The Drift Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

is there a differnce of abilities between shaft and belt driven cars drifting? and some one told me theres gonna be a new car out from team associated after the tc4 that is belt driven... has any one herd anything is it gonna be better than the tc4? just wonderen
Old 07-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by supradude
is there a differnce of abilities between shaft and belt driven cars drifting? and some one told me theres gonna be a new car out from team associated after the tc4 that is belt driven... has any one herd anything is it gonna be better than the tc4? just wonderen
i believe less touqe is lost in shaft driven cars for the some what more solid drivetrain

because the belt is not hard, the touqe is some what desipated (spelling on that)

and i aslo believe that shaft cars are more "reactive" to throttle and braking responses..

do understand? sorry if my english is kinda rough i have a major headache haha
Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Initiate

so is there a way to tighten the belt so you dont loose as much torque?(by the way you probly guess i dont have a belt driven car)and do you loose enough torque to notice it?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by supradude
so is there a way to tighten the belt so you dont loose as much torque?(by the way you probly guess i dont have a belt driven car)and do you loose enough torque to notice it?
well since we are driving on much smaller traction tires the touqe is simply un noticable to the normal driver

tourqe on the abs is overtaken with the rpms of the motors so tourqe really cant be changed that much...but more than normal tourqe is best for me

do u get what im saying... because normkal car have to BREAk tractionfrom the rubber tires..and they use touqe to do that

our abs tires already break traction from full throttle

hope u understand now

and i think stiffer belts and less droop on the belt (tighten it more with the belt tensioner) can help out with more touqe and reaction time...im not to sure though
Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by anthony390
because the belt is not hard, the touqe is some what desipated (spelling on that)

and i aslo believe that shaft cars are more "reactive" to throttle and braking responses..
Having driven both drive trains, I think the only second thing anthony390 said is correct. Shaft drive gives you more direct feeling power, but it also has it's down sides in torque steer and drive train damage on impact. The maximum torque to the wheels isn't more than a belt car. Belt drive tends to be more consistent over many laps because it is less twitchy.

That said, unless you're running modified motors with grip tires I don't think it matters too much. Mod on foam is where I decided my next car would be belt. For drift other things will matter more than drive train type, like castor, camber and weight distribution.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

anthony u got a hangover i just about recovered from me mates bday party (almost 22 hours later dam sambuca ) i was planning to spend the day working on the cars but i ended up doen the pub again drinking the bar maids made it worth going

anyhow onto drifting my TC3 wont drift i cannot get it to cut loose im running a money motor 19turn with yokomo drifts if i give it a flick to drift it just under steers massivly and thats it i aint had time to strip the car as of above im gonna strip the car tomoz and check it over any ideas y it would do that
Old 07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

a shafts delivery is more aprupt and a belt is smoother

you want a shaft.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaZ
anthony u got a hangover i just about recovered from me mates bday party (almost 22 hours later dam sambuca ) i was planning to spend the day working on the cars but i ended up doen the pub again drinking the bar maids made it worth going

anyhow onto drifting my TC3 wont drift i cannot get it to cut loose im running a money motor 19turn with yokomo drifts if i give it a flick to drift it just under steers massivly and thats it i aint had time to strip the car as of above im gonna strip the car tomoz and check it over any ideas y it would do that

yea same here but it only lasted for a day so yea...it was a wedding for me not a b-day hahaha

yea so the tc3 wont flick and stay smooth huh?
well ur diffs could be a problem...a 19t should be plenty so it cant be underpowered
ur suspension...is it a bit stiffer than the front?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

i think the diffs are the main problem i was out last night with it with rubbers on on a different site i got caught out chasing me mate and ended up in the marbles and crap slid to a stop planted the throttle to pull away and it sounded like the rear diff slipped and when i pull away instead of instant accel the revs build up and then start to drop off as it pulls away it sounds like when you pull away in a real car(ish) revs up pulling away down then up as speed gains ive still got the diff action when you hold the spur and one wheel etc its just on accel anyone else done that
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i wanna do a complete rebuild of car but as always im low on money and cant buy

lol
so yea...like all my parts have so much slop now...jezz im gonna start my tc4 conversion now since all my parts need to be replaced anyway
hahaha well yea hey aries did u get a costomer for your oneway.haha i told my friend about it....his name is brice i believe...just helping a friend out
Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

okay guys, question:

the two yokomo drift tires. the one with one large band and the one with two small bands. one better for front/rear/everywhere?

I already have ABS, PVC, and electrical tape drift tires; I wanna try something new.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthony390
i wanna do a complete rebuild of car but as always im low on money and cant buy

lol
so yea...like all my parts have so much slop now...jezz im gonna start my tc4 conversion now since all my parts need to be replaced anyway
hahaha well yea hey aries did u get a costomer for your oneway.haha i told my friend about it....his name is brice i believe...just helping a friend out
I've had some nibbles, no takers. Wait, one guy sent me a check. I'm just waiting on it before I send the one-way out. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aries326
I've had some nibbles, no takers. Wait, one guy sent me a check. I'm just waiting on it before I send the one-way out. Thanks!
yea thats prolly him well yea no proba aries well yea i met him through myspace haha so ya he contacted me to see if i knew anyone who was sellinga one way and i gave him the site on which u were selling the oneway on, i believe it was on drccentral so yea

hahaha no probs and btw the red FD is just fabulous, good work henry
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hey just startin in the driftin scene

i got a tc3 team kit and an colt ep01 im tryin to make a drift car out of my colt i stiffened up the rear end and put a spool diff in the rear.. its still 4wd but i have loosened up the front diff to make it feel a bit more rear weel drive i did have some abs tires (that i got from a dude at the local race meet) any ways theyve recently packed it in.. so does any one kno wat good set of tires that should be readly availble that would be good.. all the ones i got r too sticky and the std colt tires r only good if the concreate is wet.. i have tried bigger motorsi ran a dr speed 16x3 in it but it didnt make to much diffenece compared to the 21x2 i was running if any one knows wat i could do to get my colt to drift properly plz email me at [email protected]
Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

i found out why me TC3 wont drift ive run the yokomo drifts down to the rubber. on the outter edge of the tyre theres a small ring of rubber and ive run the plastic down and its runninng on the rubber when i try to drift so it just grips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.