GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

I wish to than Mike Braun for his excellent race in the A Main in the IGT Class at Paris Memorial. Mike finished a solid second place and this is not bad for a guy that doesn't get to race this class very often.

Mike was using GQ 1/8th GT Rally Rubber Tires. These tires in the heats and as well in the main proved to have excellent grip and above all excellent wear. Mike could be seen running the infamous Orange rims of GQ's during his first two heats. Then for those who may have noticed Mike's rims were white for the last two heats and in the A main. Mike was kind enough to help me test new rubber that GQ will soon bring to the market place. As everyone noticed, Mike had excellent grip throughout the main in the fronts and the rears. Mike reported he enjoyed using the test rubber and had his fastest and most consistent laps when using the new white dots.

I also wish to thank the Utah crew for putting on a great show in the IGT class. These guys had a lot fun everyday and it was fun being around them. For all of the guys that tried GQ 1/8th GT Rally tires for the first time I want to thank you for trying them and all the positive feedback you gave me all weekend long. GQ tires are known around the world for their excellent grip and long wear. They are also know for their solid rims. Unfortunately on racer decided to test the quality of the GQ rim with his car. The rim won.

It looks like GQ's PHD staff and R&D department have another excellent rubber tire on the way for IGT racers. I will keep you aware when these tires hit the market place!

Thanks again to everyone, you made my weekend fun!
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-gq-8th-rally-mike-braun.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-gq-8th-rally-mikes-car.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
That body is available only for GT1 as far as I know. I can get those through DeltaPlastik. I believe its the same body Paul Coleman used to run. Body is legal as long as the engine is completely covered and doesn't expose the head.
That body I ran was made by a company called BYSM, it is much stronger body than DeltaPlastik. I ran some DeltaPlastik bodies before and they were very thin and soft.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bassman2
That body I ran was made by a company called BYSM, it is much stronger body than DeltaPlastik. I ran some DeltaPlastik bodies before and they were very thin and soft.
Yeah, the DeltaPlastiks are really thin, I tore mine up the first race I ran it.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I also tried out the GQ tires. I ran the Medium rubber with medium inserts in 2 of my qualifiers. Setting my position in the second qualifier on the GQ tires. I was very impresses with the grip they provided and the consistency during the the run. I was impressed enough to purchase a few sets

they had very good grip and great wear life. I ran them for over an hour of track time and they didn't show much signs of wear. I look forward to trying out the new compound as well.

thanks for your support of the GT class in Vegas Sam. I enjoyed talking with you in the pits.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone have a good starting setup for DM-1 spec car?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bassman2
Interesting - the bodies are available from: http://www.rcmodelstore.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=32_34

And they'e 1.5 mm lexan too!!!!!!!!

Calculates to about $41.00 (today) plus shipping - which I'm sure would be significent!

AND, it looks like the DeltaPlastic bodies are available in 2 thicknesses - the 'thin' that Wild Bill experienced and a 1.5mm version also. A valid question would also be: Does Lexan mean the same thing in Europe that it does here???

I'm thinkin' about getting one of these to run against Wild Bills SC truck:

and possibly one of these:

to annoy EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Lotsa' options there - anyone looking at importing these or should we send our money to Europe????
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
Does anyone have a good starting setup for DM-1 spec car?
Many people start with something like this:

front shocks 1000 wt. (diff oil)
rear shocks 80 wt.
yellow spring front 40740
white spring rear 40739
front camber 2 degrees
rear camber 3.5 degrees
front toe neg 1
rear toe 2
roll center inside upper front and rear
100,000 front diff.
30,000 rear diff.
7mm ride ht frnt.
8mm ride ht rear
front sway bar almost 90degrees
no sway bar rear

I ended up using this:
front shocks 1000 wt. (diff oil)
rear shocks 80 wt.
white spring front
red spring rear
front camber 2 degrees
rear camber 3 degrees
front toe neg 1
rear toe 2
roll center inside upper front and rear
100,000 front diff.
10,000 rear diff.
7mm ride ht frnt.
8mm ride ht rear
front sway bar 90degrees
rear sway bar 0degrees

In our track this gives me great steering and not too much body roll. If you need less steering go up in front diff oil, or if you need more then go down. I've also used 80wt. in front shocks (as it comes from the factory) with good results. The other advise I can give you is buy racing tires, I use Ipanema with great results. Another thing is the body, the Protoform works very well but the Warrior body from Ipanema gives you better performance with more downforce where you need it.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chris K
Lotsa' options there - anyone looking at importing these or should we send our money to Europe????
Yes, I'm looking to start a 1/8th scale rallycross class here in New Jersey, and would VERY INTERESTED in a local supplier of these bodies!

I already talked to our local LHS about getting them, so let's see what we can do....

Here is our link....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...v-6th-7th.html

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

I can get any of the bodies from here.....

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=15

They have a thicker body option, as the standard body thickness is too thin.

PM me if anyone is interested.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

how much for mclaren 2
http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...ti&l=ita&id=82
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my setup pretty much like Jneg but i use stock springs, 3.5 rear toe, 20,000 front diff....Jneg are you using stock or stand up towers?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

OK, I got a really good response from you guys on the DeltaPlastik bodies. I didn't realize that many guys still run the GT1 chassis.

Below is the minimum needed to get the order placed and to offer you guys the best price. Please understand that I have to order these directly from Italy, the exchange rate changes daily, I have to pay for really high shipping, and also pay for the bank transfer.

What I will do is add these to the website as a special order item. I will need 10 bodies ordered before I will order from them.

Bodies are $55 each and the wings are $5 each. This price is for the thick body option, and includes shipping to you (lower 48 only) If you need it shipped elsewhere, then contact me for shipping price.

My suggestion is to order 2 bodies, because that will fill the 10 minimum quicker, and also, it takes several weeks for these to come in, as the language barrier is horrific, bank transfer takes days, and then the cheapest shipping is also the slowest.

You must order a body to order a wing. I will not order just a wing for someone, but I will order multiple wings for you if you just order one body.

PM me with what body/bodies you would like to order, and I will add it to the website so you can order it.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

I would like to get some info on setting up possibly a GT 2 class to run at our 2 large tracks, where we currently have a good size 8th scale class and 10th scale class. I'm thinking the GT2 class might make the most sense to complement our current intermediate to expert racers. Could someone state the rules and specs for such a class and what kits and additonal parts, if any, are needed to make it competitive race ready. We would like to select a spec rubber tire if possible, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Our tracks, one permanent the other temporary, are med to med high grip.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

I have 8 of the Deltaplastik Subaru bodies that are 1.5mm thick here at casterusa if anyone wants that particular one. Just contact me.

We were planning on doing electric ones, but there wasn't much interest. We also have the rally wheels and tires available.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jtveten
I would like to get some info on setting up possibly a GT 2 class to run at our 2 large tracks, where we currently have a good size 8th scale class and 10th scale class. I'm thinking the GT2 class might make the most sense to complement our current intermediate to expert racers. Could someone state the rules and specs for such a class and what kits and additonal parts, if any, are needed to make it competitive race ready. We would like to select a spec rubber tire if possible, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Our tracks, one permanent the other temporary, are med to med high grip.
If you are looking to get a class started, i would start with a spec class where you run the car box stock with the exception of electronics (radio, receiver, servo, and receiver battery), and tires. Contact John Lee at Sweep Racing USA [email protected] and I am sure that he will help you on recommending and supplying a spec tire.

After you get people racing in the spec class, then you can see if there is interest in an open class where you run what you have.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.