Wiki Posts
Search

Will you buy RPM arms for MBX6-T?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CKmaxx
Hey Billy, I'm actually considering running my MBX6T in on road next year. That should hopefully help the arm situation out.

Mugen needs to fix the arm issue or I'm going to shove my truggy right up their pooper.........
I bet you'll break a front arm for sure when you do that....OUCH!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I bet you'll break a front arm for sure when you do that....OUCH!

The rear arms may break, too because I'm not planning on being gentle when I ram it up there. It will have the force of a whole season of frustration behind it...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg B
Handles 10x's better than RC8 and Losi ? If they're that good, I would imagine we would see more in the winners circle.
Main reason why you don't see them in the winners circle is because of a DNF due to broken arms...............
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
they did already. why cant users just expect to break if they crash at 30mph wheel first....
+1

Joe is right

I have broken about 4 or 5 lower front arms in a solid 2 years of racing the 6T and only when i have made a mistake such as clocking a fence or concrete block at speed

Just think what i would have bent or broken if the arm did not give way....

I honestly beleive the only reason people think the front lower arm on the 6T is poorly desinged etc is because its about the only breakable part of the truck, Moral of the story is the truck is bullet proof and if the arm did not break you would bend or break your hinge pin or other associated components

Dave
Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc skyline
+1

Joe is right

I have broken about 4 or 5 lower front arms in a solid 2 years of racing the 6T and only when i have made a mistake such as clocking a fence or concrete block at speed

Just think what i would have bent or broken if the arm did not give way....

I honestly beleive the only reason people think the front lower arm on the 6T is poorly desinged etc is because its about the only breakable part of the truck, Moral of the story is the truck is bullet proof and if the arm did not break you would bend or break your hinge pin or other associated components
There's actually a good logic to why this would be a good thing. If the hinge pin bends, even though the handling would be compromised, the vehicle could likely finish the race. Finishing slower is better than not finishing at all.

Coming from the O'Donnell vehicles, which has arms stronger than the one on the Toyota Tundra I drive to work, I experienced this several times during the period that I was raicng with the Z01-T.

Heck, while at the PNB this year, I was tapped from behind while in the air on the big jump on the front straight. My truck came from 15-20 feet in the air, and landed nose down, squarely on one front wheel. This impact would surely have broken a Mugen arm, but in my case, the hinge pin bent, but did not hamper the truck enough to cause me to have to stop.

Even with the arm issue, fuel tank issues, etc...my new vehicle is an MBX6-T. If RPM decides to make arms for it, I'll give it them shot. I agree though, some minor tweaking of the design around the "weak area" on the Mugen parts would be very much welcome.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
There's actually a good logic to why this would be a good thing. If the hinge pin bends, even though the handling would be compromised, the vehicle could likely finish the race. Finishing slower is better than not finishing at all.

Coming from the O'Donnell vehicles, which has arms stronger than the one on the Toyota Tundra I drive to work, I experienced this several times during the period that I was raicng with the Z01-T.

Heck, while at the PNB this year, I was tapped from behind while in the air on the big jump on the front straight. My truck came from 15-20 feet in the air, and landed nose down, squarely on one front wheel. This impact would surely have broken a Mugen arm, but in my case, the hinge pin bent, but did not hamper the truck enough to cause me to have to stop.

Even with the arm issue, fuel tank issues, etc...my new vehicle is an MBX6-T. If RPM decides to make arms for it, I'll give it them shot. I agree though, some minor tweaking of the design around the "weak area" on the Mugen parts would be very much welcome.
has been done a few times... i have 3 sets of arms (buggy and truggy), ive bought over time and all have been a tad different. same with buggy... although, (knock on wood) i have yet to break anything on truggy (watch me break something this weekend ). but have broken 2 front arms, 1 rear arm, and front toe plate on buggy.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RPM Answer Man

OK, I emailed RPM this:

Dear RPM,

Please tell me that you're making arms for our buggies and trudges…the Mugen arms are terribly brittle and I've lost more than one race due to breakage. Please help!!!

Regards,
Keoni Ahlo

And just received this:

Dear Mr. Keoni Ahlo,
Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions for you. RPM currently does not make a set of Mugen a-arms (nor are there any plans for them at the moment) so we won't be able to help you out there. However, you can try boiling your a-arms for about 5 - 10 minutes. The hot water will stress relieve the plastic and help reduce the fragile nature of the stock material. However, if the design on the a-arms is bad, boiling them won't help much, although you might see a slight improvement on performance. Please note, there is a myth going around the internet saying that boiling plastics makes them softer. That is not true. Warm temperatures make the material softer and more pliable but a boiled part tested at the same temperature as one that hasn't been boiled will be identical since boiling cannot change the chemical properties of the plastic (over a short duration such as 5 - 15 minutes, long term boiling may have adverse effects but is irrelevant to this situation). I hope this helps.
Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.

I guess it's time to break out the pot o' water and start cooking' these suckers; however, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I just emailed them too. Any of you who would be willing to try them shoot them an email, and mention the mbx6 and mbx6t. If you want them do something about it.

[email protected]

-Drew
Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Why waste all the time and effort when the MBX7 and MBX7T are just
around the corner. ..............................
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I'm betting it will be at least 2 more years since the mbx6r is not even out yet
Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I don't think the "r" is going to help matters much.
Mugen needs to come up with some major changes very soon.
I know a few racers that have been racing Mugens for years
and got fed up with dnf's. Too many bent and twisted driveshafts,
broken arms. So they have switched to other more reliable buggys
and truggys made by other manufactures.
One of them even has a big Mugen/Seike tattoo on his shoulder.
I told him to hold off getting a cover-up done on it until he sees
if Mugen is going to pull something out their arses to keep them
competitive in 2012.