Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires.......#1 most expensive item for racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I would vi e mine away but can not because of prices i unmount tires after few runs re use foam and rim and buy tires without foam or rim helps alot but is ton of extra work
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1BLADE1
it's the cash cow of the industry.......!!!!!
if some company came out with a half good tire and sold them for $10.00
a pair they "WOULD DESTROY" the other companies...!!!
Are you talking tires only, or tires/wheels? A set of four Sweeps are $25... that's $12.50 pair.

We pay $15+ for a measly pair of control arms... which is nothing but molded piece of plastic. That is it. How in the world does a one-piece mold of plastic cost that much is beyond me... or maybe "it's all the R+D, tooling costs, shipping/packaging, etc". What a joke.

Parts markup is the biggest joke in the R/C industry... try and build an O.S. Speed by just buying spares. It would be more than DOUBLE the price of just buying a whole unit. Try and build a 1/8th scale kit by just buying parts... even more ridiculous. Parts are the bread-and-butter of profit.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They charge what they charge cause we pay it. The mark up on tires is nothing compared to the markup on the high-end engines(OS Speed/Nova, lol $400 really?).

Sweep tires are really good, and when you consider they are $45 for a set of 4 mounted, best tires on the market. Its amazing that more people dont run them. I still buy aka and jconcept tires, but only when they are on sale/bogo. My laptimes arent any faster nor do they last any longer. Its just nice to have a selection to help dial in on varying conditions.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You guys think they are expensive. Try 1/5 scale. LOL
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

There's been about of good points, but still you guys are still forgetting what your really paying for..

Your favorite drivers to run them
Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Simple answer to this just race in club races with that have some big races than trust me with smoother driving and being smoother on the throttle your tires soft compound or diffrent ones your tires will last much longer. Shoot i run my truggy tires intill there is no grip left on them ! I run the same soft compound all season heat races and mains . Note though i dont race at many other track accept two tracks.

The dirt surface i ran on one was hard packed red clay that can get dusty and the other the other track was loamy soft packed soil dirt. Il be honest with you i wouldnt go to a track that is blue grove or plain just hard on tires.

I just started in a pro truggy class two times last season .

Last edited by tc5 man; 01-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Are you talking tires only, or tires/wheels? A set of four Sweeps are $25... that's $12.50 pair.

We pay $15+ for a measly pair of control arms... which is nothing but molded piece of plastic. That is it. How in the world does a one-piece mold of plastic cost that much is beyond me... or maybe "it's all the R+D, tooling costs, shipping/packaging, etc". What a joke.

Parts markup is the biggest joke in the R/C industry... try and build an O.S. Speed by just buying spares. It would be more than DOUBLE the price of just buying a whole unit. Try and build a 1/8th scale kit by just buying parts... even more ridiculous. Parts are the bread-and-butter of profit.

And not to mention most of the parts are made in China .
But that is the most profit that manf/hobby stores make it from .
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A lot of people complain about how expensive tires are, but you have to think about the top manufacturer's expenses. Sponsoring races, giving away tires to all racers at some races, R&D costs, supporting top racers to represent, and tires that are made in the US at their facility (Proline/AKA).

That is why smaller name tires companies can sell tires cheaper than bigger names. Personally, I would much rather support US based/made tire companies than save a few bucks and buy overseas.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The other day for the hell of it I added up what It would cost to build an MP9 in spares off ebay and without shipping it came to within 20-40$ the full kit price...I was pretty surprised. Try that on a full size auto. Pretty good deal I'd say for the RC stuff. Not totally sure of the total markup from the manufacturer though. Anybody have an idea? Manufacturer>distributor>LHS>enthusiast.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likeaboss
The other day for the hell of it I added up what It would cost to build an MP9 in spares off ebay and without shipping it came to within 20-40$ the full kit price...I was pretty surprised. Try that on a full size auto. Pretty good deal I'd say for the RC stuff. Not totally sure of the total markup from the manufacturer though. Anybody have an idea? Manufacturer>distributor>LHS>enthusiast.
Plus shipping a couple dozen times. I wasn't talking kit breakers from someone with a vendor account... Try it from a dealer.

You can't buy a chassis/unibody seperately for a fullsize auto. Or a complete locking mechanism for that matter, not without a vin #. Automotive parts market is flooded with alternative, non-OE companies.

I understand its not just the RC industry and it's not a linear equation where a kit costs XYZ, so we have to figure out how much each part costs to get to XYZ. But there's a difference between reasonable and asinine pricing because the market has dictated what consumers pay.

SWIM knows a big word: conscious parallelism.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I used to run at a track in a warehouse that had a type of kitty litter clay mix that had so much traction we ran slicks, on all cars 1/10 and 1/8... Now that was a cheap way to go and it took tires out of the equation so it was all driver/tune ability... WIsh there was more places like that
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can't buy a chassis/unibody seperately for a fullsize auto. Or a complete locking mechanism for that matter, not without a vin #.
Sometimes you can. Never know these days.
http://i.autoblog.com/2009/06/12/for...te-for-racers/
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

asian tyre companies, answer? Lious tyres...we get them here and they work great! WAY better than vppros....11$ a pair converted here for me...so might be even cheaper for you guys in the US. check them out if you dont know them

http://www.louiserc.com/products.php

at HALF ( yes ± 25$ for 4 buggy) the price for a full set than AKA's....and the Pirate is very close to the Ibeam/City block...works everywhere...well atleast here...AND they LAAAAAAAASSSSSTTTTT which is awesome. only downside about them is they go like hotcakes around here so as soon as a shipment comes in, it is out again, people just buy up crate fulls. almost all the truggy guys over here like to run them too.

the other tyres we like to run here now is the Procircuit sweetshots....but most poeple know them and they are about 2/3 the price of AKA's over here. I dont run AKA or anything close to their cost....and i dont like vppro tyres either...they just dont last long enough..I have found my sweetspot so to speek with the Lious tyres and Procircuits

Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 01-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

procircuit doesnt have a DIST in the states at least I have not seen it.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Neither does Louise. I tried on several occasions to get them in my shop and for the last 16 months Louise has been telling me that a USa distributor is coming soon if I had an extra $50,000 laying around I would become the distributor myself. I friend of mine was sponsored by them when they first started production and they make lots of cool stuff, not just tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.