Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree44Likes

Kyosho Scorpion re-release

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just so people don't think my rant was unjustified I'll give you guys an example of how thing work here in Australia. I have in the past and will in the future still deal with my LHS but mainly with items they have in stock. I'll take an order of say ten parts to the shop. The owner may not have enough of an order to put those ten parts through so waits until he has enough to make it worthwhile, this could be a week or more. Once he has enough the order is put through and processed by the importer which may take another week or two before it arrives back at the hobby shop, by this time if could be a month later. At this point I may or may not receive a call telling me the parts I ordered are here. Once I've found out there's something at the shop for me I either have to drive the 250km round trip to the shop or get them to post it on at extra freight cost to find that the importer only sent three of the parts that I really needed. I find it much easier to get onto a website click on add to cart and know that part is in stock and will be sent with the rest of the order I want to my doorstep within a week or two from anywhere in the world generally. I hope this sheds a little light over my ranting.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default bought it. destroyed it.

Car was really fun with a 17.5 and I shredded it up and down my alley but it's not suitable for today's tracks. Or is it....
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Edintheclouds
Car was really fun with a 17.5 and I shredded it up and down my alley but it's not suitable for today's tracks. Or is it....
Sounds like you are going to find out? I'm going to give it a go, I don't think taking on the biggest jumps on a 1/8 scale track would be wise but certain jumps would be fine. I think it could compete against more modern buggies or SC trucks and be a lot of fun. The buggy handles pretty awesome and puts the power of my 9.5t down well while cornering on rails. I curious to see how it'll go even against four wheel drives. Here it is on my home track, the biggest jump isn't huge but it's a lot bigger than what was around in the 80s lol.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1B6EHCnA3I#
http://youtu.be/yYid1Ktc0E4
Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

here's mine, ready for battle.
currently just a 17.5 in there.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Scorpion re-release-scorp1.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Love my Beetle

Last edited by jgGonzo; 03-18-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm not happy with the low quality of the Scorpion kit at all. People always say how Kyosho kits are the highest quality, but that doesn't apply here.

So far I've had burrs on the metal parts, an unfinished suspension arm, short on hardware, and now this severe bind in the rear suspension.

I've loosened and tightened the suspension mounts and transmission at least 10 times with no success. Any ideas how to fix this? Please help. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I'm not happy with the low quality of the Scorpion kit at all. People always say how Kyosho kits are the highest quality, but that doesn't apply here.

So far I've had burrs on the metal parts, an unfinished suspension arm, short on hardware, and now this severe bind in the rear suspension.

I've loosened and tightened the suspension mounts and transmission at least 10 times with no success. Any ideas how to fix this? Please help. Thanks.
The problem is the dog bones.. they are slightly too long. After you run the car for a while, it will smooth itself out.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm wondering if the new universals will fix it.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoobyrs25
I'm wondering if the new universals will fix it.
They make universals? Could be better or worse.

Is Tamiya PS-6 paint the closest yellow? What about the Duratrax yellow? They have a couple different shades.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry to hear of your dramas. Is this bind severe over the whole travel or just binding around dogbones level? If it's severe over the whole travel I'd say the inner suspension mount is upside down, if it's only around bones level it'll be them. I grind a little off each end until there's no bind. My friend has the universals and I'm sure he didn't have the issue, he didn't mention it anyway.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by asc6000
Of the 3 people running old Scorpions ?
First post for me on these forums. Just found out today about the Re-released Scorpion.
I have a vintage Scorpion that I got back in '83 from a guy who had been racing with it and done quite a few mods to it as well.
Haven't driven it for maybe 25 years now but I've had the idea back in my head for a long time to put a new gearbox on it to allow for new motors and get it running again.
Last time I drove it, it had a Le Mans 480 Gold motor, 8.4V battery and a mechanical resistor speed-control.

Now I find out that with the re-re they've also made a perfect mod-kit for my old Scorpion as well. Can't wait to get it updated and running again with all wear and tear parts replaced as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chktm
Sorry to hear of your dramas. Is this bind severe over the whole travel or just binding around dogbones level? If it's severe over the whole travel I'd say the inner suspension mount is upside down, if it's only around bones level it'll be them. I grind a little off each end until there's no bind. My friend has the universals and I'm sure he didn't have the issue, he didn't mention it anyway.
The bind is pretty constant. I've ensured everything is assembled correctly, including the suspension mounts and transmission.

Can anybody chime in on the paint to match the Kyosho yellow plastic?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would contact kyosho. i had a couple of small issues and they took care of it. i thought the kit was very well made, sounds like you got a lemon.
i had no burrs or anything like that.

i think the car is outstanding. it's fast as hell too. i took it to the local indoor track and while it did struggle with the modern jumps it was awesome everywhere else on the track.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

My two builds went without issue but my friend had a small bur in the rear suspension arm that caused a bearing to break while installing.
With the bind try removing the dogbones and check if the problem is gone, if so it must be the cause if it still binds the problem must be elsewhere.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HatTrick_SWE
First post for me on these forums. Just found out today about the Re-released Scorpion.
I have a vintage Scorpion that I got back in '83 from a guy who had been racing with it and done quite a few mods to it as well.
Haven't driven it for maybe 25 years now but I've had the idea back in my head for a long time to put a new gearbox on it to allow for new motors and get it running again.
Last time I drove it, it had a Le Mans 480 Gold motor, 8.4V battery and a mechanical resistor speed-control.

Now I find out that with the re-re they've also made a perfect mod-kit for my old Scorpion as well. Can't wait to get it updated and running again with all wear and tear parts replaced as well.
Have fun getting your buggy back into action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.