Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fluffy622
Here are some pics of the new proline protoform panel wagon body painted up. I just have it sitting on my M05.

Attachment 789987

Attachment 789998

Attachment 790000
OK back to Mini talk.....Fluffy622 or anyone else I would love to hear more about this new body.

I have read allot of different things... some say its to long others say its good and some have even told me that the Mini wheels don't really fit right as the body is more designed for full scale wheels.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My wife just got back from Australia. While there she went to a lot of different Hobbyshops trying to find me a body and some other parts for my mini that might not be available in Canada. She said of the 6 shops she visited 5 of them were staffed by ignorant rude pricks who apparently had no interest in selling anything. It's really too bad, she was prepared to spend a lot of money.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Timbulb,

Yep alot of the hobby shops down here have no interest in the racing hobby they just want to sell stuff to the street basher.

We are lucky to have guys like http://www.feralbatteries.com/ and http://www.m-chassis.com/ to service our mini needs.

Im lucky that my two local shops are run by racers so they are more than happy to look after us. Where was your wife?? Need to stay away from those shops.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

AjRacing get back to topic asap !!! Answer me this mate , did you ever win a race with the gear diff ? What gear ratios are available ?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Timbulb
My wife just got back from Australia. While there she went to a lot of different Hobbyshops trying to find me a body and some other parts for my mini that might not be available in Canada. She said of the 6 shops she visited 5 of them were staffed by ignorant rude pricks who apparently had no interest in selling anything. It's really too bad, she was prepared to spend a lot of money.
Where in Oz did she go?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A J Racing
OK back to Mini talk.....Fluffy622 or anyone else I would love to hear more about this new body.

I have read allot of different things... some say its to long others say its good and some have even told me that the Mini wheels don't really fit right as the body is more designed for full scale wheels.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, it's ugly and I don't care how functional it is.

Originally Posted by Timbulb
man, I feel sorry for you both. However any trips I make to the LHS I'm usually alone or with fellow hobbyists, kinda expecting less than perfect hospitality, always haha.

On another note, I do wish we'd just race those XB RTRs, can't get any fairer than that!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Protoform bombed on that body ! It is neither pretty nor fast ! It gets killed on our track , and feels out of place .Just an addition to their lineup to say they have one available !!!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A J Racing

Any thoughts?
Hey A J!

The body is a little to long for the car itself. I raced it last week and my lap times were identical to my lap times with my mini shell on. One of my main reasons for buying the panel wagon body is because I really like old muscle car style vehicles and i wanted a body that would fit the medium wheel base of 225mm. You can kind of tell from my crappy phone pics.....lol.....that the mini wheels are a little small for the wheel wells. I recently put on an old set of touring car tires and it fits much better. I also sent an e-mail to proline protoform telling them of my troubles.....haven't heard anything back yet. With all of that being said, I probably wouldn't buy the body again. It looks cool but there are just to many things wrong with it.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

The protoform body also looks heavy compared to the 210mm bodies out there !
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

lets just hope they have more than one body to choose from, and I'd like them lightweight please
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Protoform bombed on that body ! It is neither pretty nor fast ! It gets killed on our track , and feels out of place .Just an addition to their lineup to say they have one available !!!
Where in NYC do you race M-Chassis?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Alright, Tim, what did she end up getting for you? Or do I have to wait until racing next Saturday?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

bertrandsv87,

In response to the 3Racing oil gear diff:

Yes they have been used by racers to win events. NSW State Titles, ACT State Titles. The first four qualifying places in the NSW State Titles had oil gear diffs fitted. So yes they do work.

Gear diff ratio is the same as a normal mini. It just replaces the original bevel gear diff or the TAO3/MO5 ball diff. The Tamiya standard intermediatry gear and spur gear are used.

I really think you should read some of the other posts that have been posted fully, as there is alot of information regarding mini setup. I am aware that not all setups will work in various countries due to the different rules and surfaces we race on. However you never know, you might learn something that might assist with your car setup.

The oil gear diff is already big news here in Australia and in the Asia market.

If you really want to see what can be done and is done to mini's for racing, then go and google Ride Cup Thailand. Now that is highly modified mini racing with a weight limit of 1200 gms, speed gear sets and chopped chassis's.

Happy Racing,

Calvin.

BTW,
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nytryder
regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
Try this
http://www.feralbatteries.com/3-Raci...M05_p_246.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.