Like Tree2Likes

Top Racing Single Belt TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Sounds pretty cool
Meh.

It's a hotch-potch of what someone with limited time and resources can do without quitting their day job.

The crucial goal I need to achieve if I am to prove anything is to eek some advantage from perfect symmetry and weight centralisation. If I manage to find a clear advantage, the exercise might mean something. If not, it will just be another dead end. Compared to the Gizmo, I don't think I can win. The question of drivetrain efficiency (one belt vs two) still bugs me, and right now I am inclined to think the Gizmo has the edge there. I hope I am wrong, hence the motivation to run this expensive (for me) experiment.

I might be able to move the motor back further than the Gizmo, and place the battery down the centre (think either shorty length wise or square pack, or even saddle packs side by side or across). Test fittings suggest this is possible.

I am now thinking about a central servo mechanism, something direct on the servo with no linkages.

Another idea is to have the battery straight up front and the steering servo behind it, somewhere in front of the motor, to put more weight on the front.

We'll see what comes out of it if I ever finish it.

Last edited by niznai; 10-28-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"Cutting edge" doesn't always mean superior. It's used to describe the latest or most advanced development. Over engineered designs like those listed above do classify as cutting edge.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Doesn't the most advanced development in anything have to be superior in some way to existing whatever it is you develop?

Why would anyone waste their time to develop it if not?!

Hey, I have developed a new flux capacitor! It is not superior in any way to existing ones, but it is cutting edge by definition because it is the latest development, I just finished working on it two minutes ago!

And those chassies are not cutting edge really. Like someone said. Revisited developments of existing designs, yes. Innovative, yes. Cutting edge in my opinion implies an element of net superiority, which none have as yet demonstrated.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by niznai
Doesn't the most advanced development in anything have to be superior in some way to existing whatever it is you develop?
No, advanced doesn't always mean superior, although is occasionally used as a synonym. It mainly means newer, further ahead in development etc. Please take a look at a dictionary or thesaurus before claiming your usage of a term is the only correct usage.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
No, advanced doesn't always mean superior, although is occasionally used as a synonym. It mainly means newer, further ahead in development etc. Please take a look at a dictionary or thesaurus before claiming your usage of a term is the only correct usage.

I challenge you to show me where I made that claim.

Besides, I think you will run into some serious trouble trying to justify "advanced" without "superior". In just about any language, not only english where both came from Latin and where both meant "above" or "in front".

Ha. Lessons of semantics in an RC thread.

Please finish high school before you make yourself the laughing stock of the world.

PS. Try and explain your teacher that advanced algebra is in no way superior to "normal" algebra (if you ever reach that level).

Good bye.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I challenge you to show me where I made that claim.
Sure.
Cutting edge shows a decisive improvement over everything else through a significant advantage
Doesn't the most advanced development in anything have to be superior in some way
It doesn't have to be superior. One usage is such, and you're telling me that it can't be used in any other meanings where it doesn't, simply by saying it "has to be".

Besides, I think you will run into some serious trouble trying to justify "advanced" without "superior". In just about any language, not only english where both came from Latin and where both meant "above" or "in front".
That is not incompatible with my earlier explanation that it often means newer, moving forward. In this case it could mean to make more complex, or potentially over-engineer in an attempt to innovate like you said earlier.

A quick Google search comes up with this definition of "cutting edge" for me:

Originally Posted by Google
adjective
highly advanced; innovative or pioneering.
"cutting-edge technology"
That does describe the Awesomatix, Gizmo and 4-X cars. But you're telling us that, due to your opinion, we can't use that definition.

Cutting edge in my opinion implies an element of net superiority
I had to search a bit deeper to find a definition that specifically requires that the advancement has actually made a significant improvement to qualify as cutting edge. Most definitions I found focus on the "most modern" usage.

Please finish high school before you make yourself the laughing stock of the world.

PS. Try and explain your teacher that advanced algebra is in no way superior to "normal" algebra (if you ever reach that level).
I finished my university degree years ago, there's no need for such childish remarks. And that algebra example is terrible, advanced algebra is more complex but it's not "better".
Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Top Racing Single Belt TC-image.jpeg  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

@racenut123 - That is true!

I am glad that someone is revisiting a single belt design for whatever reason. There are plenty of things that get revisited and this is the first time that I have seen a such criticism. Active rear toe wasn't new when Awesomatix used it. I wish Losi would have revisited there prototype of the XXX-S and released that but the Top car is going to the closest thing to it. I would love to see pictures of the EJ's car if anyone has some or maybe he could post some himself.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hook it up Juan!
Originally Posted by Castradamus
I would love to see pictures of the EJ's car if anyone has some or maybe he could post some himself.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

From Friendface.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Top Racing Single Belt TC-topsb.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

how much is the conversion kit?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

....How good is that going to be?! No belts or other moving parts to sap power, no leaky diffs, magic o-rings and so on, and tuning is done without removing a single screw or even coming off the driver stand, from your radio. Good times ahead.
But by adding unsprung weight.
Will be interesting to see if it can be done without effecting the handling in adverse ways.
Also means more wiring and electrical components to go wrong.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreeBandz
how much is the conversion kit?
180.00 dollars from RC Market
Old 10-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

I think Top USA is far less. Don't hold me to it. But I believe the conversion is $160

Last edited by Juan Aveytia; 11-04-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
But by adding unsprung weight.
Will be interesting to see if it can be done without effecting the handling in adverse ways.
Also means more wiring and electrical components to go wrong.
True, that is a problem, that is why I thought initially you could have the motors inboard and use classic driveshafts, which is still a step forward even if you only get rid of belts and diffs.

Wiring is not a problem, yes, there would be more of it, but we have managed to wire computers and stuff, and that isn't simple, I reckon we can deal with four motors and their sensor wires (in fact you could have one set of sensor wires for both front motors and one rear and multiplex the signal).

The speedy would have a lot of wires coming out of it, but then again, you could have the speedy split in control stage and power stage and have the control stage in one and four power stages on the motors. And electronics have proven to be much more reliable than mechanicals even though they can go wrong too, I accept that. Look at the vast array of electronics in daily use today in hard conditions, like electric cars, and airplanes and stuff. Nah, done properly electronics are the most reliable systems we have ever come up with. If only everything else was as reliable.

I guess my point is electronics are easier to adapt than mechanicals, which by the looks of it have reached their limit. I mean from where we are now it is difficult to see any mechanical improvement/optimisation. Maybe you could come up with some sort of hydraulic drive, but again, how simple could that be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.