Search
Like Tree344Likes

3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dobbs
Thanks so much. I used this exact setup the first time out and was pretty close and very impressed with my $110 car as were many others. So impressed that I just picked up another for USGT. Only had to make a few small changes on the evening and ran second in the A the first night with the car and first time in VTA.

Anyone got a good starting point for USGT set-up?

Thanks,
Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I ordered the sak-u317 stabilizer set and have just about finished the build and notice that neither the set or the kit have what is needed to attach the bars to the front arms. I cannot find whatever it is anywhere, stores or manual. Am I missing something or just overlooking something?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRC_DRIVER
Thanks so much. I used this exact setup the first time out and was pretty close and very impressed with my $110 car as were many others. So impressed that I just picked up another for USGT. Only had to make a few small changes on the evening and ran second in the A the first night with the car and first time in VTA.

Anyone got a good starting point for USGT set-up?

Thanks,
Welcome. I say start with the same basic setup as your VTA and go from there. May just need to fine tune a few minor adjustments like you did with your VTA. Since you should have more grip with the GT tires you may have lean your shocks in a little more and change spring rate to accommodate the added grip. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Canuck5902
I ordered the sak-u317 stabilizer set and have just about finished the build and notice that neither the set or the kit have what is needed to attach the bars to the front arms. I cannot find whatever it is anywhere, stores or manual. Am I missing something or just overlooking something?

Need to ream a hole into the ball-cup end. The ball-stud end mounts directly into the A-arm. There is a mounting ring inside the kit (bolted down with a pair of tiny screws) to allow you to bolt the ball-stud end onto the A-arms.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I must ask a questions I can not find an answer to. I want to purchase the Ultimate as it has all the parts I want on it already or should I just pick up the XI Sport and build it up? Pro or cons either?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Measuredpath
I must ask a questions I can not find an answer to. I want to purchase the Ultimate as it has all the parts I want on it already or should I just pick up the XI Sport and build it up? Pro or cons either?
I believe its cheaper just to buy the Ultimate instead of buying the XI and putting all the Ultimate parts on it.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

The Ultimate has some items that I probably wouldn't bother to run myself. SSK Driveshafts, Teflon shock shafts, titanium turnbuckles; are cool but I would rather spend money on other things or improve my driving before focusing on these items. Carbon fibre is nice...but I have found the FRP chassis to be more than adequate.

I also run a front diff with 1 million grease. Neither car has this, so this would be an irrelevant cost to compare. I do not believe the Ultimate has swaybars either, which would also be a small, yet still irrelevant cost to the comparison.

The XI Sport has street tires and wheels, which the Ultimate does not. Again, an irrelevant cost to compare, unless your purpose is to just drive around an empty parking lot.

The XI is a cost-effective car that is competitive right out of the box. The nice thing I like about it is that after $120 in customized components, I can happily say that mine looks like no other, and I'm beating people with cars that are 4X the price.

The only real racing hopup I would consider to add to a bare bones XI is the Floating Servo Mount. Also to note, the graphite arms and knuckles on the Ultimate are a lot more brittle than the composite ones on the XI.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boxer7754
Is this a good drift car?
Yes. It is a good drift car. It is not a fancy drift car. But it is a good drift car.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by boxer7754
Is this a good drift car?
Yes, but 3Racing has released a drift version of this chassis as the 3Racing Sakura D3. They are practically the same.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
The Ultimate has some items that I probably wouldn't bother to run myself. SSK Driveshafts, Teflon shock shafts, titanium turnbuckles; are cool but I would rather spend money on other things or improve my driving before focusing on these items. Carbon fibre is nice...but I have found the FRP chassis to be more than adequate.

I also run a front diff with 1 million grease. Neither car has this, so this would be an irrelevant cost to compare. I do not believe the Ultimate has swaybars either, which would also be a small, yet still irrelevant cost to the comparison.

The XI Sport has street tires and wheels, which the Ultimate does not. Again, an irrelevant cost to compare, unless your purpose is to just drive around an empty parking lot.

The XI is a cost-effective car that is competitive right out of the box. The nice thing I like about it is that after $120 in customized components, I can happily say that mine looks like no other, and I'm beating people with cars that are 4X the price.

The only real racing hopup I would consider to add to a bare bones XI is the Floating Servo Mount. Also to note, the graphite arms and knuckles on the Ultimate are a lot more brittle than the composite ones on the XI.

Hope this helps.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear regarding this. My main concern was the flex in the chassis. I generally build up my cars with parts, but sometimes prefer to have it out of the box.

Tires/wheels are moot as you noted and considering I have a ton of TC slicks and some parking lot sets. I am ample in that department.

Sway bars are an important factor, but do not add to the cost that much. I am still open to either kit and will decide on this in the near future. If anyone else has input to share I am all ears. Especially those that have gone the path of upgrading the XI instead of buying a Ultimate.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

That's exactly what I wanted to hear regarding this. My main concern was the flex in the chassis. I generally build up my cars with parts, but sometimes prefer to have it out of the box.

Tires/wheels are moot as you noted and considering I have a ton of TC slicks and some parking lot sets. I am ample in that department.

Sway bars are an important factor, but do not add to the cost that much. I am still open to either kit and will decide on this in the near future. If anyone else has input to share I am all ears. Especially those that have gone the path of upgrading the XI instead of buying a Ultimate.

When I bought my first XI kit, I picked up graphite arms, hubs, and knuckles as spares because Asiatees was out of stock of the regular composite at the time and I didn't want to do a separate RCmart order. Big mistake. Brought back haunting memories of my old Losi XXX-S Graphite plus. I shattered 6 pieces in a single night of practice with my then-new XI sport. Made an RCmart order that very night and never looked back. In the meantime, I used my composite Sakura zero arms (direct fit, no alterations needed).

With the composite pieces, I just completed a 3 hour Enduro race in Vancouver without breaking a single part. In my case, souping up a stock XI sport has been more cost effective than buying the Ultimate. But it really depends on how far you decide to go with your hop ups. If Titanium turnbuckles and Teflon shafts ever become the primary reason that I missed the TQ spot, then I'll consider getting a "pro-level" car. In the meantime, I'm happy running consistent laps and doing minimal maintenance on this car, while spending my money on other fancy things in life.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I believe only the newer batch of Ultimate has the graphite composite arms as standard. The older ones have the less rigid composite arms identical to the XI Sport.
You can replace the graphite composite arms with the old composite arms, they're cheaper anyway.

If you run the stock front spool, the SSK is a must IMO. Though for those choosing to use a stiff gear diff instead, it'll offer no noticeable benefit.

Oh, and the Ultimate does include sway bars.

Anyway, the XI sport is already a nice car, you don't need to upgrade much for it to be competitive. I only chose the ultimate because I don't have to tap any plastic parts. Lesson learned while building the Zero S.. machine screws in plastic parts = sore hands.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

May i know how to make my xi sport have more steering?
Is it something to do with ackerman?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jourdan
May i know how to make my xi sport have more steering?
Is it something to do with ackerman?
You can adjust the end points or travel of your steering on your transmitter.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Toe-Out will also give you more steering.

If you are looking for crazy amounts of ackerman, you are probably trying to drift. If that's the case, the Sakura D3 knuckles are probably a direct bolt on.

IMO, a good "driver" can drift without the crazy amounts of ackerman.

Last edited by (0000000000); 09-13-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelled "Ackerman" incorrect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.