Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rayhuang
Boy-this really helps to show what my cars doing and where!!!

ON this shot of the left side of our track are the three 180's. My car pushes through the first right handed one on exit-BADLY!!! Makes it hard to carry the speed to the next leftt hander.This section of track is probably the make or break portion. Car has to work through the first two and the one onto the straight is mickey mouse-so no time gained or lost there.
Wow that's a really technical track..thank goodness we have nothing like that down here in down under or my car would be in pieces!

The track that I race most on is quite massive with extremely long straights 120+ feet that go downhill and uphill which probably explain why we use insane gearings.

Last edited by itchynads; 03-06-2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

itchynads-I chuckle everytime I see that screen name....

The killer sweeper wasnt always that tight at the top. Its funny how all the boards move after awhile and you cannot ever get them back. We have a good size Novice class and they hit the boards so hard sometimes!!!

Also-I actually didnt go to the track today..... But we are redoing the track tonight so I hope to test another set-up change tonight before we take it up. If it works' then I'll post my set-up changes tomorrow. If it doesnt work-I wont waste everyones time.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

rayhuang, did you have any problems with the front camber link (out side ball cup) rubbing the inside of the rim (with foam tires)??? I find this to be a problem no matter which brand of tire I use, any help on this subject???
Old 03-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

The Teacher-Yes I did. This is what you do to HELp fix it.

1. Trim top off the ballcup. Dont worry-I've never broken a ballcup that was trimmed. Knock on wood.

2. Take out kingpin ballstud and dremel off about 1mm from threads to shorten.

3. Take a drill bit that is the same diameter as the kingpin and hand drill down into the spindle about 0.5mm. Less is better in this case-read below....

4. Re-assemble and just make sure that the kingpin bottoms out in the spindle-AND is flat to the top of the C-hub!!! You dont want the kingpin to tighten down on the C-hub.

I'll shoot a pic as my car and camera are right here today (for once it all comes together).

Many thanks to Difuser for letting me know I needed to shorten the threads-or it will bind the axles!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-evokingpinmod.jpg  
Old 03-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

or you can do it the easy way... offset the wheels with a 2mm spacer... I use the ones that come with the HPI 3mm offset wheel set. You get a wider track though...which helps stability...
Old 03-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

can anyone tell me why surikarm put 2mm spacers on the rear blocks and none on the front on this setup?

Old 03-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Aluma-please resize that picture!!! Man its annoying trying to look at the set-up sheet. Nothing against you-just-well you know what I mean!!!

I have really found a good set-up for carpet. We redid our track and it is so technical-I love it!!!! We used almost every square inch of carpet-winding the course all over the place. The car was especially good because traction was almost nil at first-slowly coming in as we kept saucing tires-doing three laps-saucing tires and going back out. Car was laxy going in, but thats because of the thick sway bar. Ill reduce it down tto red and car should be hooked for this Sunday!! That is if the front gear on the one-way survives!!! Munched another tonight-well not me-my buddy. And I am all out of new ones!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Spool

Anyone tried a spool in their Evo III?. Are the diff halfs upto it? A few people at my club with Losi's have brokes plastic outputs on them with a spool.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

rayhuang, thanks for the info got some other questions if you don't mind?? First, have you done any testing with 19t motors, if so what spur gear have you found to work the best??? At my home track the roll out can range anywhere from 28mm to 25mm and I run my tires at about 57mm. Second, your setup seems to be real stiff is the track where you run high in traction??? My local track is about the size of the Indoor Champs track this year (a little larger) and has slightly less traction. Just trying to gauge how your setup would work at my local track, any help would be appreciated..........

Last edited by The Teacher; 03-07-2003 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

actually, Its not my pic, i just linked to the one on RCZone.com...
I just wanna know why he raised the rear like that and went with the long wheelbase. Oh, yeah, I checked the underside of the chassis and sure enough, it was scratched at the rear sides just like yours...LOL....I dunno, but right now my evo2 is looking really good. :P
Old 03-07-2003, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

First, have you done any testing with 19t motors
I am still playing with rollouts right now. But so far the best with a Monster has been 1.03" (26mm) or so... Any higher and motor is a pig in the infield. I have found that the C2 based 19t like a big rollout-so I would try 1.07 or so. For me that would be a 35/96 with 2.25" tires (~57mm tires).

Our track can be high grip-but right now is low grip as the layout has only had about four cars on it, but it will come-up fast on Sunday as we always have at least 60 entries and two and a half hours of open practice. I think Purple AE springs is about right for now. I hope to be on Yellow, Yellow AE springs by the mains. I have always prefered a stiffly sprung car over a soft sprung car w/ sway bars. Personal preference.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

rayhuang, thanks for the info once again!! I will try your setup this weekend and let you know how it works for me. I have a front diff in the car so I will probably have to change the setup some. Any of you guys from out that way coming to the Orion Race at The Track in MD, should be lots of competition/fun??? Let me know if you would like info on this race..........
Old 03-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Exclamation ALL NEW SQUARE EVOIII parts "LOOK"!!

CLICK HERE

Lots of new stuff Ti Dog bones ....3mm shock towers and new 3mm chassis....

Enjoy
-Dave
Old 03-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Aluma
can anyone tell me why surikarm put 2mm spacers on the rear blocks and none on the front on this setup?

Alumna, I have mine set up that way too after I got it from David Jun's setup and all I got is better run overall. I don't really know about the technicalities, something to do maybe with low & high roll center???
Right now I also added 2 mm spacers just on the front Sus. block. To ad kick up which increase caster and camber which means better turns but supposedly loses a little steering when entering a turn.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Darn. how do we get rid of that huge set up sheet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.