Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 2.0 starter box - belt snapping issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is the internals of the starter box. The flywheel and the pully underneith which holds the belt cannot be moved.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 2.0 starter box - belt snapping issue-starter-1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
no problem just remember to have 1mm to 2mm of play in the belt or it will snap.

1mm is what i whould try first.
The top screw on the motor allowed it to be adjusted, so I moved the motor out a bit to enable some movement in the gears.

I had a spare Losi belt so I'll see how I go, hopefully this resolves the issue otherwise Im going to have to wait for the other belts to arrive!
Attached Thumbnails Losi 2.0 starter box - belt snapping issue-starter-2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by KyoshoKid
The top screw on the motor allowed it to be adjusted, so I moved the motor out a bit to enable some movement in the gears.

I had a spare Losi belt so I'll see how I go, hopefully this resolves the issue otherwise Im going to have to wait for the other belts to arrive!

did you set the belt with 1mm of play at least ?

the thing i notice is if you have the belt fully tighten it seems to rub the power off .
your losi red box is a bit diffrent than my eight-t black starter box.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
did you set the belt with 1mm of play at least ?

the thing i notice is if you have the belt fully tighten it seems to rub the power off .
your losi red box is a bit diffrent than my eight-t black starter box.
The belt did have some slack but not sure how to adjust it to 1mm. The 2 pullys cannot be adjusted (I think) as the screws that hold them in cannot be adjusted. I'll have another look.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Prophet

The belt did have some slack but not sure how to adjust it to 1mm. The 2 pullys cannot be adjusted (I think) as the screws that hold them in cannot be adjusted. I'll have another look.

1mm is just a tick of play with your finger go up and down with it thats how you can tell.

i learn this from racing electric touring car racing back in the day.

the screws on the motor should allow you to adjust the tention and gear mesh.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

FYI you cant adjust the belt tension in the RTR box... Make sure that all of the teeth are in good shape sometimes dirt/burned up rubber clogs them up and that can cause problems... Are you trying to break in a new engine? These Losi starter boxes aren't really up to the task and if you don't break the belt it will melt the gears... Get the Blue Ofna Truggy box and you will never have a problem again
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

TC5 it is really best not to comment on things when you don't know what you're talking about. The losi 2.0 box is completely and totally different than your old school losi box. The belt tension cannot be adjusted in the 2.0 box.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
TC5 it is really best not to comment on things when you don't know what you're talking about. The losi 2.0 box is completely and totally different than your old school losi box. The belt tension cannot be adjusted in the 2.0 box.
had another look, the 2 gears that hold the belt cannot be adjusted, only the motor can be moved back and forward.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ghost68
FYI you cant adjust the belt tension in the RTR box... Make sure that all of the teeth are in good shape sometimes dirt/burned up rubber clogs them up and that can cause problems... Are you trying to break in a new engine? These Losi starter boxes aren't really up to the task and if you don't break the belt it will melt the gears... Get the Blue Ofna Truggy box and you will never have a problem again
no the motor is already broken in. Hopefully the slight gap now in the gear connected to the motor will allow some movement in the gears and not put too much strain on the losi belt. If it does break I'll try the same gap with the other belt off eBay, I got 3 just in case
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

no the motor is already broken in. Hopefully the slight gap now in the gear connected to the motor will allow some movement in the gears and not put too much strain on the losi belt. If it does break I'll try the same gap with the other belt off eBay, I got 3 just in case
You DO NOT want a loose mesh between the two gears. You WILL strip them out if the mesh is too loose. I would recommend tightening it back up to where it was from the factory.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone got a link to the updated losi 2.0 rtr belt on ebay? I snaped one last year and losi sent me 2 more but haven't used it since. Would be nicce to have a good belt cause they are a POS to change.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
You DO NOT want a loose mesh between the two gears. You WILL strip them out if the mesh is too loose. I would recommend tightening it back up to where it was from the factory.
Oh, when it was mentioned to have a 1mm gap I though this was the way. I'll put it back to factory, I dont want a broken belt AND broken gears!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
anyone got a link to the updated losi 2.0 rtr belt on ebay? I snaped one last year and losi sent me 2 more but haven't used it since. Would be nicce to have a good belt cause they are a POS to change.
I ordered this the other day (after being recommended), its yet to be delivered - http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOSI-8B-T-2-0-Sta...0f0dd3&afsrc=1.

Im not sure if the RTR 2.0 starter box is the same as the stand along 2.0 starter box you get so just confirm the part number LOSA99424.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, when it was mentioned to have a 1mm gap I though this was the way. I'll put it back to factory, I dont want a broken belt AND broken gears!!
I completely understand the confusion. Someone was telling you to do something that isn't possible on your starter box. TC5 is thinking of a more standard style starte box pulley system where the motors directly drive the belt and there is no second gear involved. The losi 2.0 box is different and the adjustment he is talking about isn't possible on it. The belt tension can't be adjusted on the losi box.

I like to use a piece of paper to mesh the gears properly. The gears in the losi box are basically Mod 1 pitch 1/8 scale drive gears. If you slip a piece of notebook paper between the gears and tighten them together you should have the proper mesh... Or just put it back to the way it came if you remember what that was.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ordered this the other day (after being recommended), its yet to be delivered - http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOSI-8B-T-2-0-Sta...0f0dd3&afsrc=1.

Im not sure if the RTR 2.0 starter box is the same as the stand along 2.0 starter box you get so just confirm the part number LOSA99424.
sweet thanks just ordered one, the rtr seems to be a good box other then the belt Grrr.