Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The IRS Pivot Ball Insertion Tool IS worth it's weight in gold. Wouldn't build a car without one. Or a 1/8" reamer. Or...

Jason, ygpm
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats the thing, I have no such tools! Worse still, I am in Canada now. Shipping a small part like that is crazy
Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Jason,

You need to sort out a price for a pre-built car! Assemble the except the aerial and ship it in the same box, all we have to do is install electrics and we're off!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1armed1

Kropy,
You going to Ft.Wayne sunday for the trophy race?
I'll be in Toledo for their first race if my speedo's show up by this weekend.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Kropy,
IRS does not accept pay pal, sorry.

Dave
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default diff ring coning

I'm slowly assembling my car, working on the diff rings now. (Skipped the shock, waiting for a replacement cap from DiffDude.)

What I notice as I sand the diff rings is that they are quite conical. On one side the sanding only scuffs near the center of the ring; on the other, only near the outer edge.

Is part of the reason for sanding the rings to make them flatter?

If so it would seem more effective to start with a coarser paper and finish with the #600, instead of trying to remove all that material with the #600.

--mark
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
I'm slowly assembling my car, working on the diff rings now. (Skipped the shock, waiting for a replacement cap from DiffDude.)

What I notice as I sand the diff rings is that they are quite conical. On one side the sanding only scuffs near the center of the ring; on the other, only near the outer edge.

If so it would seem more effective to start with a coarser paper and finish with the #600, instead of trying to remove all that material with the #600.

--mark
Mark,

If one of your rings require a significant amount of sanding I would try another. I'll be at SIR on Sunday with spares if you need one.

Mark
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBrown

--mark

It is very common and this is why you want to sand them. The reason this happens is because during the stamping proccess,there will be some deformation. I am very surprised how minimal it is on the diff rings being that stampings usually deform so much that they need to be flattened. I would imagine that they are flattened after the stamping proccess but there will be a slight bit of memory in the material that will make it real hard to get them perfect. Try starting with 220 drit and then start going to finer paper as they flatten out.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Did you guys ream out the front steering blocks after installing the front axles? If not this will tweak the car badly because the spindles need to move freely on the kingpin.
I have a question on this one. While building the front end I lacked an 1/8 inch reamer (Jason, you are missing a bet by not selling 1/8 inch reamers), so I went to SIR to borrow one. Fortunately for me, Brian Bodine was racing there that day, so not only was I able to borrow a reamer from him, I was able to get his advice on "blueprinting" the front end.

His first advice was to perform some extra trimming on the upper suspension ball ends, beyond the trimming called for in the DB12R instructions. He trimmed material from the outside top and from the inside (right next to the pivot ball) bottom. The inside bottom trimming prevents the steering block from contacting the ball end as car rolls and the spring compresses.

His second (and related) advice was *not* to ream the steering blocks so that they float on the kingpins. Just ream them enough for an easy press fit. The steering blocks don't need to float if the ball end is sufficiently trimmed, and you get less slop in the front end by not having them float.

Sounds to me like both techniques work, you just have to do a careful job on the front end whichever way you choose to do it. What do you think, Jason?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Brian is correct. Normally i run a shim on top of the steering block. I do this for the same reason as brian trims the bottom of the eyelet. I ream the steering block so that is will slide on the kingpin but with no side slop. The reason i do this is because if you take a good hit and the kingpin shifts in the steering block, It will not be able to return and will give the car a tweaked feel. In theory, the only portion of the kingpin that needs to slide on the kingpin is the area through the lower arm. Unfortunately the AE design makes it so it needs to slide through the block,and both the upper and lower arm. I am working on an aftermarket kingpin and upper ball that will make things a whole lot easier.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Kropy
I'll be in Toledo for their first race if my speedo's show up by this weekend.
Too much info bro. Just make sure your speedo's are not to tight. I heard it can make you sterile.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Diff rings, here is what I do.....

Take diff ring, start with 800 grade sandpaper... Yes a little 3-1 oil about 15 minutes each side
clean
then 1500 sandpaper... about 8-minutes per side
clean
Lastly 2000 grid very little oil...... about 5 minutes per side....
clean You can almost see yourself on them....
I use auto repair sandpaper..... Diffs last a long time......
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

sounds like to much work! sanding them on teh sidewalk works to!!!

J, how close are you to being done with this tuning guide you were talking about..
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

beautiful piece Jason! I got to race against a certain car maker that was running your car and it was pretty good! nice looking too!

good job man...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Nova F1 Racer,
You are using to fine sandpaper. I recommend using 600 wet/dry only. You are actually making them so smooth they will not grip the diff balls. To get the diff locked you have to tighten the diff nut to much and risk damaging the balls or rings. Using the 600 only gives the diff balls something to grip so you don't have to over tighten the diff nut. The radius of a 1/8th diff ball cannot fell the scratches made by 600 grit sandpaper. A properly prepared diff will not slip but when the spur gear is held the wheels will spin freely in the opposit directions. Try it.

Dave "DiffDude" Irrgang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.