Wiki Posts
Search

Is it the motor or the carb that makes a good motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Is it the motor or the carb that makes a good motor

Over the years of racing I have always come back to one thing Novarossi carbs. I have run every thing and I always put a Novarossi carb on the motor. I have a Werks B3 with a Nova carb, a OPS SFV21B with a Nova carb, and a Novarossi with a Nova carb and they all run the same, GREAT. I cant say they ran that way with the stock carbs. I just broke in a new motor today and before I even started the motor I put a Novarossi carb on it and every thin went great. How many of you guys run Nova carbs on a non Nova motor with good luck?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
Over the years of racing I have always come back to one thing Novarossi carbs. I have run every thing and I always put a Novarossi carb on the motor. I have a Werks B3 with a Nova carb, a OPS SFV21B with a Nova carb, and a Novarossi with a Nova carb and they all run the same, GREAT. I cant say they ran that way with the stock carbs. I just broke in a new motor today and before I even started the motor I put a Novarossi carb on it and every thin went great. How many of you guys run Nova carbs on a non Nova motor with good luck?
i have seen many who do the same
i have also seen many who put os carbs on their engines

it is hard to get a better design than the novarossi carb (short needle design)
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Basically, OS and Nova have both figured out something in the carb department that just plain works better than everyone else. The only other carb I really like is the orange one that came with a Star made RB Xenon Alpha onroad motor. Basically it's a billet made clone of the Nova cast aluminum carb. I think some of the other Star (Sirio) based motors are coming with a non-anodized version of that carb now.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would have to agree with Sean. The carb is such an important aspect of the engine that most engine guys keep a box of primo carbs that get swapped from one engine to another. The rest of the engine is critically important too, but only once you're sure that the carb is spot on.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SteveP
The carb is such an important aspect of the engine that most engine guys keep a box of primo carbs that get swapped from one engine to another.
Yep, I do that. One of my onroad motors (I actually don't know for sure which motor it's on) has the carb from an old 2000 era RB C4 on it. That thing just runs right no matter what I do. Oddly enough, that is actually the only Nova carb I have ever had a problem with. The HSN seals were junk brand new. Replaced it with a double o-ring RB needle and it's been fool-proof ever since.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I noticed for a period of time that Novarossi was over-stuffing their O-rings (much too tight) and it was causing them to be cut in the assembly process. This combined with the fact that the assembly lube would dry out and make the needles REALLY hard to adjust and cause the O-rings to tear. Like you, once I replaced the O-rings and was more careful that their installed properly, but they turned out to be pretty good carbs.

BTW - did you notice that the assembly lube during that time period would eventually cause corrosion around the needles?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default carbs

At this time I run a Fusion Mod Werks B3 with a old Nova P5 carb in Buggy and a Vega Hurricane Speed www.spmracingparts.com .21 in Truggy with a +4 carb. The Vega motor is made by a company in Italy called Cipola Motori the oldest italian micro motor company out there, and with the Nova carb it runs great!!!!!with the carb it came with, not so much. It killed the motor in the US but the motor itself with a new carb is great.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Most of the time people replace carbs (not referring to you specifically) is because the one they install has been tuned previously.... the one that comes with it hasnt.

I personally hate Nova carbs because of the short neede design (relax Monty haha) I like the smoother delivery of a long needle (OS, Sirio, CMB flat slide ohhh ya betcha never seen one of those) mileage it better and the tune isnt only limited to idle and WOT mixture...... my Vspecs blow fins off alot of high dollar engines with a 6mm restrictor and get 9 mins + anywhere I've ever raced. Stepping up to Speed IIs next year so I might have to throw in a 5.5 and get 11 mins + with the rediculous amount of power they make.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default motor

I guess I like the short needle design because they work great for me. As far as Sirio carbs go Junk imo. CMB ran them in boats for the last 10 years and that is a motor made to run WO. Rich Reed was the importer of the CMB RS Pro and Andy Brown did the CMB Mac 21 that I ran for a few years. Like I said I have run them all and Nova and OS carbs are all I will use.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I personally hate Nova carbs because of the short neede design (relax Monty haha) I like the smoother delivery of a long needle (OS, Sirio, CMB flat slide ohhh ya betcha never seen one of those)
Yeah, the short needle can be a little tricky to get right if you do a lot of part throttle driving but it can be done.

Yes, I have seen the flat slide carb. Better yet, I think I still have an old Picco torque carb around here somewhere
Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

As far as Sirio carbs go Junk imo.
Agree completely. Except for like I said earlier. The new billet ones that are really just Nova clones seem to work very well. At least the one I have does.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I guess I like the short needle design because they work great for me. As far as Sirio carbs go Junk imo. CMB ran them in boats for the last 10 years and that is a motor made to run WO. Rich Reed was the importer of the CMB RS Pro and Andy Brown did the CMB Mac 21 that I ran for a few years. Like I said I have run them all and Nova and OS carbs are all I will use.
Sounds like we're from the same mold then.... I ran some of Rich's motors back in the day, as well as Andys stuff (even the buggy motor he did for awhile back around 06) He's actually making some hardware for my .12 rigger right now, I still run boats from time to time.... lol small R/C world. IMO boats teach you more about engines and tuning than cars ever will..... much more technical on tune and setup.

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yeah, the short needle can be a little tricky to get right if you do a lot of part throttle driving but it can be done.

Yes, I have seen the flat slide carb. Better yet, I think I still have an old Picco torque carb around here somewhere
haha I hated those picco "torque" carbs...... ugh, I had a Lamberto modded XS220 that he swapped out to something different Picco had years ago. That carb was solid but the torque's I couldnt ever get them sealed up and run with any consistency.

The thing that surprises me is how many carbs are designed for heat soak.... when IMO that is most of the tuning issues people have, not letting the engine fully warm up before wearing theyre screwdriver out. Heat soak designs are more critical of this than say an OS...... next time yur at the track run your car for a tank and fee the temp (or use your gun) on the carb at the body just below the HSN.... then go temp an OS.... the OS will be ithin a few degrees every single run.... a heat soak type will vary up to 50 degrees. I think thats what make OS a much more consistent carb to tune.