning. Can the thermo sleeve be remove? Do I just slide it off, maybe get the grease ect off of it.. smear some RTV-Instant Gasket place back on, seal up carb.. and leave overnight maybe more.. and see.. as I cant think of any other way.. to get round it? Any help appreciated.. cant get any pics sorry as Im at Uni till tommorow...

And does the black dot on the sleeve need to be a certain way.. parrell to somethings? Just to rule that out ect.. nothing simple In missing?? cheers
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

what could have happened was the sleeve around the bottom of the carb that the collar crimps down on is loose most likely the plastic holders(black dot you talked about) are broke off and will need a new carb or carb body see below link you can buy just the carb body from amainhobbies

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10581
Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, im over in the UK where finding Go spares is a nightmare.. will have a fiddle tommorow.. and see
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

A RB, NR, Vspec or Ninja JX21 carb will work
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, I have my V spec.. I could try.. but dont ideally want to.. as I will probally have to use my V-Spec on Sat as Not likely I can get the Go running fine before then..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

If the engine's truly on it's last leg then just JB Weld the carb in place
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, I may do something like that.. as It prob had about 6+ Gallons just had a pinch.. but there is a score in the piston too.. so not sure how it will run.. when I get it running.. But I think next month I will probally get a cheap engine.. to practice with-Which the Go is.. but dont really want to spend more £ to find I dosnt run well at all.. ,.. tricky one..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

If that's the case just JB Weld it and be done with it
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, I may do.. Think What I will do Is try to remove the thermal sleeve degrease it..ect try it ifnot.. Maybe try Spec carb-If then it runs fine.. then may replace the carb.. if not then may JB it or keep as spares... probs.. seem the most sensile way to do it.. Prefer to use the Go unless racing.. but cant. haha
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Yea, I may do.. Think What I will do Is try to remove the thermal sleeve degrease it..ect try it ifnot.. Maybe try Spec carb-If then it runs fine.. then may replace the carb.. if not then may JB it or keep as spares... probs.. seem the most sensile way to do it.. Prefer to use the Go unless racing.. but cant. haha
unless there is something majorly wrong with the go engine it will run perfectly well with a OS carb on it. Or like others have said just JB weld it in place and thrash it till it dies and buy a new 1

the new gen 5 carbs no longer have the metal sleave on them and look almost identical to a nova carb.

Adrian
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, I may retry the go one.. if not may stick in the OS as I need a engine for sat.. but last resort I just use my V-Spec ideally dont want to but if I have to I will.... Or even better Go runs fine with spec carb, will order one for the Go.. cheers for the input guys!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will G is on the money. This usually happened if you twisted it left and right trying to remove the carb or the servo pushed and pulled to hard on the carb(EPA not setup correctly).

FYI - I learned this the hard way myself

While the plastic thermal sleeve helps reduce heat transfer, it is a weak point in the design(IMO). The 2 "Black Dots" that hold it together just can't take the twisting.

Now if you can remove the outer neck from the plastic sleeve that is where I would use jbweld or other means to reattach it. Then it could be removed and attached at will.

I would just find another carb instead of using the jbweld to permantly attach it. $15.49 for a new carb body is cheap. I got lucky and found a OS Vspec carb for 20 bucks. Problem solved and ran much better.

I do own several Go's and they have served me well. They may have addressed this issue with more current mills. All mine are over a year old.