Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORCA Team - VRITRA VX COMPETITON ESC

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Look, nobody buying an ESC at the very top of the price range is expecting to drop another $50 to be able to do anything with it.

You guys can try to justify it all you want, but I'm just being honest. People are going to be pissed off like I am, especially if they pay foreign shipping charges which is the case for people in the US. It's not how you endear yourself to customers.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Look, nobody buying an ESC at the very top of the price range is expecting to drop another $50 to be able to do anything with it.

You guys can try to justify it all you want, but I'm just being honest. People are going to be pissed off like I am, especially if they pay foreign shipping charges which is the case for people in the US. It's not how you endear yourself to customers.
If it was double the price and i had to get it from the US i would still buy it. I'm just being honest.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

You have to cash out for the programmer box for most top end speedos. But 50 is a bit steep. But I mean, the Tekin hotwire is around the 40 mark, the orion a grotesque 59, and up until the Reventon line, you had to get the lcd programmer for SP which was a bit cheaper though. I myself was a bit bothered by the fact that I had to splash out even more than the 200 I just spent on the HW V3, just to get the programmer. It sucks, but it seems to be the general way of doing it.

SyndrOme, I recently(after my purchase) read about you having issues with the HW's drag-brake. I haven't run it on track yet, so have yet to see, but how would you compare it the the Orca or the BD? I have a good relationship with the dealer, so could easily return it and get one of the others.

Thanks. The only Orca at my track seem to be quick as a motherf*, but hard to tell without driving it yourself; too many other variables.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mrtoulouse
You have to cash out for the programmer box for most top end speedos. But 50 is a bit steep. But I mean, the Tekin hotwire is around the 40 mark, the orion a grotesque 59, and up until the Reventon line, you had to get the lcd programmer for SP which was a bit cheaper though. I myself was a bit bothered by the fact that I had to splash out even more than the 200 I just spent on the HW V3, just to get the programmer. It sucks, but it seems to be the general way of doing it.
The difference is that all those ESCs you mentioned have the option of being tuned directly using buttons. Which for blinky is all you need, since you're just adjusting drag brake and maybe throttle profile. The Orca has no such buttons. You can't change anything without the programming box. There's a big distinction there between how Orca handles this and everybody else.

Originally Posted by mrtoulouse
SyndrOme, I recently(after my purchase) read about you having issues with the HW's drag-brake. I haven't run it on track yet, so have yet to see, but how would you compare it the the Orca or the BD? I have a good relationship with the dealer, so could easily return it and get one of the others.
I haven't tried the Orca yet since I don't have the box to adjust it. The V3's drag brake issue (even when set to none) was present a few months ago when I last tried it. I decided to sell it, so I have no idea if they fixed it with firmware. But they eventually acknowledged there was an issue, possibly specific to KO radios which I use.

The BD feels great, but its brakes aren't strong enough for anything fast and it has a lot of drag brake even when you have it set to none.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The facts of the situation are, yes, the VX has no buttons and thus cannot be adjusted outside of standard mode without the setting box. I was simply stating that other popular products also require additional items to adjust, I.e. needing a Hotwire and a laptop to use 1S with a Tekin etc. Wasn't trying to pick a fight ;P

The VRITRA speedo (before the VX) did not have buttone either, and I think the Spark did, but only because it was designed with spec racing in mind.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Lord

No worries Peter, thanks for the info. I was just frustrated by it all. I should be getting a box soon so I can test the ESC and judge it by the track, the thing that matters the most.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Orca VX settings for TC stock

I have posted some setting on our facebook page if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/HootRC
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Lord

Can I put the cheater software on my VX once I get the programming box?

Hoping to hit the track with the new stuff Thursday.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Didn't make the list again.

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737http://
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Can I put the cheater software on my VX once I get the programming box?.
Is there another option?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Lord

Okay guys, I got my hands on a programming box (thanks EA!). Does the box ever needs its firmware updated like the Hobbywing stuff? Presumably I'll need that same USB cable you use to update the ESC?

The options the programming box gives me don't match what's in the manual. Are these explained anywhere?

1. Throttle Range (automatic / manual)
2. Neutral Range
3. Running Mode
4. Start Response (1X - 8X)
5. Punch Mode
6. PWM Mode (2k - 32k)
7. Timing Mode
8. Rev Power Mode
9. Drag Brake
10. Brake Force
11. Battery Mode
12. Over Heat

The three in red (1,4,6) are the ones I'm not quite sure what they mean.

Also, for what it's worth, the defaults on my unit were 5/10 for punch and 7/13 for drag brake (9%). These are the same defaults when you reset the unit to factory defaults. For me, that would have been too soft on throttle and too heavy on drag brake. So yeah, the programming box is pretty much a must have item.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
the vx as been sent to roar so i do not know what going on
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Okay guys, I got my hands on a programming box (thanks EA!). Does the box ever needs its firmware updated like the Hobbywing stuff? Presumably I'll need that same USB cable you use to update the ESC?

The options the programming box gives me don't match what's in the manual. Are these explained anywhere?

2. Neutral Range
3. Running Mode
5. Punch Mode
6. PWM Mode (2k - 32k)
7. Timing Mode
8. Rev Power Mode
9. Drag Brake
10. Brake Force
11. Battery Mode
12. Over Heat

Also, for what it's worth, the defaults on my unit were 5/10 for punch and 7/13 for drag brake (9%). These are the same defaults when you reset the unit to factory defaults. For me, that would have been too soft on throttle and too heavy on drag brake. So yeah, the programming box is pretty much a must have item.
Jeez dude go through speedo's much? Shoulda let me know about the Hobbywing when you sold it.

Let me know when you have results on this thing and if your going to sell it next week.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2. Neutral Range
3. Running Mode
5. Punch Mode
6. PWM Mode (2k - 32k)
7. Timing Mode
8. Rev Power Mode
9. Drag Brake
10. Brake Force
11. Battery Mode
12. Over Heat

list you full default setting then i can give you some settings as start point what car
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Lord

I'm running blinky mode so I don't need settings, I just need to know what those 3 options do.

NolanP: My goal is to find something that feels like an LRP but isn't an LRP because they're pig****ers and I don't want to give them any money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.