Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hi Guys

I just picked up an Mi3.5 and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the steering touching the front spool or diff?

Cheers
Adrian
Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

...opps

Last edited by trf415ms; 03-15-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: wrong thread :(
Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo
Hi Guys

I just picked up an Mi3.5 and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the steering touching the front spool or diff?

Cheers
Adrian
The stock y piece will touch if you have it mounted in the furtherest forward hole, and the front diff set so the belt is loose.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Issues with mi3.5

Im sorta new to touring car and I recently picked up and Mi3.5 pro and have been having some issues with it. The big problem is when I turn left especially my suspension starts offloading. You can see the arm vibrating up and down and it sounds like its literally sounds like its tearing itself apart. It will do this regardless of whether its sitting on the ground or up on my car stand. But it will only do this if there is rotating mass on the drive train (i.e my tires). Someone had suggested that my cv's are bottoming out. Ive taken them out but i see no unusual signs of wear that would suggest that. My epa is to the right is 70 after that the right side does the same thing but on the left i cant go any higher than 20. I was thinking that maybe its the servo itself, it may be too strong (its an ace 1315) but id like to get some suggestions before i try more things

Id appreciate any help i could get..thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ragnarbm
Im sorta new to touring car and I recently picked up and Mi3.5 pro and have been having some issues with it. The big problem is when I turn left especially my suspension starts offloading. You can see the arm vibrating up and down and it sounds like its literally sounds like its tearing itself apart. It will do this regardless of whether its sitting on the ground or up on my car stand. But it will only do this if there is rotating mass on the drive train (i.e my tires). Someone had suggested that my cv's are bottoming out. Ive taken them out but i see no unusual signs of wear that would suggest that. My epa is to the right is 70 after that the right side does the same thing but on the left i cant go any higher than 20. I was thinking that maybe its the servo itself, it may be too strong (its an ace 1315) but id like to get some suggestions before i try more things

hello,

make sure your cvd's are not binding. Are the cvd/axle pin in place? Sometimes the set screw can back out and allow the pin to move out and this could cause binding as it rubs on the front hub carrier.

Also, most cars will make the typical chatter noise if the car is on a stand and the wheels are off the groud and you apply throttle and try to turn left or right. HB Cyclones, Yokomos, TC5, Kyosho, Tamiya, etc...the one that barely does this is the Losi Type R due to it's double cardan LCD upfront, which reduce chatter significantly. It will do it more severely as you accelerate and try to turn simultaneously to full lock right or left. In general, we try to set EPA so that when you turn right or left, the steering knuckle is about 1.5-2mm from touching the caster block, which helps with reducing chatter.

If it's doing it on the ground, then something could be binding, EPA not set correctly, or maybe your front spool outdrives are loose. It could also be a warped tire.

Seems like your EPA is off...you shouldnt have 70 on one side and 20 on the other...
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Swap cvd's left to right to see if the issue follows the CVD, which it sounds like it should. Did you get the car new or used?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I went thru this recently..I believe it is not just for Schumacher car, any car will do this...(at least for me, my Mi3s TA05 Mi2, TM E4RS....etc)

I am sure you are using SPOOL, right..?

I am sure this only happened when you have tires mounted? And it is acting normal when the tires are off, right..? (yes, you have mentioned that on your post)

I am sure the CVD are vibrating hard (like it is grinding the pin with the CVD) up and down like it will break eventually, right..?

I am sure your CVD are straight cause they are new...right?

Answer...your rubber tires need to be balanced....

I have this happened to me like 2 months ago and asked that question, my Mi3.5 is BRAND NEW...so not binding, weared parts, or broken parts on front...except, my tires are not new...then, a friend of mine showed me has Corally with spool, used parts with used CVD and used tires, except, all 4 corners of his tires are all balanced...no vibration on his when his steering is on full left and full right.

I am NOT 100% GARANTEE you that it is the ANSWER cause I don't bother to balance my tires, nor I have the tools and times to do that...I changed mine to a 1-way and solved my problem at that moment...but I do believe the tires need to be balance. My Ta05 (also brand new back then) has the same problem...also, using some old CS27 without balancing...

If you want to do some experiment...try it on DIFF or on 1-way, I am sure the vibration is not as obvious then using the spool...at least that happened on my case. I believed that has to do with the SPOOL because it transfer the UNBALANCED force from left side to the right side (vise versa) and causing the vibration....1-way (especially) and diff does not carry the vibration as hard as spool and thats why we cannot see the vibration as obviously as using the spool.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Team,

Just passing through to say whats up b&*#$es!. Needless to say its been a while for me.

Welcome, IslandBwoy.
You last visited: 07-03-2008 at 11:11 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 146.
Good to see that there is a new car on the block though. At least that means the team is staying competative. Until next time.

PEACE!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One thing i have noticed to be helpful is to keep the cvds lubricated...it will help alot with the wear and chatter issues for spools. Even a few drops of bearing oil at the start of race day will work wonders here.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Haynes
He is running very soft springs the schuie springs only go from 14 on up.
If you're talking about Graingers setup the springs he's using are a bit stiffer than Schumacher Blues (16lb) at the back and close to Schumacher Greens (18lb) at the front. They're actually 320gf/mm front (17.9lb) and 302gf/mm rear (16.9lb).
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Remember though that HPI springs are very linear and Schue springs are progressive, so a HPI spring with the equivalent weight rating to a Schue spring will feel softer on the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
Hey Team,

Just passing through to say whats up b&*#$es!. Needless to say its been a while for me.

Good to see that there is a new car on the block though. At least that means the team is staying competative. Until next time.

PEACE!
what up Rashad!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey Guys

Are Schumi releasing any new CVD's that remove chatter similiar to the ones that are available for the xgay009; or are they already available?

Cheers
Adrian
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

On the Schumacher forum... some one said somthng about a MI4 on its way?

Anyone that Knows? or it is just BS......
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vazzo
Hey Guys

Are Schumi releasing any new CVD's that remove chatter similiar to the ones that are available for the xgay009; or are they already available?

Cheers
Adrian
The chatter probleem seems to be confined to Xrays only because of thier suspension setup.

So far as I know/have experienced the Mi3/3.5 doesn't have any chatter issues so I doubt anything will become available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.