Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 JMRCA All Japan TC Championships @ Yatabe Arena

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just watched the video with the 2nd Amain in which Masami lost to the young Yokomo driver.

Don't click on it.

"Save as" to your files.

From the YOKOMO web site

http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/0611/06te.wmv

It really sucked to watch the drivers run out of power on the last lap..
Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Four cells: definite one-run batteries for top racers at top races, careful battery management needed for runtime, no longer a matter of just going to the shop to get the best batteries off the shelf as with six cells.

What happened to motor limits? Why restrict batteries, just restrict the motors.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Doucakis
I just watched the video with the 2nd Amain in which Masami lost to the young Yokomo driver.

Don't click on it.

"Save as" to your files.

From the YOKOMO web site

50 MB,...
Iīll check it in two hours...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 AM
CAi
Tech Apprentice

Just Crazy. Looking like stock motors with 6 cells.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
50 MB,...
Iīll check it in two hours...
Really It took me about 5 mins to download
Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

The reason the batteries are losing runtime is because they are being dumped on the track. If you dump these cells excessively at the end of the run you will kill the pack. We tell all our drivers to pull it off when it starts to dump. Of course, if you are in a race you need to do whatever it takes to finish. However, in practice, when the pack really flattens out, pull it off. This is not exclusive to 4 cells. It also happens with 6 cells, too.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Four cells: definite one-run batteries for top racers at top races, careful battery management needed for runtime, no longer a matter of just going to the shop to get the best batteries off the shelf as with six cells.

What happened to motor limits? Why restrict batteries, just restrict the motors.

If you don't dump the pack hard on the track you can definately run the pack many runs. It has nothing to do with the packs being 4 cells. It all about not dumping the packs hard on the track. The key to keep this from happening is car setup and motor setup.

The same thing can happen in 6 cells but hasn't yet happened as the motors have not been able to be tweaked enough to make the packs dump. Last I heard motor builder/tuners have been able to use up more battery power so dumping can become an issue.

I personally think 4 cell is a step forward. After all 4 cell 12th scale has been around for a long time and they could easily dump each run but the fast guys are making sure to manage there packs by using a bit less horsepower or simply not driving as hard.

As with anything new we need to give it sometime.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
If you don't dump the pack hard on the track you can definately run the pack many runs. It has nothing to do with the packs being 4 cells. It all about not dumping the packs hard on the track. The key to keep this from happening is car setup and motor setup.

The same thing can happen in 6 cells but hasn't yet happened as the motors have not been able to be tweaked enough to make the packs dump. Last I heard motor builder/tuners have been able to use up more battery power so dumping can become an issue.

I personally think 4 cell is a step forward. After all 4 cell 12th scale has been around for a long time and they could easily dump each run but the fast guys are making sure to manage there packs by using a bit less horsepower or simply not driving as hard.

As with anything new we need to give it sometime.
Pure true!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yep, don't wanna go through that crap again. People would have dozens of packs, new pack goes from one run in a main, to one run in qualifier to a run or two in practice then the trash.

A pack should last a season, minimum, no matter what. If motor turn reduction, current limiters, whatever, are required, then so be it.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddesros2
Yep, don't wanna go through that crap again. People would have dozens of packs, new pack goes from one run in a main, to one run in qualifier to a run or two in practice then the trash.

A pack should last a season, minimum, no matter what. If motor turn reduction, current limiters, whatever, are required, then so be it.
ddesros2, do you run open modified at club races regularly? If you do, and you are on pace with the fast guys your packs are getting wiped out just as fast right now running 6 cells. On top of that you are unsoldering winds, or throwing winds, or shutting down your BL speedo.

To me it sounds like the guys in Japan are having fewer problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I personally think 4 cell is a step forward. After all 4 cell 12th scale has been around for a long time...
personally, i wouldn't be using 12th scale as an example to promote the success of something.

the solution to the whole mess could be controlled by three variables:
-race length
-tires
-cost ceilings

regarding the race itself, i'm happy to see masami still wheeling it to the top. go old guys!

Last edited by gee-dub; 11-21-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

John,

are you able to find the 1st and 3rd main's video?

Don't click on it.

"Save as" to your files.

From the YOKOMO web site

Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm surprised no one who was there has mentioned the tires (if they have I've missed it on the last couple of pages) - apparently the best tires to have were from a batch made in 2001, only certain drivers (the top 3) had a really good supply of these and were able to push hard every time they were on the track.

So:
over a month straight of testing
perfectly molded, impossible to find tires (used for one run)
one-run batteries (well at least they weren't one-run motors)
track layout hasn't changed in 10 years

You could guess that world champs from previous visits to Yatabe would be in the top 3, eh?

I don't see why non-Japanese drivers even go to the Nats, it's just a waste of money. The JMRCA AGM is supposed to be coming up, hopefuly they change things to spec tires and figure out what they're doing for batteries. I don't see how the Japanese RC market can welcome new drivers to the hobby when these types of stories dominate the biggest races in the country. It's only supposed to be LIKE Formula 1, not ACTUALLY Formula 1.
what amazed me is that, how the heck did they found out the 2001 batch works?!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by over gear
what amazed me is that, how the heck did they found out the 2001 batch works?!
One word: Masami

He is the tire master. He spends more time obsessing on tires than anyone. In South Africa he had at least 1 car hauler bag full of metal tins containing various traction compounds. I am sure he has tested them all at one time or another.

No one comes to an event more massively prepared than Masami.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Shop Owner

Well, winning so many and important races, doesn't come easy or cheap

At the video of the 2nd Amain, he could easily hold the young boy and take the win of the main and of the overall event BUT he pulled away!!!

This is something you don't see very often, especially on such events!!

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.