Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by HeavyD
What's a spool? And also what is all the hype with running the rear shock tower on the front? It gives more steering by allowing more of an upright placement of the front shocks? thanks
A spool is a locked front diff, or one that's just solid to begin with (i.e IRS spool). It gives you the onpower steering of a oneway, however less offpower than a diff. But you get the onpower steering and still have 4 wheel brakes unlike the oneway. The rear shock tower moved to the front makes the angle of the shocks even front and rear. And yes, standing up the shocks gives more steering because it allows that end of the car to roll more. Hope this helps
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

I have CNC made TC3 Alum spools for $20. Also have them
for the Cuda. PM me if you would like to get one.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Axiom5B
...standing up the shocks gives more steering because it allows that end of the car to roll more.
Ok I have always been confused by the effects of standing shocks up and laying shocks down. Here is how I think of it:

Lets start with a shock in a "standard" position somewhere between "stood up" and "layed down." At this point, the suspension arm arcs up a distance we will call "D" and the shock is then compressed by an amount lets call "X." If we now put the shock into a "layed down" position and move the suspension arm up the same distance "D", I believe that the shock will be compressed less than "X"... thus leading to a softer front end and more roll. If we put the shock into a "stood up" position and move the suspension arm up the same distance "D", I believe that the shock will be compressed more than "X"... thus leading to a stiffer front end and less roll.

Now this is just how I think about it... I don't know if I am right or wrong or just smoking crack. Comments anyone? I am just in search of the truth :-)
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cracker - the way I understand it...it's a simple leverage thing. Standing the shocks up requires more energy to compress resulting in a stiffer feel, less bite. Shocks leaned in compress easier giving a softer feel, more bite.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Cracker78 - Dotman is correct. You are not smoking crack but Axion5B may be. The outside hole on the tower will decrease steering and make the steering less aggressive.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Genetic
Hey do you guys know how much those nice Stainless Steel Spools go for? Thanks

If your refering to the prototype that Barry Baker is running, they are not stainless steel. They are made out of hardened tool steel.
They are about the same weight as a oneway and will never wear out.
I am not ready to sell these yet but if any local So Cal people would like one you can e-mail me here

Last edited by D_Ames; 04-27-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Control tyer for reedy race

Hi guys

Just wonderd if any of you guys in the states are racing at the reedy race over there and can give me a web address of a model shop where i can buy the control tyer from as it is the same one used over here in England two weeks later for the reedy race.Would be very gratefull of any help so i can start testing with them on my TC3.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

You should be able to order them at www.speedtechrc.com
Old 04-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcracingfreak
If your refering to the prototype that Barry Baker is running, they are not stainless steel. They are made out of hardened tool steel.
They are about the same weight as a oneway and will never wear out.
I am not ready to sell these yet but if any local So Cal people would like one you can e-mail me here
Will you be at the track this Sat??? I need to come see you.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by DOTMAN
Cracker - the way I understand it...it's a simple leverage thing. Standing the shocks up requires more energy to compress resulting in a stiffer feel, less bite. Shocks leaned in compress easier giving a softer feel, more bite.
Ok, I absolutely agree with you, but just for the sake of argument lets say we have two setups, one with shocks "stood up" and one with shocks "layed down." Now if we put stiffer springs on the "layed down" setup such that the energy required to compress both setups would be the same. Would there be a difference in handling?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Reedy race

Cheers Dotman
Old 04-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks every one for your info on milling the chassi, I have a freind who works in a mill shop I think I can get him to help me out, and if I don't like it I guess I'll just buy a new chassi.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Cracker78 - In the turns, logically, I would say no if the effective stiffness was the same. But the spring stiffness effects how your car handles in different areas (acceration, entering and exiting turns, etc). Your two scenarios may have the same effect entering a turn, but have a different result exiting. Not being a pro driver or an engineer, it would be hard for me to say what the difference would be. Shock angle is just a way to fine tune your setup. If your car had a bad push, I don't think leaning the shocks will fix it. I would probably change springs/oil and/or droop. I use shock angle changes when my setup is good and I'm trying to make it great.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mike D, no i'm not smoking crack. All i know is, racing mod a couple months ago i was searching for a little bit more steering. So i go ask Kevin K what he thinks i could do to get just a tad more steering. He says stand the shocks up, it lets the car roll more, which gives more steering. So i put the shocks up one whole (outer hole) and i go out there for my heat. Amazingly, I had all the steering I wanted . Now this was on a XXX-S, but shouldn't the principles stay the same car to car?

Cracker78, you said if you stand the shocks up, the suspension would be compressed more...would that not lead to more roll?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Standing the shocks up compresses the shocks more than when the shocks are leaned in given the same amount of suspension arm travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.