Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am running 66T spur and 27 T pinion on my 103 in 21.5 if that helps,

Beth.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Definitely run the inserts! No inserts, no good. Tried it.
I've always run the stock inserts and I've had a few good results.
Others I've raced with have tried changing inserts for different times of day or track temps or... but I haven't been beat by guys due to inserts. They win for other reasons.
I ran no inserts at the nats last year and I liked the way the car worked, but be forewarned that they dont last very long with no inserts in them
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

yea i do and im running 75/25 speeds are nice and it is around 130.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does someone is having is having template for the F104pro body?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default F104 Pro

Does anyone know where I can get the spacer that replaces the counter balancer on the rear axle?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tdu verney
Does anyone know where I can get the spacer that replaces the counter balancer on the rear axle?
The 8x16mm spacer ? This one : 3450157 ?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

macavant - excellent! Thank you....
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just ordered an f104 f60. decided to go this route to be budget friendly and buy good electrics which I did, purchased a ssx stock spec with a reedy 21.5. what upgrades are necessary to make the base kit work better. I wanted to buy hop-ups as I get used to driving f1. the class is picking up here in SoCal area and just wanted to be a part of this fun class.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

hello everyone
i have the F104w wr1 wolf.
dose anyone know if you can raise the ground clearance on the front of this car?
and what type of tires would you recommend for this car on asphalt parking lots
all it wants to do is spin out with box stock tires.. i would like to use rubber tires
other than foam.i do have a high traction t-bar on it and the diff is tight.as the manual said to do.nothing but spin outs any help here.. thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
hello everyone
i have the F104w wr1 wolf.
dose anyone know if you can raise the ground clearance on the front of this car?
and what type of tires would you recommend for this car on asphalt parking lots
all it wants to do is spin out with box stock tires.. i would like to use rubber tires
other than foam.i do have a high traction t-bar on it and the diff is tight.as the manual said to do.nothing but spin outs any help here.. thanks
The Kit tires on the that car are more for show, than go

You should try the Shimizu F-103 tires
Go with harder front, softer rear for the easiest to drive car

Sean at TQ is the US Shimizu importer
Check with him for the info on those
He will be back from Holiday next week

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...?s_maker_id=49
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Shameless Plug : If I can't get it from my LHS, TQRCracing is legit!
Best pricing around in US. I've made 3 purchases from them in the past 3 weeks and 2-3 days at my door. No hassles.

That's why I ordered more parts from them this morning.

Just wish this was in stock.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...on_id=&pg_no=1
I wanna try it with my Exotek adj.arm Links.

BTW.. This was the first race weekend that I've got to run a 21.5 brushless in my F1. All I have to say is "WOW! Hell Yeah!". Looks like I'll be burning thru rubber tires quicker.
We've always run silver Johnson Cans at our local track as a voted club rule. Next Season we are 21.5 like most other tracks.

F1 is picking up in the Midwest too.

Last edited by theDover; 07-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derbrylac
just ordered an f104 f60. decided to go this route to be budget friendly and buy good electrics which I did, purchased a ssx stock spec with a reedy 21.5. what upgrades are necessary to make the base kit work better. I wanted to buy hop-ups as I get used to driving f1. the class is picking up here in SoCal area and just wanted to be a part of this fun class.
F1 is picking up in So Cal? It's been up for a while now.
Go to uf1series.com and see what you've been missing.

The only upgrades you NEED would be a center shock TRF or can go 3racing cheaper but "cheaper" , front wheel bearings, better spur and pinion gear selection (for your 21.5 get the 93/104 tooth spur set, use the 93t and a 34 tooth pinion, yeh you can mix Tamiya's pitch gears and 64 pitch gears just fine) and Pit Shimizu tires #571 and 572 rubber which will mount on Tamiya rims made for foam tires. Yep rims for foam tires. Been covered here extensively, there's even an entire thread for Pit Shimizu tires for this car. Can't be beat.
Build it to the kit specs, ride height etc but run the damper plates very loose, center T plate/bar screw very loose, light 15 or 20 wt oil and the softest shock spring you can find, gold or flourescent red or even the new black spring for the F104X1. Just keep the rear setup soft and loose.
Of course there are a million hop ups you may "want" but to get your car working, you won't need much to get going.
Get all of your stuff from speedtechrc.com or tqrcracing.com. Between them you will find everything you need.
The F60 kit has the fiberglass chassis and steel rear axle which are both a plus for running on asphalt.
Be sure you go and run it and get tips at Tamiya Raceway on Saturdays, it's free and only open to Tamiya cars/owners.
Glad to help if you'd like to pm me any questions.
This is the car I've been racing for a couple years since they came out, with upgrades of course.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

what he maens by picking up is downhere in san diego its the fastest growing class down here. we have guys buying cars daily down here. we will soon be up to your guys races soon. our last parking lot race had over 100 enteries with 16 heats not bad for being the 2nd race of the track. the first race had over 80. we also have a points series starting up next month
http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...ts-series.html
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
F1 is picking up in So Cal? It's been up for a while now.
Go to uf1series.com and see what you've been missing.

The only upgrades you NEED would be a center shock TRF or can go 3racing cheaper but "cheaper" , front wheel bearings, better spur and pinion gear selection (for your 21.5 get the 93/104 tooth spur set, use the 93t and a 34 tooth pinion, yeh you can mix Tamiya's pitch gears and 64 pitch gears just fine) and Pit Shimizu tires #571 and 572 rubber which will mount on Tamiya rims made for foam tires. Yep rims for foam tires. Been covered here extensively, there's even an entire thread for Pit Shimizu tires for this car. Can't be beat.
Build it to the kit specs, ride height etc but run the damper plates very loose, center T plate/bar screw very loose, light 15 or 20 wt oil and the softest shock spring you can find, gold or flourescent red or even the new black spring for the F104X1. Just keep the rear setup soft and loose.
Of course there are a million hop ups you may "want" but to get your car working, you won't need much to get going.
Get all of your stuff from speedtechrc.com or tqrcracing.com. Between them you will find everything you need.
The F60 kit has the fiberglass chassis and steel rear axle which are both a plus for running on asphalt.
Be sure you go and run it and get tips at Tamiya Raceway on Saturdays, it's free and only open to Tamiya cars/owners.
Glad to help if you'd like to pm me any questions.
This is the car I've been racing for a couple years since they came out, with upgrades of course.
I will be another San Diego F1 Rookie Driver, first off thanks for your help. I am still a little confused why you are saying to get hard rears? The guy who TQ'd here at our parking lot track with a FGX was using Soft ribbed shimizu's on front and soft ribbed shimizu's on rear. I been trying to read through all this info and I have seen both suggested. Are the Hards on the rear meant to last longer? I want to order tires and so far i got the soft fronts shimizu's and both med and Soft rears in the cart? Do I really want the hards in the rear, I know there is a thread that talks more about this- so I'm off to find it. Any help / advice / links are appreciated by this rookie- Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.